Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the cave page

Roboff is offline Junior Member

New to the cave

Primal Fuel
    My name is Steve I am 31 yrs old and live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I used to weigh 260lbs and was miserable and a ticking timebomb. I was hired as a firefighter/paramedic and quickly realized how much my safety and that of my fellow firefighter as well my patients depended on my physical fitness. After 3 yrs I have dropped down to 180lbs and feel pretty good. My wife and I have just picked up running marathons and have a great time doing it. I am looking for a way to "fine tune" my physical fitness and have been on the primal wagon for a week now, still reading the boook but I am VERY intrigued by it. I am still kind of teetering back and forth as I have also been reading some negative aspects of the lifestyle. I would appreciate any advice, comments, concerns or encouragement as I am so new to this. Thank you for having me in your community.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious what you read that was negative?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Here is one of the links: Counterpoints

I also have a question regarding my kids. Do we need to be as strict with our kids as we are ourselves. It seems like a huge switch for adults to overcome let alone kids?

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboff View Post
    Here is one of the links: Counterpoints

I also have a question regarding my kids. Do we need to be as strict with our kids as we are ourselves. It seems like a huge switch for adults to overcome let alone kids?
    One point that seems relevant is that Primal is not high protein. Rather, the calories from the missing carbs are replaced more from healthy, natural fats.

Second point about Water weight is addressed in one of Mark's posts on weight loss. True, people lose water weight early, but because they are losing glycogen. Each gram of glycogen has 3-4 grams of water so it can be easily accessed. IF people move to a more natural way of eating with fewer carbs, the body doesn't have a need to store that extra water.

Interestingly, I find that it hasn't been a huge switch for me. Rather an easy switch thus far.

I'll let others address the rest.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Some people here are having their kids go primal from birth. If you are dealing with older kids though, you might want to gradually wean them off of conventional crap and onto more primal or natural foods because it's a lot harder to get a 7 year old to comply than a 7 month old.

My DD (age 10) is a perfect example. She likes waffles and maple syrup for breakfast. But 3 or 4 mornings a week now, I have her eat 2 pieces of bacon and a scrambled egg first, offering her one waffle after if she wants it. She usually declines the waffle. I am trying to teach her to eat a few vegetables but she's always been a bit of a 'supertaster' so that's been a slow process. And she doesn't like meat either. Sigh...
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

CP, that is a great point regarding the water weight, never would have thought of that being the reason but it totally makes sense. Belinda, that is a great idea with dealing with the kids. My kids love eggs and meat I'm just more nervous come lunchtime but we just bought some romaine hearts to replace bread (fingers crossed). How about some good paleo/primal cookbooks? I just got back from Barnes and Noble and the only book (to Mark's credit) they have is the PB cookbook. I need to find one with not too "crazy" of meals as my wife and I are trying to get a grasp on exactly how we are going to do this on a longterm basis.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I disagree with the Counterpoints argument, since cattle won't quit being raised, and many of us are buying grassfed meats/poultry that supports family farms and protects the land. The political, population arguments aside, primal is how we evolved to eat, and makes the most sense for a humans. If the population keeps its current geometric progression growth, we will all be eating a slag of each other and anything left growing ala Soylent Green.
    Last edited by Digby; 05-29-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    I would say get your hands on "Everyday Paleo" by Sarah Fragoso.

Everyday Paleo

Her book does address eating paleo/primally while having a family. As it is paleo there are some (minor) differences to PB, but still worth a good look!
    Last edited by sarah1990; 05-29-2011 at 04:28 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I truly don't get the environmental argument. I mean, how many other ways are there to encourage sustainability? If someone is going to tell me that eating meat will destroy the planet, does that person: 1) use plastic 2) drive 3) heat or air condition their home 4) fly 5) have children? Also, ah - is the current food system we have sustainable? By what environmentla measure?
    Offset your slightly increased meat consumption by downsizing your car and driving less. In any case, it is a TOTALLY different question than "what is healthy for you and your family" -
    The protein thing is not true in my experience - Paleo is not all THAT much higher protein than how I've eaten all my life. And there are not armies of muscular people out there eating low protein, there is a difference between how much protien we need to survive and how much to thrive.
    The water weight thing - so what? How does the fact that most people are bloated before doing PB make an argument against PB?

The rest of it is just fear and speculation. Seriously, I just ate some wild salmon, grilled veg, and a salad of tomatoes and feta cheese with fresh picked basil. What exactly should I be consulting my doctor about in that meal?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    i woudl like to digress a bit on this point if i may
    Producing one pound of meat requires approximately ten times the resources as an identical pound of grain. With an ever-increasing world population and a decreasing pool of natural resources we must search for sustainable resources and food systems. While eating free range meat may be the absolute healthiest way to eat, it is surely not the most efficient use of resources. Unfortunately, these real-world concerns must be considered.
    I find that an interesting comment to make and it is one about conservation and not relative to health. This can be taken several ways and the two that come to my mind is
    1. We need to eat less meat so that we dont have to produce so much grain
    2. We as a human species have over produced and need to reduce our numbers as a whole.

Personally i find this part of the article fairly repugnant and while i will continue to read it ( at this point i stopped to comment) my ability to consider it a valid point of view is compromised.

Let think on this just a second

1 pound of read meat = 975 Kcal ( ground beef 85% lean) for said 975 Kcal this argument posits that 10 pounds of grain ( assuming corn ) were raised to be fed to said beef. Now this means that for 16oz of red meat 160 oz of corn was produced. That much raw corn = 4000 Kcal ( what ever did the cow do with the rest of the calories????? )

now ASSUMING that a calorie is a calorie ( but we ALL know better by now right.... right) then YES indeed we are wasting resources on feeding cows for man to only obtain barely 1/4 the caloric nutrition he could have had. In fact it would be down right irresponsible.... assuming... a calorie is a calorie

Oh wait... for as long as we have been around we have been eating animals and only relatively recently have we been herding them and only very recently have we taken it on ourselves to hand feed these poor inefficient bovines ..... so

I call strawman and bullshit. at least on this premise
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast