Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reverting to the SAD an experiment (caution end is a little gross) page 3

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

IBS is the pits. It's debilitating, it can be socially disastrous - luckily my experience wasn't quite that bad. But it was depressing, hard physically and mentally and wore me out. I never want to go back to feeling like that. Some cheats are ok, others take me back to that way of living temporarily. I think I'm getting a pretty good grasp of what I can and can't eat.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

OTB - the message may slowly be seeping out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1228402/Eating-fibre-NOT-good-stomach.html

OK so the Daily Mail is a notorious right-wing leaning, middle class rag (hysteria along the lines of "Immigrants are hiding under your children's beds claiming benefits!!!").

But hey, it obviously has an audience so if IT can print this kind of non-CW then maybe there is hope...

Agh - the Daily Mail! Noooo! Still, as you say, it has such a widespread readership (for the love of god why?!) that hopefully, things will slowly change. Although it would have been better if they could have pointed people towards MDA instead of white bread and pies!

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I ate a bowl of oatmeal yesterday because I wanted something soft and I didn't have yogurt in the house. I woke up in the night with a painful stomach ache which resulted in painful elimination (TMI...sorry). Grains do this every time. They also cause me bouts of GERD and excessive belching. I remove them from my diet and voila! no more pains, GERD, and minimal belching.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

But mrd232, bobbylight says that they are part of a healthy diet!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

mrd232, do all grains make you feel like that?

Yesterday and the day before I had some brown rice and felt completely normal. I soaked it in water and vinegar for 2 days before cooking, so hopefully that got rid of most of the bad stuff.

I don't think it's wrong to have some grains (but not wheat) once in a while, as long as you process is correctly. I have yet to try soaked oats.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Nooooooo! Not the grains debate again! Aaaaaaaagh!

Some people can eat them, some people can&#39;t. Whether you SHOULD eat them is another matter.......

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Hahah.. I&#39;m not for grains at all - I make it part of my 20%. I&#39;m just saying that if you want to eat grains, at least prepare it correctly. People in Asia eat rice all the time and they&#39;re generally much healthier than Westerners, so you can&#39;t go too wrong with rice.

Ok enough.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I can eat white rice with little consequence (other than some bloating/carb rush). High gluten grains are the ones that seem to give me stomach problems, though. If I continue to eat them, I usually have to go back to taking Tums or OTC heartburn meds on a regular basis.

maba is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I seem to do ok with white rice too. But all other grains, even brown rice make me feel bloated and give me heartburn. Dr.Harris of PaNu says potato and white rice are ok if you must eat starch. I&#39;m not endorsing grains, just saying if you&#39;re in a situation where you have to eat non-primal stuff, then white rice might be the lesser of the evils.

Raphael, save about 1C of the soaked water in the refrigerator and add it the the next time you soak brown rice. And when you keep doing this the phytase content in the water increases and helps neutralize the phytic acid in the rice. Read Stephen&#39; blog for more info. I have a bottle of, hopefully phytase-rich, water in the refrigerator.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast