Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reverting to the SAD – an experiment (caution – end is a little gross) page 4

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Aw, I already threw it all out... actually, I have heard of that before. I did some reading prior to soaking it and I have come across what you've said. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Sweet potatoes and rice are really the only starches I eat. Great for bodybuilding.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

Sweet potatoes are amazing on the days I run.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

How we transitioned from skid marks to eating sweet potatoes and running, I can&#39;t tell...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

egmutza Guest

[quote]

Rampant individualism, Ayn Rand&#39;s "objectivism", libertarianism, all are counter to what got us through millions of years of adversity.</blockquote>

Not to turn this into another endless defense-of-Ayn Rand thread, but much like any of OTB&#39;s comments on the matter, this comment demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of Objectivist philosophy. Acting in one&#39;s own self interest does not prohibit cooperating with others or acting benevolently in society.

And even if self-sacrificial altruism is advantageous from a gene&#39;s-eye view, so what? Rape probably is too, but I hardly think anyone would say we need to emulate that evolutionary strategy, no matter how successful it may be. Looking to our evolutionary past to determine the nutritional requirements for a flourishing human being makes a lot of sense. Celebrating tribalism does not.

And I&#39;m glad you got your skid mark issue resolved, Rocco

Niklas Guest

I think there is no evidence that rape was normal and an evolutionary strategy. That&#39;s just another just-so story from the most pseudo-scientific hallucination nonsense ever seen counfounded with serious science which is evolutionary psychology or sociobiology.

lol I knew you would step in (egmutza).

I agree, there is absolutely nothing in libertarianism that gets in the way of reciprocal altruism, which is basically why we group up and thrive as communities. Governments have nothing to do with this.

I am almost through reading How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World by Harry Browne. It has dramatically changed the way I understand reality. The arguments of the book are so obvious and make so much sense that I was almost embarrassed to experience those small "epiphanies" one gets when reading a good non-fiction book.

I am also reading about emergence in complex systems and how this applies to humans, so I&#39;m beginning to see how psychological determinism could actually not go against a meritocracy in a completely libertarian society.

Seems I am transitioning towards full scale libertarianism lately. I still have to read more about how a lack of government would allow big-scale infrastructure projects and their maintenance, but so far everything is starting to make perfect sense.

I recommend Browne&#39;s book to everyone. Give it a shot, cant hurt to challenge your assumptions about how a country should work.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

And from skid marks to libertarianism, the circle is complete

Niklas Guest

Ayn Rand is considered a non-liberal by liberals and a non-objectivist by those who understand the philosophical epistemiology of real objectivism (not as a brand name). And last time I read her insane rant, she was opposed to any form of altruism and her arguments were so polluted by bigotry, morals and obligations to sound more like puritan god-fearing fundamentalism in disguise than anything I would call individualism or liberalism.

lol. oh god...

MightyMite is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yeah--I want the skid marks discussion back! I find bodily discussion threads more palatable than purely philosophical ones Maybe it&#39;s because as a scientist I want something I can sink my teeth into

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast