Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two months in! Need some advice on achieving muscle definition. page

Merry Death is offline Member

Two months in! Need some advice on achieving muscle definition.

I couldn't decide whether to put this in the nutrition or fitness forum, but I think my problem may be with what I'm eating. I put both up anyway, just in case. XD

I'm 26, female, 5'5". I have no idea what my weight is, because I haven't stepped on a scale in years, but as far as body composition goes I feel I could stand to lose ten pounds of fat. I've been paleo/primal with varying degrees of faithfulness for about two months, and aside from feeling fabulous I haven't really seen a change in clothes fit or flab loss. I still have a lingering spare tire, and the backs of my thighs are pretty hideous. I'm probably at a "healthy" weight, but I'd love love LOVE to see more muscle definition, and I'm not sure how to achieve that. If you could give me some advice, I'd love it! I've read all the blogs and books pretty obsessively, but I figured it might be time to look to a community for some extra tips and support. ^__^

These are very recent pictures of me:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6071144_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...7_451414_n.jpg

CHEESY MYSPACE BICEP SHOT:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7871324_n.jpg

My daily food intake is fairly uncomplicated. Consistently for the last three weeks I've been eating in a day either a half a chicken in a day, or a half a pound to a pound of beef, or a couple of chicken breasts. Then some broccoli or cauliflower steamed and pan fried in coconut oil, or a big bowl of pumpkin with coconut butter and cinammon. At night if I'm craving food, or in the morning if I have time I indulge in pumpkin pancakes (2 omega 3 eggs, 2tbsp coconut flour, 3tbsp pumpkin, 1tbsp coconut milk) with a pat of butter, and on the weekends if I'm being bad I may overindulge in cashews and raisins. I've been drinking maybe half a glass of "So Delicious" unsweetened coconut milk, and my regular beverage is home-brewed lemon zinger tea, unsweetened. Sometimes I'll drink coffee, black. I drink coconut water after workouts if I have it. Probably my worst clinging habit is that I'll take a metabolism booster in the morning about an hour before I have to wake up, because I like the energy boost. (Either ripped fuel or lipo-6 Black concentrate Hers) I usually get 9 hours of sleep, about twice a week I'll only get 5 or 6. I work evenings, so I'll stay up until three and wake up at noon. I won't eat until working out, and afterwards is when I eat most of my meat.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also take a multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin d.

This is my current workout schedule, I've recently changed it a bit to split the kettle bell workouts into arms/legs. I -was- trying to do 50 8-count bodybuilders every morning, but I was only able to do less and less of them. The new things I've added are boxing, which I'm doing on my own for now but will be joining a class next week.

Monday:
    jump rope, tabata
    4 pull ups
    4 chin ups
    7 overhead presses
    15 x 2 chest flys (with 2 15lb kettle bells)
    15 each arm clean + presses (15lb)
    15 bent over rows with each arm (35lb kettlebell)
    planks
    bridges

Tuesday:
    50 8-count body builders
    shadow boxing

Wednesday:
    boxing class

Thursday:
    4 pull ups
    4 chin ups
    25 rocking squats (w/ 15lb)
    25 x 2 kettle bell swings (w/ 35lb)
    25 x 2 squats (w/ 35lb)
    25 x 2 more kettle bell swings
    planks
    bridges

Friday:
    boxing class

Saturday:
    50 8-count body builders
    shadow boxing

Sunday:
    Sleep forever!
    Last edited by Merry Death; 05-29-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Hammermill is offline Member
    We are our own worst critics. You look great and I know you are anxious to achieve your goals, but I hope you take a deload week from training when your are feeling sluggish (if not halve your volume for one week then get back at it the following week). Your body needs time to heal from the workouts you are putting it through. Generally I'll take a deload once every 4-8 weeks or so. I determine this by how tired/exhausted/fatigued/moody I am. If i'm working out 5 days/week I'll roughly halve my volume and only workout 2-3 days/week.

I am not a running fan but altering your physique is more of a marathon than a sprint, in other words, you will reach your goals but you need to pace yourself.

As far as diet goes, you may want to check out the leangains style of intermittent fasting. And pumpkin is one of my favorite foods (w/cinnamon and cracked pepper for a little bite).

Thanks Hammermill! Reading up on leangains now.

Pumpkin was one of my best food "discoveries". I had never thought of eating it out of season before, for some reason. Now there are days when I eat entire cans of the stuff. SO GOOD <3

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I would say, change up your workout routine a little. I don't see a period of frequent movement listed. A lot of what I see is high intensity stuff. If there's one thing I learned from all those fitness "info"mercials is, the plateau effect. My body composition has changed noticeably (can't say majorly, but I see results). I walk three miles to the gym I go to daily. I only engage in cross fit once a week, or once every other week (depends on the muscle soreness). I also vary my martial Arts disciplines - mix grappling arts with my striking activities. If you can find a grappling place, it might help alleviate any perceived plateau you may be reaching. I say this because the movements are different in concentration, and execution.

Pumpkin nom nom...

It's been about three weeks since I posted this, and I wanted to follow up and say that I am getting the results I wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I would say, change up your workout routine a little. I don't see a period of frequent movement listed. A lot of what I see is high intensity stuff. If there's one thing I learned from all those fitness "info"mercials is, the plateau effect. My body composition has changed noticeably (can't say majorly, but I see results). I walk three miles to the gym I go to daily. I only engage in cross fit once a week, or once every other week (depends on the muscle soreness). I also vary my martial Arts disciplines - mix grappling arts with my striking activities. If you can find a grappling place, it might help alleviate any perceived plateau you may be reaching. I say this because the movements are different in concentration, and execution.
    I realized after reading your post I had to admit to myself that I really didn't engage in -nearly- enough low level activity as I should have. I've been walking a lot more over the last few weeks, along with as much other movement as I can fit into a day, and it's helped a lot. I've done jiu-jitsu in the past and loved it, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a class near where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammermill View Post
    Pumpkin nom nom...
    BAHAHAHAHA!!! That looks familiar. I think that's exactly what I look like while stuffing my face with pumpkin. XD

Leangains-esque IF has been working out really well for me. I take 10g of BCAA's in the morning before working out, then follow that up with a hell-ton of protein and then lighter meals over the next 8 hours. The website was recommending carbs in amounts that would probably kill me, so I've kind of ignored that bit, but I may start eating sweet potatoes or something in a couple weeks just to change it up and see how that works.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    So is the low level activity leaning you out more. Not that you needed it but all the intense stuff may have been very bulking even for a female.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    So is the low level activity leaning you out more. Not that you needed it but all the intense stuff may have been very bulking even for a female.
    I seriously doubt that her workouts are "bulking" from what I can see in the pics. That was simply a layer of fat.

"Moving slowly" is what gets our mitochondria revved up and help with fat loss so we can see our lovely muscles!

I always get more defined when I walk 1-2 hours a day and less so when I don't.

Leangains-esque IF has been working out really well for me.
    IF is my hero!
    Merry Death~ Check out LeanSaloon for some great IF posts. Johnny does not sweat the details...

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Death View Post
    Leangains-esque IF has been working out really well for me. I take 10g of BCAA's in the morning before working out, then follow that up with a hell-ton of protein and then lighter meals over the next 8 hours. The website was recommending carbs in amounts that would probably kill me, so I've kind of ignored that bit, but I may start eating sweet potatoes or something in a couple weeks just to change it up and see how that works.
    That's the great thing about Leangains IF, you can incorporate your own style of eating while using the Leangains principles. Great to hear about your results. Keep it up and keep us posted.
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

landerson22 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hmmm this walking thing is interesting... maybe i should give it a shot... im to high strung for it tho ill probally start running 5 minutes into the walk lol and end up running 10 miles... im not to smart like that. It would be nice to add in some lower intensity stuff to my routine. is surfing good? i do alot of that!

try not to get to cut kid! you look good now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast