Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrageenan page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Carrageenan

Primal Fuel
    Good or bad? All I know is that it's a seaweed extract used for thickening. Is there really MSG in it?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I was going to post the same question... and/or try to figure it out.

Here is some info... http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/vi...articles_id=82
    Last edited by healthy11; 05-29-2011 at 12:52 PM.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Bad. Don't know what the MSG in it thing is about, but it is often used to induce colitis in rats/mice in experiments. I definitely had GI ulcers after 4 years of eating a diet full of fake vegan foods full of it! I avoid it now like it's in the "toxic" PB list.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Bad. Don't know what the MSG in it thing is about, but it is often used to induce colitis in rats/mice in experiments. I definitely had GI ulcers after 4 years of eating a diet full of fake vegan foods full of it! I avoid it now like it's in the "toxic" PB list.
    Are you sure carrageenan was the culprit though? I mean there's a lot more shit besides that in vegan food.

I was looking for some non-dairy/non-soy milks but many of them have it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    I've tried to research this same this same thing and have found info stating that it causes cancer in lab rats. Eden foods analysis above says the opposite and that carregeenan is harmless (I do trust Eden Foods and buy many if their products). Most alternative milks do have this ingredients but I have found one without it which is Silk Brand unsweetened almond milk (they use gellan gum instead).
    It is very easy to make your own nut/ seed milks though and that is what I am going to start doing on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Fairychilde; 05-30-2011 at 08:48 AM.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    All I know is that years ago, I could not figure out what was making me sick. At first I thought it was dairy as it happened with sour cream and ice cream. Then I realized that couldn't be it because yogurt and milk didn't make my stomach hurt. Then I thought it was almonds as in Almond Breeze "milk." Then I thought it was something else and something else. Anyway, I finally narrowed it down to carrageenan and I swear, since elmininating it, my stomach aches and bloating are gone. It is in so many things. I don't know why I can't tolerated it, but I am sad because I love Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Oh well.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Good or bad? All I know is that it's a seaweed extract used for thickening. Is there really MSG in it?
    The coconut milk I drink has carrageenan in it but it doesn't have MSG. I would like to know also whether there is a link between carrageenan and cancer. I definitely think MSG would cause major problems but your ingredient label would most likely have to indicate if monosodium glutamate was actually an active ingredient.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

cassel_man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairychilde View Post
    I've tried to research this same this and have found info stating that it causes cancer in lab rats.
    Everything causes cancer in lab rats. Except the doses are rarely relevant to human cancer studies.

cassel_man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    my stomach aches and bloating are gone. It is in so many things. I don't know why I can't tolerated it, but I am sad because I love Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Oh well.
    Carrageenan is a polysaccharide. And it sounds like you have problems breaking it down and when it hits your lower intestine it gets fermented causing your digestive discomfort.

CornucopiaInst is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Research suggests that the food ingredient carrageenan contains degraded carrageenan, which negatively impacts gastrointestinal health and is recognized as a possible human carcinogen. Yet it is a common ingredient in foods, including organic foods. While it is unlikely that the government will take action to protect our health and remove carrageenan from conventional foods, we do have a chance to see carrageenan removed from certified organic foods. At the end of May, the USDA’s National Organic Standards Board will be voting on whether carrageenan should be removed from the list of approved ingredients in organic foods. If you agree that organic foods should be free from potentially harmful ingredients like carrageenan, please send a comment to the USDA. The more comments they receive, the more likely they are to vote to remove carrageenan (the carrageenan industry will fight tooth and nail to keep it on the list of approved ingredients). An action alert, with instructions for submitting a comment to the USDA, is available at Tell the USDA to Remove Carrageenan from Organic Foods | Cornucopia Institute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast