Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potato chips - the nemesis beaten! page

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

It's now exactly 7 weeks since I first started eating primally and I've never felt better in my life! I've lost weight, dropped several clothes sizes, my skn is clear, eyes bright, have more energy, am more alert... All in all, everything is good.

But last night, I just realised something truly amazing. Before, when I've attempted to manage my health/eating, the one thing that has led me back down the road of unhealthy tendencies has been... Potato chips (or crisps, as we call them in the UK!). I've never really managed to get rid of that desire for crunchy, salty snacking. Pringles and Kettle Chips being the worst of the temptations.

But in 7 weeks, I haven't once felt the desire to chomp on them - and they've been in the kitchen cupboard more than once! For me, that's a true achievement in the food department!

Does anyone else gave similar experiences/successes?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Yay!!! You rock!

I would have to say I'm shocked that I can enjoy a grapefruit without dousing it in sugar. That to me is truly amazing, because most diets don't change your tastes...

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

We ALL rock! Grapefruit with no sugar - yay! It is interesting how this way of eating changes your tastebuds. I also had a nut & date bar the other day as a treat and found it way too sweet. I used to love them - and now I can take or leave them!

soror is offline Senior Member

Oh, I used to be a total potato chip fan- if I was going to have a treat crispy potato chips couldn't be beat! I think the last I had some was 2-3 months ago, but even then I found them unbelievably greasy and salty and I love fat and salt, but it was in a nasty way.

I have been eating grapefruits this week as well- I seem to crave them about once a year! I am happy as well that the kids love them and they don't even know that often people cover them in sugar.

My big thing since really tackling the yeast is the fact that I can eat chocolate without totally gorging on it. I still don't have the best restraint, but I can eat 1/3 a bar instead of the whole thing and feel satisfied and I am very proud of that.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Good for you! For years, I seldom bought chips because of the fact I would eat too many too fast. But then, living with my parents for two years, here they were again.....

I did have several handfuls last weekend visiting family. That's how I'm trying to do my indulgences; don't buy stuff, don't have it around, but if available in another setting, I do it.

My nemesis, as many here know, is peanuts and the butter. But as the months go by, my consumption is less and less. And less. It's almost off of the radar.

@soror - yes, they were definitely my treat of choice as well! I have to say, almost everything non-primal that I've tasted recently (not that it's a great deal, tbh) has been better in my imagination than in reality. They've all been 'too' as in, too salty, too sweet, too overpowering, etc.

@OTB - Thanks! Yes, I quite like that approach of not eating anything non-primal/indulgent unless you're out of the house. Luckily, I don't really get tempted too often!

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Pork rinds are the perfect chip substitute. Never liked them before, but now I have to stop myself from eating so many that the roof of my mouth gets torn up!

Ah. Problemo.

Kosher pork rinds, anyone...? LOL!

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

I'm only days into my primal journey, not weeks. But I can tell you that chips have always been my nemesis. Since I have only been primal since Sunday, I can't say I won't be craving those things in the future, but so far so good. I know, I know, I'll let you know where I stand in a few weeks, lol.

I even drank coffee without sweetener yesterday. That is a first.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

PrimalK: What's schmaltz but kosher lard? So go chicken cracklings! Admittedly I've never seen those sold anywhere, so you'd have to make them yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast