Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Guys, I wanted to share my mother's blood tests. She has been primal for months now and she's feeling great.

She had high cholesterol before transitioning from a SAD-ish diet.

Here are her new results:

HDL: 79 mg/dL

LDL: 179 mg/dL

VLDL: 14 mg/dL

Trig: 70 mg/dL

Total: 272 (LDL + HDL + [Trigs/5])

Total Lipids: 530

Trig/HDL: 0.886

Total/HDL: 3.4

Oxidized LDL, antibodies: 16.8 UE/mL (indicator of arteroeschlerosis, plaque and other vascular issues)

Where:

< 20 UE/mL= NEGATIVE

20-25 UE/mL= INDETERMEDIATE

> 25 UE/mL= POSITIVE)

Now, if my understanding of the results is correct, her Trig/HDL ratio seems pretty bad.

But then, the Oxidized LDL, antibodies tests are negative.

I have seen her weekly cooking menus and the food seems almost completely primal except for the eventual mozzarella in caprese salads, some legumes such as string beans, and dairy in the form of heavy cream.

So whats the deal with her Trig/HDL ratio then?

Maybe most of the meat they are eating is not grass-fed. Trying to come up with further advice to help her lower that ratio. Any ideas?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

bobbylight Guest

I think a trig/hdl ratio of under 2 is desirable...so that is very good.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ask Griff!! Griff where are you? In class? Obviously this is more important!!!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

chazglen is offline Junior Member

THIS is what I&#39;ve been interested in concerning this diet. I am an ignorant gentile in the area of science and medicine. So much of what I read in BOTH fat/nonfat camps is backed up with such convincing data (not to mention new words) to support each theory, that I&#39;m not sure which way to turn. Science itself rediscovers truth so often (rescued, usually, from the jaws of what it once called a lie) that it sometimes makes my head spin. Did you know that 2/3 of what we once knew about dinosaurs, we don&#39;t know anymore? Maybe the same is true of Grok... to some extent anyway.

I&#39;m not giving up... still think so much of the PB program is right on. The cholesterol thing is a little black cloud, though.

Chaz there is a ton of evidence suggesting that vascular and heart issues are linked to O-6, trans fats and a high carb diet. The above total cholesterol levels seem high, but then they reflect the effect of being Primal for about 4 months. I&#39;m thinking there must be a lot of damage to undo, but then the Oxidized LDL are very low, so I&#39;m not too concerned. Or maybe I should? I&#39;m not 100% confident on this one.

It coul eb argued that the tests already contradict CW in that her high saturated cholesterol and saturated fat consumption should be already building plaque and therefore showing above normal levels of ox. LDL, which is not the case.

nina_70 Guest

Errr...If I remember correctly, here are the ratio&#39;s you&#39;re aiming for:

The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 or below for women

The ideal ratio of Trig/HDL is 2 or below.

So....looks perfect to me. Better than ideal in fact.

And...her VLDL is very low...which is another indication of large, fluffy cholesterol. The type you want.

Nina I thought the Trig/HDL ideal ratio is 0.2 or below?

bobbylight Guest

SS, it is definitely 2, not 0.2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

chazglen, eat paleo/primally and these things will sort themselves out.

I&#39;ve never bought into the lipid/cholesterol hypothesis, partly because I have zero family history of heart problems. My total cholesterol levels have usually tested, as best as I can recall, at least 200, probably 210 and higher.

So I&#39;ve been eating 90% paleo/primal since early June. Sixty percent fats, mostly saturated, thirty protein, ten carbs. You know, it&#39;s too bad I don&#39;t believe in the lipid hypothesis because my total came back at 174!

As you will see, the blood panel numbers get a little sideways when HDL&#39;s are very high and LDL&#39;s are low.

Unless something is really, really out of whack (that&#39;s a scientific term) after a long time, not to worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast