Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 5

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quite pleased today with my workout, although I have to wait a little longer on the calf raises. Goblet squats were smoother and more explosive and my muscles are not screaming painful tonight. My foot is improving and I'm sold on the more natural shoes.
    Still researching meat prices for better prices, got an estimate on the next butchering from a local rancher and it's a lot higher than I can afford at this point. I'll be soooo glad when November rolls around so I can go hunt ! Seriously considering ordering some elk meat to supplement the venison I have left in the freezer.
    We're still in an oppressive drought here that will definitely affect hunting season - and the size of the deer.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Quiet day today. Did a lot of functional movement today, reworked several cabinets, moved some big rocks outside, did laundry. Thought about my Dad a lot today, the things he used to talk about, the times we spent hunting, fishing, building fences, making stuff, so many memories. It will be 5 years come late November since he went to be with the Old Ones. Although a lot has changed at my parents home, some things remain the same, his camouflage hunting cap still hangs on the hat rack he made, where he left it after his final hunt just days before he crossed. I still stop in the kitchen at his "corner" of the counter-top where he kept loose change divided up in empty tuna cans, neatly tucked into a specialty cigar box. I had a habit of checking for wheat pennies, I still sift through them, as if one or two might magically appear.

This is the time of year that we would begin prepping for deer season. Actually, that's not really the way it was - it was year round, just mixed in with everything else that we were doing. Summer would mark the time though that we would go out to shoot, check the scopes, adjust for the pull, go through the ammo boxes and check the shells, sharpen all of our knives, do all the little things. Granted 95% of it we would do again in late September, but it was how he lived, how we all lived.

As a rule this would also be about the time we would defrost the freezers, shuttling the meat from one freezer to the other, and pulling out older packages of venison that had not been used. We would thaw in ice chests, then do a double grind of the meat with some nice beef fat mixed in, then create the assembly line to package up venison hamburger. I still remember his smile when I came home one weekend from New Mexico and brought him ground buffalo. Now you can buy it at HEB.

I remember one week, several months after I had moved to NM, I was talking with the parents on the phone and my Dad mentioned he was making jerky that week. I was homesick in an instant. Two days later a guy from FedEx is knocking at my door with an overnight package .... my Dad shipped deer jerky to me.
    I know that he would be pleased that I am primal again. Although he never said anything to me when I went veg, I know that he he was not pleased with that choice.

I had ground buffalo tonight mixed with squash, okra, onions and mushrooms. It reminded me of some of the things I would throw together when I living at home with the parents. It was always some cut of deer meat and whatever fresh veggies were in the garden, and I was always experimenting with seasonings, and lots of jalapenos. I was out in my Dad's shop one day to tell him lunch was ready, he was finishing up a brake job for a guy. When I walked out, I heard him tell the guy, "yeah, she's a hella good cook. I may not not what the hell it is I'm eating, but it's always good".

Happy Father's Day Daddy ... Miss you.

Ok ... I'm back. Well, I never actually left, my words just never found their way into the journal. I did get some work done, so there will be a check on the way (WOOOHOOO), continued with my workouts - sans calf raises, had two great adjustments with the chiro and still managed to screw up my neck again, and discovered that I have to improve how I am taping my foot, because the broken toe has not healed (which totally sucks).

Picked up some dino kale earlier this week, so there's a stir fry tonight. I also found some beautiful small eggplant, although I have no clue what the hell I'm going to do with them, although the thought of dredging them in a little coconut flour and frying them is pretty appealing.

Got up this morning and immediately noticed that my face is leaner, thinner ... quite pleased with that ! Now to see leaner hips and thighs !

Attended a family/extended family thing earlier today ... saw a relative there who asked me my age, then stated, wait, I can tell by how you look, and I am certain that you are maybe ** ... if not younger. I just smiled and said YES, I AM ** ... You are totally right ! She went on to tell me how great my skin looks, etc. .... So, never mind the fact that the age she declared me to be is a mere 8 years older than my son. I swear, she is of sound mind !!!

Giggling .... sure as hell made my day !

Started the lepin reset this morning ... a little strange for me to eat so soon after getting up, but I'm doing this. Still reading on Jack Kruse's site, although there are parts that just blow right past the wiring in my brain !
    Off to the store for more meat, okra and olive oil.

Tried the cauliflower 'rice' yesterday ... OMG, it was absolutely amazing ! I've cooked cauliflower many ways and the majority of the dishes were quite yummy, but it was obviously cauliflower. This cauliflower 'rice' did not taste like cauliflower !!!
    My next batch I will try a bit of curry with it. The only issue I had with it was my son came in and started eating the raw grated cauliflower before I could even start cooking LOL !

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I should try that sometime...
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Decidedly irritated with the son ... he's complaining about his allergies, dark circles under the eyes .... duh ! Blood tests gave him twenty something things he is allergic to in foods and what is he doing now ? EATING all the crap again. Granted I know I can't force him into changing what he is eating since he is of age now ... I leave Primal and Paleo things EVERYWHERE in the house so he will see it ... and we've had discussions about what sugar, dairy, gluten and grains do to you ... he was great for about 3 weeks and then it was frack it, I'm eating what I want.
    A lesson there for both of us .. he has to come to terms that he is creating the allergies and I have to let him make his own mistakes. I will keep showing by example though how awesome it is to be primal !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Maybe I should try that sometime...
    It's really yummy !

I finally got to the grocery store Friday afternoon ... I spent a while last week planning out a few meals from the PB cookbook and Everyday Paleo. Other than a few non-edible things on the list, the cart was beautiful with good meats, lots of veggies and some fruit for my son. I did notice though several of the employees in the produce area looking my way several times .... geesh ... did I spend tooooooo much time in your department ?
    Holy crap.
    So, I finally get to the check-out, I have things pretty much sorted as I put them on the stand ... an assortment of meats, 3 dozen eggs, veggies, fruits, finally the t.paper and laundry soap. The cashier is scanning and scanning and looking at the vast array of fresh yummy food and then he opens his mouth ... and I quote "You don't have ANY food !"
    What the frack !
    I suppose my look of disbelief and a little disgust must have shown (a little) because he said ... "well, I mean ... stutter, stutter ... there's no bread, no mac-n-cheese, no milk, no cereals, no canned things, no sodas or chips .... what DO you even eat ?"

I gave him the run-down, politely of course - and - the web addy here.
    Bizarre, funny and downright sad that there are so many people who look at fresh veggies and fruits, and meats and don't see food !

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    ... an assortment of meats, 3 dozen eggs, veggies, fruits, finally the t.paper and laundry soap. The cashier is scanning and scanning and looking at the vast array of fresh yummy food and then he opens his mouth ... and I quote "You don't have ANY food !"

Bizarre, funny and downright sad that there are so many people who look at fresh veggies and fruits, and meats and don't see food ![/QUOTE]

OMG!! Seriously?! Lightbulb moment! Can we guess how he eats?

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast