Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 59

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Hi After a comment from Honeybuns from your journal I thought I might pop in and join the conversation. I have just begun my journey with FODMAPS elimination - as in Just Yesterday!

A little history: About 5 years ago I suddenly started having chronic diarrhea - every. single. day. It was so bad some days I wasn't able to leave the house. Now - I have had tummy troubles my entire life. I missed out on a lot of things growing up because I had a stomach ache. I thought I just had a nervous stomach. Mom never took me to the doc for it - but in the 70's no doctor would have known what to do for me anyway. In the early 90's I was told I had IBS and to just live with it. I did a 3 month schedule of Para90 in hopes my problems stemmed from parasites - low and behold I was "cured" and for a good 10 years I could eat pretty much anything I wanted. Then some life altering events happened, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2000. Fast forward to 2006, I had gained 85 pounds, and due to the pain and fatigue, I had to quite working, by 2008 I was so sick with the fibromyalgia and the diarrhea I was hoping for some fatal disease to release me from my miserable existence. I kept searching for answers to my troubles - spent lots of time and money on doctors visits - and finally found MDA and Primal in November of 2011. Within 3 days of cutting grains, legumes and sugars from my diet I was feeling amazingly better! I started walking daily - granted at first I could only do a block at a time - but eventually worked up to 2+ miles. I've lost 30 pounds so far. But the tummy issues haven't been resolved. I found through blood tests that I'm hypothyroid and a low dose Armor Thyroid has got my levels up to normal - and for a short time that also seemed to fix my tummy troubles. But they came back. Which gets me to today................ I was searching IBS/diarrhea and found FODMAPS (again, I had briefly looked at it a year ago) and I also found Fructose Malabsorption - I read enough to realize that I could very likely have this problem and will need to do some experimenting to find out for sure. So.......... I have just embarked on a 2 week NO CARBS experiment to see if fructose is my nemesis. If so, I will be feeling better - I will also kill off the "bad" bacteria in my gut - and then after the 2 weeks I will start re-introducing foods one at a time to see what foods are on my safe list and what foods I will have to completely avoid.

I found it very interesting that the effects of the "bad" foods can take up to 72 hours to manifest. I guess this is going to be a long and difficult experiment.

I hope its okay if I follow along on your journey.
    Hi Tomi !
    Absolutely follow .... hopefully we can clarify the gut issues we have and get this cleared up. Your story sounds so similar to mine. The first time that I remember having serious issues was over twenty years ago, within twenty to thirty minutes after a nice meal at a restaurant. Horrific cramping, literally crying all the way home (we were a good thirty miles away from the nearest bathroom) and then non stop diarrhea. I ate the same food as the rest of the family, no one else was sick, so food poisoning was ruled out, as was a virus.

After that time it seemed to be pretty much every time I ate, I was running to the bathroom. Three years ago, I was tested, came home with a list of 20 plus foods that I am highly reactive to, and the flat out statement, no more gluten of any kind (not just the gluten in wheat, but all of it evidently) and no dairy, no nightshades, no this, no that .... and my doctor reassured me that the added weight I was carrying was going to literally be dropping off me, especially since we also found my thyroid and hormones to be out of whack. His opinion was the diarrhea was a direct result of the celiac and all the food allergies, but that didn't stop.

I was already working out and putting on muscle, so I figured that this was going to a cinch. Plus, for the most part I had grown up primarily primal, so eliminating things wasn't that earth shaking. Fast forward three years to now .... and with the exception of 30 lbs. lost when I had a doc talk me into doing 800 cal. a day and the hcg shots, my weight has not changed. Well, other than the fact that the 30 lbs magically reappeared as soon as I stopped the shots and went up from the 800 calories.

I am staying with only the foods in the allowable or safe section of my FODMAP chart, not even going to work with the caution section. But, I am still dealing with more diarrhea than what I should - and that is puzzling to me.
    I've gone the route of the Whole30 and stayed with that for a few months, but no significant changes there either. It's irritating and sometimes depressing as hell. I have given up the brassicas for a while too, to see if that makes a difference for me.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Have you even been tested for parasites? Most main stream doctors or labs don't test for everything so some get missed - maybe a good 3 month of a parasite cleanse would do you some good. And good health food store can tell you what to take.

I'm on day 3 of ZERO carbs. All I've eaten is meat/eggs/fish. Strictly protein and fats. NO dairy of any kind, and absolutely NO fruits or vegetables. I'm going to keep this up for 2 weeks. Day 1 and 2 I had the typical tummy troubles, but much less diarrhea on day 2. Day 3 has been NO tummy troubles and NO diarrhea - so I'm hopeful that I'm on to something here.

Lets stay in touch and see if we can help each other find the answer! You're welcome to come on over to my journal.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Have you even been tested for parasites? Most main stream doctors or labs don't test for everything so some get missed - maybe a good 3 month of a parasite cleanse would do you some good. And good health food store can tell you what to take.

I'm on day 3 of ZERO carbs. All I've eaten is meat/eggs/fish. Strictly protein and fats. NO dairy of any kind, and absolutely NO fruits or vegetables. I'm going to keep this up for 2 weeks. Day 1 and 2 I had the typical tummy troubles, but much less diarrhea on day 2. Day 3 has been NO tummy troubles and NO diarrhea - so I'm hopeful that I'm on to something here.

Lets stay in touch and see if we can help each other find the answer! You're welcome to come on over to my journal.
    Grins ... I am on my second bottle of Wormwood Combination. A friend of mine has a small, but amazing shop about twenty minutes away. She's been in the business of health, holistic healing, supplements, etc. for over thirty years. She recommended that I take it, as she suspected that parasites might be an issue.
    I am wondering if I should give the 0 carb thing only a try .... I am not one to eat fish, other than tuna and that is one of the foods that I am allergic to. But, for two weeks, I can deal with no veggies, although I will miss my romaine.
    I don't mind dropping veggies for a bit if it will make a difference in feeling better, as well as getting the weight to start dropping .... much prefer this over doing the craziness of dropping the calorie counts down to 600 - 800 per day.

That's worked for me in the past, but that is just not healthy and it made me crazy, emotionally as well as physically.

I signed up to get notifications to your journal and I am reading through it as well.

dropping your calories that low is not good for you. And that hcg diet is horrible! I've got a friend who sells the stuff through the doctor that she worked for in Arizona. Her husband takes it - he'll lose a bunch of weight - then go off the hcg and gain it all or more back again. I think that stuff should be illegal. Its not regulated at all.

Let me know if you're gonna try to zero carb approach. So far I have to say its working great for me.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

dropping your calories that low is not good for you. And that hcg diet is horrible! I've got a friend who sells the stuff through the doctor that she worked for in Arizona. Her husband takes it - he'll lose a bunch of weight - then go off the hcg and gain it all or more back again. I think that stuff should be illegal. Its not regulated at all.

Let me know if you're gonna try to zero carb approach. So far I have to say its working great for me.
    Yeah, there's no way I would go the route of the hcg again .... I did that in 2010 and paid a LOT of cash for it, that sure could have been used more productively ! LOL

Today is day 1 of the zero carb. Had leftover ground and 3 large organic eggs this morning. Really need some ideas on what to eat though, especially since I don't eat fish. Granted, I get the concept of meat and eggs, but are you using any seasonings or anything ?

If you follow a FODMAPS guide it suggests cutting all seasonings accept for salt and pepper in the beginning. I decided to go 2 weeks just to make sure I have killed off all the bugs that feed on fructose. Once you kill off the bad bacteria in the large intestines (by starving them of fructose) then you can begin to very slowly reintroduce things back in. But slowly means one single thing every few days. I will start with the things on the FODMAPS friendly chart.

Are you allergic/sensitive to all fish? what happens if you eat it?

my diet consists of this:
    roast
    ground beef patty
    home canned tuna
    eggs
    chicken
    salmon
    shrimp
    pork
    pork rinds for snacks
    bacon

Any type of protein from animals is fine. If you have access to a butcher shop you can probably get game birds and things too.

I'm on day 5 and doing good. I over did it on ground pork for dinner last night and I don't have a gall bladder - so I had some issues with that. Good to know I need to avoid the high fat things.

Good luck on the zero carb experiment! We have an N=2 going here!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

If you follow a FODMAPS guide it suggests cutting all seasonings accept for salt and pepper in the beginning. I decided to go 2 weeks just to make sure I have killed off all the bugs that feed on fructose. Once you kill off the bad bacteria in the large intestines (by starving them of fructose) then you can begin to very slowly reintroduce things back in. But slowly means one single thing every few days. I will start with the things on the FODMAPS friendly chart.

Are you allergic/sensitive to all fish? what happens if you eat it?

my diet consists of this:
    roast
    ground beef patty
    home canned tuna
    eggs
    chicken
    salmon
    shrimp
    pork
    pork rinds for snacks
    bacon

Any type of protein from animals is fine. If you have access to a butcher shop you can probably get game birds and things too.

I'm on day 5 and doing good. I over did it on ground pork for dinner last night and I don't have a gall bladder - so I had some issues with that. Good to know I need to avoid the high fat things.

Good luck on the zero carb experiment! We have an N=2 going here!

I need to find a clearer FODMAP .... some of the text on the one I downloaded is so tiny I missed the seasonings on it completely. I've just never cared for fish that much ... allergic to tuna (reactions to that included bloating, not being able to breathe clearly, itchiness) and also allergic to scallops, clams and oysters, but I have never eaten any of them ever ... so no idea how they would affect me.
    I like salmon, but it was always fried (salmon patty thing). I haven't tried any in years, got really sick once after eating some of the canned plain (although it was the good stuff).

I do have some venison left in the freezer, but I haven't gotten any quail in a long time. Love them, but there are virtually none where I hunt and they are too pricey to buy around here.
    I don't have a gall bladder any more either, lost that in 99. I take digestive enzymes and probiotics and they help, but I think that this elimination process is what I have needed to do.

Heading for the store tomorrow, so I can pick up some meat and more eggs. Wiped out 8 today, and I haven't had dinner yet. I have felt tired and draggy all day, but that's how it's been for me lately. I am hoping my energy levels will come up fast with this.

Make sure you're taking a good quality Omega 3 right now too. Eggs are high in Omega 6, as is commercial raised chicken and beef (corn fed). I bought a bottle of Carlson liquid fish oil. Its SPENDY - but you only take a teaspoon per day.

I love that you hunt! That's pretty awesome, and nothing is better than free food! I really want to find a source of Wild Boar. That is GOOD meat!

I use this chart. I've heard some have 3 catagories - but I think this one is good.
    http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fo...tolerances.pdf
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Make sure you're taking a good quality Omega 3 right now too. Eggs are high in Omega 6, as is commercial raised chicken and beef (corn fed). I bought a bottle of Carlson liquid fish oil. Its SPENDY - but you only take a teaspoon per day.

I love that you hunt! That's pretty awesome, and nothing is better than free food! I really want to find a source of Wild Boar. That is GOOD meat!

I use this chart. I've heard some have 3 catagories - but I think this one is good.
    http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fo...tolerances.pdf
    I use SuperOmega3 in the lemon flavor from Stronger Faster Healthier : SFH.com
    We've got some wild hog in the freezer, but it's not my favorite thing to eat, I prefer javelina ... but I don't have any javelina on my land here. The wild hogs are around though. I may drag some of that boar out of the freezer and see what I can do to it.

So far I am feeling pretty good, I have actually slept better the past tow nights than I have in a long time.
    Made up some burger patties yesterday, boiled two dozen eggs ... made some old style deviled eggs today. No mayo .... grated up the eggs (white and yolk) added sea salt and coarse ground pepper, a little coconut oil and vinegar. My grandmother used to always make her regular deviled eggs with a little vinegar instead mayo, so perhaps that is an acquired taste from my childhood.

Thank you for the chart - appreciate it !

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the pig/boar is best when slow cooked. We put ours in the deep pit and cooked it for 12 hours. Probably should have taken it out at 10, but it was still really good.

How much land do you have? We live on a 1/2 acre in the middle of town - except we are surrounded by 12 acres of park land - 10 of which is undeveloped forest and runs along the river. We get the occassional deer in our yard - but in the city they frown upon hunting I do like to fish - well let me clarify - I like to CATCH fish - on those off days when you don't catch anything I would rather be doing something else.

I have noticed that since going zero carb I have been sleeping better also. Nice plus. I'm in ketosis according to the ketostix that used yesterday. Gut is still happy and no bathroom issues!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast