Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 67

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm really focusing on the elimination part of the fodmaps thing right now. Trying to eat only protein and a few nuts. I have been eating a few corn chips - but I don't seem to have any bad effects from them. Except maybe some water retention - but honestly its about the only source of salt I have right now. I little on my eggs and a little on the meat I cook. Seems like I haven't been having the hand and foot cramping nearly as much when I'm eating this way. Odd.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I'm really focusing on the elimination part of the fodmaps thing right now. Trying to eat only protein and a few nuts. I have been eating a few corn chips - but I don't seem to have any bad effects from them. Except maybe some water retention - but honestly its about the only source of salt I have right now. I little on my eggs and a little on the meat I cook. Seems like I haven't been having the hand and foot cramping nearly as much when I'm eating this way. Odd.
    I had cramps in my hands today, weird ... and painful ! Not sure why
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

must have an electrolyte imbalance if your getting cramps. Magnesium, Calcium, Salt, Potassium --- I think that's all. I get cramps too - hands and feet.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

must have an electrolyte imbalance if your getting cramps. Magnesium, Calcium, Salt, Potassium --- I think that's all. I get cramps too - hands and feet.
    I think it's the magnesium .... I ran out about 6 weeks ago, and the cramps have started again. Hit in the calves last night, despite using the roller after I did squats.

So weird not getting up and making coffee. I miss it.
    Started the day with eggs and a handful of ground.
    Muscle cramps in the calves last night, more in the left than the right. Had an intense feeling of strain on the inside of the right ankle, closer to the heel ... I'm thinking when I was moving upward on the squats yesterday I may have put some stress on the right heel, because the left leg was already feeling a little tight.

Still dealing with afternoon slumps, sleepy even now. I am adjusting my bedtimes, albeit gradually, but at least it's not between midnight and 2 AM now ! I wonder if I am also feeling the loss of the caffeine, although it's a couple of weeks now since coffee and tea went back into the cabinet.

are you taking vitamin d and a B complex? You might also need some iron.

I don't take mag. because of the laxative effect it has - I certainly don't need any more help in that department!

I would think the effects of the caffeine, or I guess the withdrawal from should be gone by now so I'd be looking for what is lacking in your diet or supplements.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

are you taking vitamin d and a B complex? You might also need some iron.

I don't take mag. because of the laxative effect it has - I certainly don't need any more help in that department!

I would think the effects of the caffeine, or I guess the withdrawal from should be gone by now so I'd be looking for what is lacking in your diet or supplements.
    I ran out of all my supplements, so unless there is a really good order that pops in right away, it will be the first of Nov. before I can restock. I had been on a D, especially since that one was one that was very depleted because of all the gut issues. I quit taking the sublingual B and will get something else to replace that. Even waiting to take it after a meal was not working, it always made me very sick at my stomach.

I had to switch on the magnesium a couple of times to get the one that was actually helping and not causing other issues. Don't recall the specific name and formulation on that, thankfully it's in my files where I buy my supplements. The owner has been in the business for over 35 years and is a fountain of knowledge on herbs and supplements. She amazes me. Her shop is in a nearby town, so a lot of times I call ahead and when I go in they have everything already pulled and ready to go, so I get to spend time talking with them instead of wandering around searching. She's also dealt personally with some of the gut issues that I have.
    When I lived in Santa Fe they shipped things to me when I wasn't going to be back in Texas soon enough to pick up things ...

what wonderful customer service! hope you're feeling better soon.

my gut issues are getting worse as I buckled under the pressure of people reading my journal to go back to a balance primal diet and give up the strict FODMAPS diet. Because I had a few cheats and ended up sick the following day they convinced me that I was barking up the wrong tree. I've been 100% primal for 10 days - and sick 5 of them. GRRRR.

I'm going back to the FODMAPS guidelines.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

what wonderful customer service! hope you're feeling better soon.

my gut issues are getting worse as I buckled under the pressure of people reading my journal to go back to a balance primal diet and give up the strict FODMAPS diet. Because I had a few cheats and ended up sick the following day they convinced me that I was barking up the wrong tree. I've been 100% primal for 10 days - and sick 5 of them. GRRRR.

I'm going back to the FODMAPS guidelines.
    What is balanced for some in primal and paleo is not necessarily going to be balanced for us .... I would love to have sweet potatoes occasionally and I can't. I love apples, they don't digest, at all. I love all the cabbage family and so many of the veggies in the avoid section on the FODMAPS ... and if I stayed on balanced primal eating them, it would look good in my lists, however I would be spending 90% of my time every day (just like I had been doing pre-FODMAPS) running to the damn bathroom. It's not healthy, it's costly ... spending way too much on T paper, not to mention the fact that I haven't gotten the nutrients from my foods and supplements when it's all moving through me faster than my body can even absorb it.

I know right now, I am not eating enough, but it's the way it is now, so I am dealing. The fibro flare up is easing off now finally. I still want something sweet and that makes me a little crazed, but that too is something I will deal with. I'm working to deal with my frustration (and yes depression) with things when I see how seemingly easy it is with other people to eat primal and within a short reasonable amount of time, they are where they want to be. I just keep reminding myself that I am not other people and obviously there is more for me to address with the allergies and the gut issues ... sigh .....
    it's Monday, go figure .... I can rant a little. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    What is balanced for some in primal and paleo is not necessarily going to be balanced for us .... I would love to have sweet potatoes occasionally and I can't. I love apples, they don't digest, at all. I love all the cabbage family and so many of the veggies in the avoid section on the FODMAPS ... and if I stayed on balanced primal eating them, it would look good in my lists, however I would be spending 90% of my time every day (just like I had been doing pre-FODMAPS) running to the damn bathroom. It's not healthy, it's costly ... spending way too much on T paper, not to mention the fact that I haven't gotten the nutrients from my foods and supplements when it's all moving through me faster than my body can even absorb it.

I know right now, I am not eating enough, but it's the way it is now, so I am dealing. The fibro flare up is easing off now finally. I still want something sweet and that makes me a little crazed, but that too is something I will deal with. I'm working to deal with my frustration (and yes depression) with things when I see how seemingly easy it is with other people to eat primal and within a short reasonable amount of time, they are where they want to be. I just keep reminding myself that I am not other people and obviously there is more for me to address with the allergies and the gut issues ... sigh .....
    it's Monday, go figure .... I can rant a little. LOL
    If you've seen my journal you know I was being told my everyone that I should go back to a 100% primal or paleo diet and they guaranteed my gut issues would resolve in a matter of months. I got tired of being told I was doing it all wrong so I agreed to do it their way. Its not working.

Try to at least eat foods rich in nutrients. I'm sorry you're struggling I wish it was easier too. Its hard when others are finding health and weight loss fairly easy but its a day to day battle from where I sit. And you too, huh?

What brought on the fibro flare?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast