Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 60

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I think the pig/boar is best when slow cooked. We put ours in the deep pit and cooked it for 12 hours. Probably should have taken it out at 10, but it was still really good.

How much land do you have? We live on a 1/2 acre in the middle of town - except we are surrounded by 12 acres of park land - 10 of which is undeveloped forest and runs along the river. We get the occassional deer in our yard - but in the city they frown upon hunting I do like to fish - well let me clarify - I like to CATCH fish - on those off days when you don't catch anything I would rather be doing something else.

I have noticed that since going zero carb I have been sleeping better also. Nice plus. I'm in ketosis according to the ketostix that used yesterday. Gut is still happy and no bathroom issues!
    I've never cooked them in a pit, but I would love to give that a try ! I live in town, but I have 40 acres about 10 minutes away from me. There's a little creek that runs at the back of the property and plenty of deer there. I have a tank there, used to have it stocked with catfish and some bass, but the drought wiped it out a few years ago - lost all of my fish. When the rains finally came, I restocked with catfish, minnows, perch .... and in a years time, it was bone dry again.
    I had a water well there at one time, but it was not drilled deep enough and when the motor on the pump gave out, I didn't have the cash to replace it or have it dug deeper ... so I wasn't able to keep the tank (pond) filled during the drought.
    It has plenty of water in it now, but I am waiting it out on restocking until I can see about getting another well dug and hopefully go with a windmill instead of having electricity set up again.

I need to get some ketostix so I can check this ! I am still having a few issues with running to the bathroom, but the bloated feeling is gone, gone, gone !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Interesting that Mark has blogged about the zero carbs ... Have to say, I love my veggies and I will go back to them soon, but this venture into eliminating everything but meat, eggs, fish is the best way for me to narrow down what was making my gut crazy. I have slept better in the past few days than I have in a long, long time.
    It's more and more obvious to me that I have to stick with the FODMAPS once I have completed my two weeks on the zero ... and I would not have been able to distinguish between all of the foods and reactions if I didn't take a more drastic approach.
    Sleeping deep and restful, waking up between 7 and 8 am without the alarm, feeling more and more energetic ... yeah, that's a hella lot better than tossing, turning, dragging out of bed at 9 or later (and only because the dog was driving me crazy to take her for a walk) dragging around all day with zero energy and collapsing in the recliner mid to late afternoon, feeling bloated and running to the bathroom non-stop ...

Started the day with a little bacon and 3 eggs, plain black coffee ......

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Sounds you've also found you're culprit! I'm 8 days in on the zero carb and I'm pretty much convinced that Fructose Malabsorption has been my problem for all these years. Today I had a very normal (although very small) BM - and I haven't had a tummy ache since day 2 of my experiment. I am a happy camper!

I have a co-worker who has been suffering from IBS and chronic hemorrhoids for years - I'm going to talk to her about this too. Hopefully she will find some relief from her misery. She is 72 years old and still working, but is always sick. Why don't doctors know about this?

Can you hunt on your 40 acres? Are you planning to build a house there some day?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Sounds you've also found you're culprit! I'm 8 days in on the zero carb and I'm pretty much convinced that Fructose Malabsorption has been my problem for all these years. Today I had a very normal (although very small) BM - and I haven't had a tummy ache since day 2 of my experiment. I am a happy camper!

I have a co-worker who has been suffering from IBS and chronic hemorrhoids for years - I'm going to talk to her about this too. Hopefully she will find some relief from her misery. She is 72 years old and still working, but is always sick. Why don't doctors know about this?

Can you hunt on your 40 acres? Are you planning to build a house there some day?
    So strange .... I answered this earlier today, but it's not here !
    None of the doctors I have seen (including one who is Paleo, another who is veg, but totally supports me eating paleo) ever mentioned Fructose Malabsorption, despite my complaints about the chronic diarrhea. Everyone seemed to believe that all of that would stop when I got away from the gluten, dairy, sugar, processed things, allergen foods .... moving into year 3 and still dealing with it. Of course they also told me that the extra pounds would just fall off once I got away from the grains and processed foods ....hhhmmmm... they were very wrong about that too !
    It's crazy that not one of them ever thought about the Fructose Malabsorption !

I do hunt out there !
    I considered building out there for a while, before I moved into the house I have now. But there were several considerations that kept me from taking that step. A big part is I want to keep the land as close to the way it was when I was growing up and I like having a place to go to ... sorta my little get away spot where I can go and watch the animals, hunt, walk, etc.
    Another factor is the water out there is not exactly palatable. Oil out there, so the water well would have to be very, very deep to get to some that didn't taste or smell like sulphur - and that would be costly. I don't electricity out there, although at one point on the property there is a high line that comes through (another not so likable thing for me, but there was nothing I could do about it !)
    I love to go out there and do absolutely nothing ... great place to clear my head.

Sounds like my doctors too. I have had many different doctors look at me inside and out! No one ever mentioned it could be fructose. The closest was when my current doctor said, "IBS is all dietary, call me if you want to make an appointment to discuss that". But honestly, I don't think any of them know about it - at least not any I've seen. I suppose there are doctors out there who are willing to look for the cause and do their homework - but most doctors, if trained in the conventional method of university based med school, have been trained to TREAT through medical intervention. The pharmaceutical companies control the medical schools, in my opinion. Since they don't have a pill to "fix" IBS they don't have an answer. I also believe IBS is a catch-all diagnosis meaning........ I have no idea what is wrong you.

Yesterday I was reading that some people have found relief by taking glucose tablets when they eat something containing fructose. They don't understand the mechanism, but say there is something in the glucose that helps facilitate the absorption of the fructose in the small intestine where it is supposed to be absorbed. So - that is something to keep in mind for future use. Perhaps the glucose activates more of the enzyme needed to taxi the fructose across the membrane? Or maybe the fructose just piggy-backs with the glucose? Either way - I'm going to try that as some point. If taking a glucose pill with my roasted veggies will help then I will do it.

Day 9 and doing good! My bowels are happier than they've been in a very long time! Things are moving - not everyday, but enough that I'm not feeling constipated.

Your property sounds wonderful! 40 acres of private sanctuary! Lovely!!!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Sounds like my doctors too. I have had many different doctors look at me inside and out! No one ever mentioned it could be fructose. The closest was when my current doctor said, "IBS is all dietary, call me if you want to make an appointment to discuss that". But honestly, I don't think any of them know about it - at least not any I've seen. I suppose there are doctors out there who are willing to look for the cause and do their homework - but most doctors, if trained in the conventional method of university based med school, have been trained to TREAT through medical intervention. The pharmaceutical companies control the medical schools, in my opinion. Since they don't have a pill to "fix" IBS they don't have an answer. I also believe IBS is a catch-all diagnosis meaning........ I have no idea what is wrong you.

Yesterday I was reading that some people have found relief by taking glucose tablets when they eat something containing fructose. They don't understand the mechanism, but say there is something in the glucose that helps facilitate the absorption of the fructose in the small intestine where it is supposed to be absorbed. So - that is something to keep in mind for future use. Perhaps the glucose activates more of the enzyme needed to taxi the fructose across the membrane? Or maybe the fructose just piggy-backs with the glucose? Either way - I'm going to try that as some point. If taking a glucose pill with my roasted veggies will help then I will do it.

Day 9 and doing good! My bowels are happier than they've been in a very long time! Things are moving - not everyday, but enough that I'm not feeling constipated.

Your property sounds wonderful! 40 acres of private sanctuary! Lovely!!!!
    Day 5 for me and feeling pretty good ! Deeper sleep and still waking up refreshed - such an amazing change of pace for me !
    I haven't read about the glucose tablets yet, that could be a good thing if it works !!!
    I was sitting in the recliner earlier, had my feet up, thinking I was going to take a nap ..... didn't nap, but I did notice that my ankles are skinnier than ever ! Now if that works as well with my thighs, I am gonna be one happy girl !

I hear ya ! If the skinny can transfer from the ankles all the way up and the wrists all the way up - and somehow meet at my belly button! WOO HOO ---- I'll be singing a happy tune! I'm noticing major changes all over doing the Barre3 only 10-30 minutes 5 days a week. It is a great body sculptor. I still have 19 days to see the results on the scale for my whole 30. I'll be biting my fingernails that morning!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I hear ya ! If the skinny can transfer from the ankles all the way up and the wrists all the way up - and somehow meet at my belly button! WOO HOO ---- I'll be singing a happy tune! I'm noticing major changes all over doing the Barre3 only 10-30 minutes 5 days a week. It is a great body sculptor. I still have 19 days to see the results on the scale for my whole 30. I'll be biting my fingernails that morning!
    Calves are looking better today, although they will never be "small" .... built them up with a LOT of plates on the leg press sled and seated and standing calf raises .... but they are looking good. Come on thighs ! LOL
    I miss my old-school gym workouts, but the $ is just not there for it right now, so I'm doing my DDPYoga and I recently got a couple of weighted hoops, so I have some alternatives. Trying to get back to walking again, but my motivation for that is at zero level during the summer. Even at night it's too hot and the humidity will kick you in the behind.

Hubby says my butt is looking good!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Hubby says my butt is looking good!
    Awesome !

Having a hungry day here today. Started out with leftover grilled pork chops, had more at lunch. Ran out of eggs, but I've been painting all day and don't want to stop to clean up just yet. I'm on my break / stretch / walked the dog thing before heading back into the studio. Took a pkg of ground meat out of the freezer, so that will be dinner. Wish there was a hunky well muscled paleo chef in my kitchen cooking dinner for me ... that one that magically turns into a massage therapist after dinner, well .... if that magic works, I might just keep him for a while. LOL

Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast