Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Lamb Shank Help page

  1. #1
    LukeD's Avatar
    LukeD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6

    Lamb Shank Help

    Primal Fuel
    Picked one up yesterday for the first time just to try it, and since the slow cooker will be tied up with pork, what are my options?

    Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours at 375F.

    Any other suggestions, tips, advice?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,469
    put in a pan with garlic, salt, pepper, mint, sage and red wine, cook at 250 until it falls off the bone...

  3. #3
    Sambo's Avatar
    Sambo is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    38
    Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours
    Do that, too tough for anything else!
    Meri bilong mi i belhot!

  4. #4
    LukeD's Avatar
    LukeD is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6
    Thanks guys, ended up wrapping it in tin foil with sage/mint/salt/pepper/butter for 2:15 at 375 then broiled for another 15. Best 5 bucks Ive spent all week.

  5. #5
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,123
    I love them cooked low and slow with onion, garlic, root veg chopped up, fresh rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper, and enough dry cider or white wine to cover. In a lidded casserole dish, bring to boil and put into an oven heated to about 160 C for a couple of hours. It is one of my favourite meals.

  6. #6
    Rapunzel's Avatar
    Rapunzel is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    AK-Rowdy, Ohio
    Posts
    85
    I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

    Turned out amazing
    Last edited by Rapunzel; 05-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.

  7. #7
    AndreaReina's Avatar
    AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    851
    Mostly any long cooking method will work as long as the temperature isn't too high. Last time I made it I stuck it in the dutch oven with some canned tomatoes and forgot it for a few hours. Came back and shredded the meat into the tomatoes -- I was licking the fork the whole time

  8. #8
    tangentrider's Avatar
    tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

    Turned out amazing
    I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

  9. #9
    Rapunzel's Avatar
    Rapunzel is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    AK-Rowdy, Ohio
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
    There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

    I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.

  10. #10
    tangentrider's Avatar
    tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

    I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.
    I know Robb Wolf doesn't totally pan GF beers. I've tried one--can't remember the name, but it was made from sorghum--and it was good, but not great.

    Juice sounds interesting; I may need to try that next batch.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •