Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverting to the SAD – an experiment (caution – end is a little gross) page

roccoernest is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So for the last three weeks, things got a little crazy. I had to move (from one apartment to another in NYC with no help) which involved buying all new everything – furniture, bedding, bed; getting rid of nearly half my clothing (got to thin) so needed new; my regular 40 hour a week day job got super crazy, and my 15 hour a week second consulting job hit overtime as well. Add to that a bunch of weekend family obligations, and 2 classes that were running I was in, and I’m totally 100% maxed out. Of course it’s very temporary- after a few weeks, it should go back to normal. But for right not, the stress of everything were through the roof and I’m really not in a position to say add several hours a week of grocery shopping to my schedule, especially since (as long as I eat SAD) I get free food at work.

After a couple of days of really struggling to find time for the gym, time to forage properly, etc I decided to combine a ‘fuck it’ with an experiment – what if I went back to my diet that I ate say a year ago for the three weeks? That’ll at least keep the stressors on diet and exercise low until I get past this hump.

So: I went from a 90% carnivore, probably 60% fat diet at 100% paleo to ice cream and pb&j sandwiches, bread at every meal, etc. The only thing I didn’t really do was drink soda, and I was careful to not over-consume calories. I still stuck to about 2500 a day which for my weight is about baseline. However I stopped all exercise as well.

Some results:

First: by keeping calories down, I didn’t really gain weight. So I imagine if I ate like this but simply cut calories to 2000 or less a day, I’d lose. But…

One notable thing is change in taste. Right before I started, some things just tasted awful and chemical, like Vitamin water (which I used to be addicted to). After 3 weeks it tastes heavenly again. As your tongue gets used to sweet and fake, that stuff turns into crack. Same goes for super sweet stuff like ice cream. When I was months in to paleo, eating ice cream was an exercise in “ooofff sooo sweeeeet”. After a few weeks of eating it every couple of days, it no longer seems super-sweet, but just a nice treat.

Another is skin quality. I’ve got skin breakouts, greasy skin (didn’t have on a 90% fat diet, go figure), blackheads, and dry spots.

My sweat smells much much worse now. My crotch is also a lot reekier.

Energy levels are poor –I need several coffees a day to stay awake. Crashes in afternoon.

Joint pain came back, fingers and ankles. Occasional foot pain. Neck spasms.

But here’s the kicker: I finally figured out a lifelong health problem. All of my life I’ve had, well to put it bluntly, some kind of anal discharge. Skid marks. Ever since I was a tyke. At first I blamed it on poor hygiene as a kid. Then I blamed it on being obese (hard to wipe, which is true). I’ve always had it and needed to be careful, sometimes changing underwear twice a day. It’s not like I’m pooping my diaper or anything, it’s just nasty skid marks. The only people who knew about it were the people who do my laundry.

I didn’t realize until going back on SAD that for the past 6-9 months: no skid marks! And after 2 weeks of SAD, there they are, uncontrollable as always. I’m not sure if it’s the grains or some other diet part that is causing it, or what exactly it is – unusual thin stool, or flatulence – but damn, they are back.

So that’s my deal. Thankfully I’m all moved in and the work crunch is calming down, so starting tomorrow I’m in the park for windsprints and a good ol’ caveman breakfast. But anybody who wants a reason to go primal: no skid marks.

bobbylight Guest

I agree...the ending was gross

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Right on, a new motto!

Griff, you can put it on the cards you hand out.

"No Skid Marks!"

rocco, you should change your profile to NSM4Life.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Nothing like a complete change back to see what you aren't missing.

I've no problem with "skid marks." bobby.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Yet another reason why I gotta get the hubby to switch to primal!

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

If "no skid marks" isn't a selling point for primal eating, I don't know what is

maba is offline Senior Member

I'm sitting here in my cube trying REALLY hard not giggle. chima_p, your comment really cracked me up! My co-workers are probably wondering what the stifling sounds from my cube are.

unheatedgarage Guest

I had to register after reading that.

Wow. Just…wow.

roccoernest is offline Junior Member

the skid marks thing is just amazing to me. I suffered with this embarrassing, horrible condition my ENTIRE LIFE and it's GONE on primal. What the hell?!?

My best guess is the grains caused either some kind of flatulence or just maybe some kind of allergic reaction, but since it just was 'the way I was' I never wondered. Then when I lost the weight and could, I wince to say, wipe my ass in a bathroom stall without having to do stretching gymnastics I figured it was the weight loss. Yet I'm at the same weight and they are back!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Hahaha That's a great post!

Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast