Thread: ice-cream page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

ice-cream

Shop Now
    I just tried to make some goatmilk ice cream. My milk was pasterized but organic (I've never ever used goat products before, so it was a complete first!) I threw in some raw egg yolks (free range, yay! - and again, not something I have ever knowingly eaten raw!) and some honey and vanilla flavour... and the result was....

ice-slushhy.

I don't have an ice cream maker, so it was a matter of stirring every hour or so. But still, there seemed to be way too much water content. It just wasn't creamy. Any advice on how to get a creamier consistency?

Thanks.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I use my Vita Mix to make ice cream.

I can of coconut milk- about 340 mil I think -a Tsp of vanilla, 2 to 2 1/2 cups of frozen blue berries and strawberries, a small amount of real maple syrup. About 45 seconds later, beautiful soft serve ice cream.
    Sometimes rather than Maple syrup I use local honey and once I used a 1/4 cup of sugar- (it is within my 20%) you easily use stevia as well. You can also skip the sweetener depending on your taste.

My SO who isn't into coconut milk or other 'paleo' stuff thinks it is wonderful.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I just tried to make some goatmilk ice cream. My milk was pasterized but organic (I've never ever used goat products before, so it was a complete first!) I threw in some raw egg yolks (free range, yay! - and again, not something I have ever knowingly eaten raw!) and some honey and vanilla flavour... and the result was....

ice-slushhy.

I don't have an ice cream maker, so it was a matter of stirring every hour or so. But still, there seemed to be way too much water content. It just wasn't creamy. Any advice on how to get a creamier consistency?

Thanks.
    I can't actually help you But I wanted to chime in that my homemade ice cream was always that weird frozen icey texture until I got an ice cream maker. The same recipes were then creamy.

Hopefully someone will have some actually suggestions.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Ice cream is definitely one of my cheat foods and I want to invest in a decent, but not too pricey ice cream maker, anyone have suggestions?
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    I made homemade ice cream without the maker and it came out pretty darn tasty. I used a custard method with the eggs, though, not sure if that's what you did with yours. Mine had the firmness of a store bought and was super creamy. (Used heavy cream and whole milk in equal parts)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130393...81461137957730
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Any advice on how to get a creamier consistency?
    Any of these will make it creamier:
    -more fat
    -more sugar
    -more alcohol
    -small amounts of locust bean gum, guar, gelatin or starch (you need to heat for most of them to dissolve them)
    -more stirring (food processor, ice cream machine)

Or just use a pacojet. It turns anything frozen into the creamiest ice you can imagine.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys, and PatrickF I will try some of those things.

I haven't been able to find an ice cream maker in my country, and I've never heard of a pacojet... but I will keep my eye out and p'haps try and pick up something when I am back in the UK at the end of the year.