Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint v's Nourishing Traditional Diets page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint v's Nourishing Traditional Diets

Hi all,

I found this website because I read Sally fallon's / Westin A Price, book Nourishing Traditional Diets - which really struck a chord with me.

My question is: how much does the food aspect of Primal Blueprint differ from, or agree with Westin Prices' findings. (And remember I'm just talking about the food aspect here.)

From what I can understand... Westin Price showed that people around the world ate different diets (some purely animal, some a lot more vegetable) but one thing that they all seemed to have in common were the animal fats, offal meats, sacred foods, fermented foods...

I understand that the PB food is slightly different?

Can anyone sum up the differences for me?

thanks.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    The main difference is that NT includes grains and some legumes I think, but only if they've been soaked, sprouted, soured, or otherwise properly prepared.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    That's my impression, as well. I also think WP endorses raw milk rather fervently. That said, WP himself does not seem to have viewed flesh protein as key. He claimed to have found multiple examples of people with generally excellent physical development (esp. "facial development," which he claimed to see everywhere in primitive peoples in a way that completely escapes me) among cultures that consumed little meat (e.g., the people of the Outer Hebrides, who supposedly ate meat only about once a week). My impression is that he did not see much if any difference between the physical development of primitive and traditional agriculturalists and hunter-gatherers, and did not find the "diseases of civilization" in either group. I'm skeptical.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine talked me into buying NT and I think it's mostly reasonable and Primal.

There is a lot of talk in it about fermenting and cultures, and these are used to encourage ways to make whole grains "acceptable."

Both NT and PB steer you away from processed carbs and Frankenfood.

I thought NT was a good read and a little heavy on the rhetoric- "Fight the Diet Dictocrats, etc." I don't think I will be turning my place into a Zombucha brewery.

Risto is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for bringing up this topic! Hopefully more knowledgeable posters will tune in and discuss it in further detail.

I have to say that thanks to you I was inspired to watch this 2-hour lecture today: Nourishing Traditional Diets - The Key to Vibrant Health 01 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive. I had read Nourishing Traditions, but this whole lecture has loads of material different from that book, so it was very informative and interesting.

I love Sally Fallon's attitude -- she seems to be another person full of passion for nutrition and health, and I just love it. I also share her philosophy a lot, although I'm probably a bit more restrictive of grains in general. I love the point she makes: There is no such thing as one true healthy diet. People have eaten different types of food all around the work, but the healthiest people have always eaten whole minimally processed foods. (I also love that she doesn't think highly of protein powders, which I just can't stand.)

But yeah, it seems that for Nourishing Traditions, all foods that the nature can produce are healthy if prepared properly.

By the way, since I was so inspired by her talk, I wanted to get more of her. I found this amazing website that is full of beautiful information: The Weston A. Price Foundation

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    From reading Mark's books and posts, I think he would say why go through all the trouble to soak and ferment to wind up with food that is still carb dense and nutrient weak? Personally, I eat some white rice, corn tortillas and soaked beans. I don't soak the beans. I buy Eden Foods products.

It is impressive how people have found ways to make non-paleo foods digestible.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I think that's a very good point. I think the only arguments for it would be variety, taste, and cost. Maybe it's fun for some people too, sort of like gardening or something.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    For anyone who's read it, would it be a good book to give to non-paleo friends as sort of a "gateway" book? Implant some suggestions rather than freak them the fuck out right off the bat?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    For anyone who's read it, would it be a good book to give to non-paleo friends as sort of a "gateway" book? Implant some suggestions rather than freak them the fuck out right off the bat?
    You know what? Something like this: http://westonaprice.org/images/pdfs/...y4life2011.pdf would be incredible to begin with.

But Nourishing Traditions is incredible for everyone in my opinion.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by vishal2100 View Post
    if you compressed human civilization into just 1 WHOLE year people have been eating grains since yesterday meaning that these 'traditional' nourishing diets are relatively new since our existence - this was from fat head
    Good one. I noticed that too. "Traditional" in NT means post hunter-gatherer and Paleo/Primal means hunter-gatherer. NT goes out of its way to make agricultural era foods more acceptable, as opposed to mass-processed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast