Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamb Shank Help page

LukeD is offline Junior Member

Lamb Shank Help

Primal Fuel
    Picked one up yesterday for the first time just to try it, and since the slow cooker will be tied up with pork, what are my options?

Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours at 375F.

Any other suggestions, tips, advice?

Thanks

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    put in a pan with garlic, salt, pepper, mint, sage and red wine, cook at 250 until it falls off the bone...

Sambo is offline Member
    Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours
    Do that, too tough for anything else!
    Meri bilong mi i belhot!

LukeD is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys, ended up wrapping it in tin foil with sage/mint/salt/pepper/butter for 2:15 at 375 then broiled for another 15. Best 5 bucks Ive spent all week.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I love them cooked low and slow with onion, garlic, root veg chopped up, fresh rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper, and enough dry cider or white wine to cover. In a lidded casserole dish, bring to boil and put into an oven heated to about 160 C for a couple of hours. It is one of my favourite meals.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

Turned out amazing
    Last edited by Rapunzel; 05-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Mostly any long cooking method will work as long as the temperature isn't too high. Last time I made it I stuck it in the dutch oven with some canned tomatoes and forgot it for a few hours. Came back and shredded the meat into the tomatoes -- I was licking the fork the whole time

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

Turned out amazing
    I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
    There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.
    I know Robb Wolf doesn't totally pan GF beers. I've tried one--can't remember the name, but it was made from sorghum--and it was good, but not great.

Juice sounds interesting; I may need to try that next batch.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast