Thread: Low appetite and VERY sensitive - is this normal? page

agatha1939 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Low appetite and VERY sensitive - is this normal?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I have been following Paleo for 2 months, pretty close to 95% (I have dark chocolate once in a while) and lost 15 pounds easily, no cravings, no hunger (I hardly exercise, very lazy... I know, I know). Anyway, I did notice though 2 things since I started eating this way,

1- my appetite decreased A LOT. I used to eat like crazy before, pizza, bread, rice, brownies, etc. As soon as I started eating Paleo and had protein (I was vegetarian before), I felt fuller and ate less. But now I'm eating even less, usually I have breakfast at 9am (1 white egg omelet with herbs, 1 fried egg, 2 bacons) and then have lunch at 2:00-2:30pm (fish and veggies) and that's it. I may have a square of dark chocolate at night, but nothing more and I don't feel hungry at all. Is that OK? I am not counting calories but I cannot believe I am eating anything close to what I was supposed to (1300-1500?). I'm 5'3" and weigh 156 pounds, aiming to 120-130 lb.

2- I became VERYYYYY sensitive to "bad" foods... if I eat just a small piece of anything containing grains for example, just a bite to try it, OMG, I spent the whole time in the bathroom. Although I am not planning to eat that way anymore, if sometime somebody prepares something for me, I do like to at least try it so people don't get insulted. But whenever I do I feel VERY bad, really, as soon as I eat it, in a few minutes I am in the bathroom already. Even some veggies make me feel this way like celery, carrots... is that normal? How come I became so sensitive to these foods if I was used to eat TONS of it before?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by agatha1939; 08-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    started PB on Mar 28/11: 174 lb
    current: 156 lb
    goal: 120-130 lb <--- hot, hot, hot!!!

Sambo is offline Member
    It's probably a good thing that you don't want to eat like crazy any more, especially with no exercise. I say chillax, go with the flow, use your intuition. If your body needs more food, it's gonna let you know.

I don't know about the other stuff, but...

I may have a square of dark chocolate
    This is a concern, something's definitely wrong with people who can stop at one square!

agatha1939 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    This is a concern, something's definitely wrong with people who can stop at one square!
    I know, I used to eat huge bars before, lol!!!
    started PB on Mar 28/11: 174 lb
    current: 156 lb
    goal: 120-130 lb <--- hot, hot, hot!!!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are having great results. Losing weight and getting off the addictive cycle of carb cravings. Good for you! Most people who get onto a healthy primal/paleo diet find SAD makes them ill to some degree. You will just have to let people know you have a sensitivity to many foods, and avoid them for the sake of your health. You be in charge.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

tumbleweed is offline Member
    I'm new to this eating style, too and am having similar issues. I'm not very hungry and I'm super sensitive to anything non primal. I don't end up in the bathroom, but I feel nausea whenever I eat anything remotely off plan. Maybe our bodies have purged well and those things are poison? Not sure either.

Moxyfox is offline Junior Member
    You'll be surprised to find out that your body doesn't really need as much energy as you think it does. Unless you're exercising then you won't really need to bother with eating lots and lots of food. The grain sensitivity is your body adapting to a healthier lifestyle. It knows damn well that the last thing it needs is some nasty processed seed hulk.