Thread: New here, from Chicago page

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member

New here, from Chicago

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Everyone,

I am Alan and am just about 3 weeks in after switching to Primal/Paleo.

I am a former Nebraska farm-boy who played football and wrestled quite successfully and then played rugby in college. Most of that time I wasn't on an optimal diet, but it was almost certainly one that was closer to Primal than what I was on later -- lots of red meat, eggs, butter and vegetables. Add in either training or practicing for sports and the work on the farm and I had a great deal of strength and a very low body fat (stacking 70 or 80 lb bales of alfalfa in 90 degree heat in the summers for 10 hours give you strength and endurance that made sports a nice relaxation afterwards )

After college I jumped into IT/Business consulting, and things started to go downhill. I had "bad" cholesterol test (I say "bad" because my HDL was high and in retrospect my ratios were pretty good). I started to do a lower fat diet. Thankfully I never totally bought into it, but even then I know I did damage. I also did a lot of cycling during this time which substantially lowered my heart rate.

But, then I went to business school, met my wife-to-be, got married and started dealing with the stress of jobs, family, etc. A couple of months ago at 43 years old, I was almost right at 200 lbs (over 40 pounds more than I weighed in high school) and was significantly out of shape. I had trouble climbing stairs quickly and could feel chest pains while doing this, could feel heart palpations from stress and anxiety, and just didn't feel like the healthy, confident and natural person I used to be.

My journey to paleo started with starting the Pauling therapy to help/protect my cardiovascular system. A few revelations came out in my research- cholesterol wasn't the "evil" I'd thought and, in fact, it was necessary if I wanted to heal my body or at the very least it indicated my body was trying to heal itself, just without the necessary building blocks.

At some point I came across the Archevore blog and his get-started diet post. Things started to come together for me and I eventually found my way to Mark's Daily Apple in search of more information. I pretty much jumped in about 3 weeks ago, although I got Mark's book a bit later than my start. I consider myself to be about 80 or 90% as I do eat a few legumes (chili for lunch some days), and still eat Dairy (although I've pretty much converted to heavy cream, butter and ghee only) -- otherwise, I really don't miss or want most of what I ate before. My wife and I dumped all of our cereal, flour and grains just this past week to get them out of the house (she's a juvenile diabetic, so this diet helps her as well).

So far I am loving it. I've felt dull a few times from lack of carbs as my body is still adjusting, and can feel almost like hot flashes (I think a result of the rewiring to take lipids for energy occurs), but I have more focus at work, am so much more relaxed (Ok, so maybe that is partly due to the niacin doses I take), and am feeling much stronger and healthier (it is easy to climb run up the stairs to the El now).

I feel like I have a lot of healing to do (I know my cardio has a lot of repair work to do), and need to rebuild my overall strength. I walk 3 times a day with my german shepherd (probably 1.5 or 2 miles a day on even bad weather days, and more on nice days), and do a morning burpee workout that has been steadily growing to be longer. I also toss in a short arm/shoulder/snatch workout with a light kettlebell. Next goal is to start doing some heavy weight lifting (or at least get started again.. I used to LOVE power cleans and cleaned 225 in high school - a nice thing when you are wrestling at 138). And, I still have at least 10 lbs of fat to lose.. probably closer to 15.

Thanks to Mark and everyone on the board for the wealth of information and enthusiasm. It's been a huge source of strength for me.

Starting weight: 199.8
    Current weight : 190
    Goal weight: 180 or 185, depending on how much weight lifting I do.

Hi Alan,

First of all, let me say welcome! I'm in the burbs of Chicago (Villa Park). Started out myself at 260lbs, at 190 myself right now, with a goal of 170. I'm also an IT (networking) consultant for a VAR in Hinsdale. We should meet up sometime! There is also a meetup.com group called Primal Chicagoans, we've started planning some activities, such as outdoor sprinting, and hopefully I'd like to add some bodyweight strength training meetups or just good old feasting

Tom

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Alan! Sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to do. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
    Hi Alan,

First of all, let me say welcome! I'm in the burbs of Chicago (Villa Park). Started out myself at 260lbs, at 190 myself right now, with a goal of 170. I'm also an IT (networking) consultant for a VAR in Hinsdale. We should meet up sometime! There is also a meetup.com group called Primal Chicagoans, we've started planning some activities, such as outdoor sprinting, and hopefully I'd like to add some bodyweight strength training meetups or just good old feasting

Tom
    Thanks Tom,

Congratulations on your great progress. I think the consulting world tends to be very unhealthy (lots of travel with bad food combined with too much sitting in the office), but it sounds like you've managed to defeat it!

I'll look into the meetup.com group. My wife and I are moving (still within Chicago, but to a different apartment) this month, so it may take a while.

I'm working up to the sprinting

--Alan

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    Hey Chi-town techies! Pleased to count myself in your group. I am brand new to Primal, but have been doing something similar for two months. Nice to see I have neighbors.

-Adam