Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Buckwheat & Quinoa Non Harmful? Better than Potatoes? Citrus Fruits? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Is Buckwheat & Quinoa Non Harmful? Better than Potatoes? Citrus Fruits?

Primal Fuel
    My open mindedness continues...

I started a thread on legumes and decided to stick with not eating them. If they are prepared by someone else then I may enjoy a couple bites. Nothing more.

Now I am curious about buckwheat and quinoa. Both are NOT a grain. Both are a seed. They seem to be low in lectins like phytic acid but I am not entirely sure on this. They are carby but are less carby then citrus fruits and POTATOES.

Buckwheat is a rich source of magnesium, a mineral that about 90% of the population is deficient in. Many groks and grokkets take a magnesium supplement.

So, experts... would buckwheat and/or quinoa be a good substitute for potatoes (specifically white), white rice and most citrus fruits?

As of this moment... I believe so.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Anave is offline Member
    I think this is something that we have to figure out individually, as each of us is going to react differently to these foods. I LOVE quinoa, but at the moment I'm avoiding it because it's more than my starch-sensitive system can handle frequently. Some people may not be as sensitive, but it tends to throw me into a carb-craving cycle, and if I eat more than a tiny bit my digestive system starts to feel icky. There's no right answer here, so I say try it out and see how your body reacts.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I do well on all seeds, so I just might try them. (buckwheat pancakes...nom). I have no plans to replace my beloved taters with them though
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Todd, I was just going to post this question today! Great minds?

A vegetarian friend of mine cooked us dinner a few nights ago and prepared quinoa, broccoli, and all-natural chicken sausages for her meat-eating hubby and us. I ate a few bites to be a good guest, which wasn't hard to do since I do love quinoa and she prepared it fantastically. It didn't disrupt my sensitive digestive system at all, so yay for that. However, I did peek at the package and it is, expectedly, very high in carbs. Since I'm currently trying to go VLC and I couldn't find very much justifiable nutritive value, I'll keep it in my personal "grey area." But it's great to have on hand for carby friends and relatives.

Both buckwheat and quinoa are considered "pseudocereals." As for anti-nutrients, I would really like to hear more about it also.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    I just made these buckwheat crepes (aka pancakes) and they were very good. Suprisingly low in carbs (only 17g per 1/4 cup batter). I added an egg and some olive oil and stevia to the mixture just before cooking. Ate them with pureed strawberries and whipped cream. I had them two mornings in a row. No digestive complaints, bloating, or weight gain, nor did I get that blood sugar crash feeling like I do with wheat. I didn't measure my blood sugar though, just a subjective assessment.
    Last edited by bokbadok; 05-29-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    That would be alot of quinoa and buckwheat going down the gullet to get your daily magnesium supplements. Especially if you workout somewhat often, which depletes your mag. Furthermore, I personally don't want to get in the habit of eating any type of high carb food, because for the past 10 months of primal eating, I love having no pressure to work out because of my low carb diet. And my body looks better than ever because of it. Working out less, has allowed me to workout more consistently. No 3 or 4 week gaps in working out from burning out. Sorry, getting off track here, but that was my point. I know about the amino acids and good nutrient profile of quinoa, but it still is loaded with carbs, and I can't justify taking those carbs on.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think they taste all that great, anymore (lost my taste for pancakes etc. a while ago). I had some buckwheat flour but I only used it like twice. I'm curious about the argument FOR eating them, actually, are they healthier than alternatives like veg and tubers? Do they taste extra-yummy to people?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't get used to red (forgot the name) quinoa. I might try buckwheat one of these days. A good friend of mine at the gym at which I work out pointed out he'd use these since he's pretty active.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Yogurt View Post
    Todd, I was just going to post this question today! Great minds?

A vegetarian friend of mine cooked us dinner a few nights ago and prepared quinoa, broccoli, and all-natural chicken sausages for her meat-eating hubby and us. I ate a few bites to be a good guest, which wasn't hard to do since I do love quinoa and she prepared it fantastically. It didn't disrupt my sensitive digestive system at all, so yay for that. However, I did peek at the package and it is, expectedly, very high in carbs. Since I'm currently trying to go VLC and I couldn't find very much justifiable nutritive value, I'll keep it in my personal "grey area." But it's great to have on hand for carby friends and relatives.

Both buckwheat and quinoa are considered "pseudocereals." As for anti-nutrients, I would really like to hear more about it also.
    You say they are high in carb. If you compare 100 calories of potato or any citrus fruit with 100 calories of quinoa then your viewpoint will change significantly. If I ever eat it then it will be a small amount - around 100 cals. This provides 20 grams of carbs - 4 from fiber. Its a complete protein and is full of nutrition.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbadok View Post
    I just made these buckwheat crepes (aka pancakes) and they were very good. Suprisingly low in carbs (only 17g per 1/4 cup batter). I added an egg and some olive oil and stevia to the mixture just before cooking. Ate them with pureed strawberries and whipped cream. I had them two mornings in a row. No digestive complaints, bloating, or weight gain, nor did I get that blood sugar crash feeling like I do with wheat. I didn't measure my blood sugar though, just a subjective assessment.
    Thanks for the recipe! I just bookmarked it and will make the crepes in the future when I buy buckwheat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast