Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 45

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's been a rough week here ... Had a lot of congestion and allergy things going on shortly before the holidays, but on the 25th I was slammed with the whole enchilada. I tried to ride it out with the usual things, herbal teas, steam, extra vitamin C, tylenol for fever, etc.
    I ended up in the ER on the 29th, after the fever came on the night before, got up pretty high for me and then stayed there. Thankfully the x-rays showed no signs then of pneumonia. The really cute ER Doc sent me home with 4 scripts and the usual spiel of drink plenty of fluids, light meals, rest, rest, rest .....
    I took the meds as prescribed and went to bed .... and woke up about 3 AM screaming in pain. It felt like my stomach was being ripped apart. My son called EMS and at 4:15 AM I was back in the ER. EMS techs ran heart monitor things, did an IV and gave me some pain and nausea meds on the way over .... EKG as soon as I was at the ER, and then constant monitoring for hours. The doctor said it was a severe drug reaction, she couldn't rule out the antibiotic entirely, but said that the likely culprit was the Tylenol with codeine.
    I've never had codeine in anything before, so I had no clue that I would be sensitive to it. I wonder now if I am more sensitive to things like that because of the Celiac ... and since it appears that I am also dealing with IBS.
    They released me a little over five hours later, with all new meds ...
    Still feeling pretty rough, really, really weak and I am worn out from coughing and sneezing and sleeping. I've slept the biggest part of two days away.
    Ok .... enough for now, have to go and lay down again ....
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Hope you feel better quick. The crud is no fun.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Hope you feel better quick. The crud is no fun.
    No fun at all .... I've had a few moments of feeling better, then back to crap. Just took the meds that make me dizzy as hell, so I am off to sleep for a while.

Slept most of the night, warm and comfy .... not even any weird dreams, despite the fact that I sat most of the day, dozed and caught up with the whole last season of Walking Dead.
    Still coughing, but it's not as painful today and I actually feel like moving around more .... thankfully ! I have to say, this sleeping 80% of the day away is not something I was thrilled with.
    Have a nice salad planned for later, really wanting fresh lettuces right now.

Salad last night was amazing, although I didn't have as many radishes as I would prefer, but it was so nice to actually TASTE the food again ! Barely sprinkled on a bit of sea salt, and that was almost too much ... interesting how my taste buds are reacting.
    Still on an abbreviated IF, with a small bowl of homemade "chili" earlier today. Getting ready to throw some veggies together for dinner. Feeling a lot better today, and hope to get to the grocery store tomorrow. We have heavy rain coming in Tuesday and Wednesday, and I'm not quite ready to deal with that yet.

I'm really focusing on refining everything now, the trips to the ER were pretty unnerving to me, and I know that a part of my getting this crap was due to the fact that I wasn't as careful with my choices and supplements and I let my immune system get run down. Even though the doctor ruled this a drug allergy complication, it scared the hell outta me ... and left me with a stronger resolve to really get my ducks in a row and keep the little suckers there.

So, I am off to do the veggie thing and make out a list for the grocery store ... I am hoping to try the carnitas this week .... that recipe keeps calling me !

Yesterday my home was filled with the most tantalizing aroma ... I used the recipe that was recently posted in Mark's blog for Crispy Carnitas. It is so fracking amazing ! I'm still rather blown away by the fact that I have never eaten Carnitas. I grew up in a small Texas town where the primary foods are either barbecue or Mexican. Living in Santa Fe, NM for close to five years, one would assume I would have eaten it there too, but no. Not one single time .... until now.
    I've grown up eating what I hunted myself, from venison to javelina, with the random small game thrown in here and there, along with interesting and tasty tidbits of barbecued marrow-gut, cabrito, even mountain oysters. SO ... HOW did I miss out on the Carnitas ?
    Last night's dinner was sublime, genuine mouth watering bliss .... the meat literally fell apart, and the natural fat kept it moist and so rich tasting.
    I made "tacos" with large leaves of romaine, piled high with the meat, and finished off with finely chopped sweet onion and a liberal squeeze of fresh lime juice. It was so wonderful, I ate the same thing this morning !

This morning I checked the ads for the local grocery store and now I even happier ... the pork shoulder/butt price is at $1.00 per pound ! OMG ... going to the store later for more ! (hhhmnnn ... and more romaine and fresh limes too !) I would be jumping up and down if it was pastured pork, but nonetheless, I am thrilled !

THANK YOU MARK for an amazing recipe !

Ravens rocked it tonight !!! Wooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last night I reread It Starts With Food ... and made the decision that I REALLY CAN do without the two little packets of stevia I use daily. It's a mental thing I suppose.
    I am tired though of not seeing any definitive progress, so it seemed to be the most logical step to take. I am moving back into my workouts now, but I feel like I am slogging through mud. That in itself is irritating as hell. I love the workouts I am doing with DDPYoga, they are awesome, but I do hope to get back to the gym at some point to lift again.

Getting so damned sick in December has really thrown things out of kilter for me, with diet (eating was not a priority then) working out (impossible to do when I could barely walk around) and being too sick to even get into the studio to work on anything. I felt so overwhelmed with everything. I do admit there were times this past year, I was running around like I was wearing a Wonder Woman outfit and I "thought" I could handle damn near anything ... including the big fracking tree that fell over in my back yard (yeah, the one that is still laying in the back yard), and the front patio that I am still struggling to finish, along with moving all the crushed granite out of the drive way.
    I never even liked that stupid show anyway .... and it's just impossible to move big trees and lift heavy rocks without the boobage falling outta the top of the Wonder Woman costume. Sigh ...

So, the past week or so have been a lesson in introspection for me. I had to move past blaming myself for getting sick. Yes, I did, I blamed myself because I wasn't getting in my usual supplements that keep my digestive and immune system happy happy happy - and my meals went to crap. No, I didn't fall off the paleo wagon, but I wasn't eating in the way I had been, as far as paying attention to the nutrients and getting in plenty of yumminess with veggies and occasional fruit. I did, however slug down a HUGE jug of freshly squeezed orange juice (which at the time was the only thing I could even taste and the only thing that I wanted) ... and needless to say, that threw my system way the hell outta whack.
    I had to get past my self anger with how I was sleeping ... which at the time meant I was either sleeping 90% of the day, or I was so wired that I was sitting up late nights in the recliner watching infomercials.
    I had to work on letting go of the stress that was starting to suffocate me every time another bill arrived in the mail, and I realized how long it had been without any work. Sometimes being self employed is a real bitch.
    I think more with the creative side of my brain and now I am FINALLY getting where I am NOT going to take orders without a down payment, regardless of who they are. I've never been comfy with the biz side of things, and that is one thing that I am changing, or I won't be eating (or paying bills!).

Thankfully I have had a few orders, one big one completed yesterday and ready to be picked up, another pet portrait ordered and some jewelry pieces requested ... and one work table is covered with gourds ready to cut.

Reading last night I kept going back to the statement that I can change my life in 30 days and I realized that I need to focus on this on multiple levels, not just giving up stevia and the few minor food changes it entails.
    Writing my little rant on here today is a part of the changes I am embracing. I tend to shut down when the shit hits the fan and I don't ask for help easily. It's difficult and it is something that I am working on to change.

I am embracing change with the 30 day, as well as making some big changes with my work, and I am writing down my goals again. I divided up a large notebook into sections to cover all of the changes I want to work on ... from my meals, to my personal life, to projects that are unfinished and those that I need to start in my house, as well as in the yard. I've listed my projects / goals for each and as I work on them I will add in my thoughts, as a way of journaling my progress.
    It did occur to me that I tend to take on a bit more than what one person can reasonably handle at times, and as a result I end up overwhelmed. I have to spend the majority of my time in the studio, and balance that with my writing to keep up the deadlines with the magazine I write for ... and here I am looking at the kitchen cabinets (half of which have no doors on them because I am STILL stripping the paint off of the remainder ... and don't even ask me how long that little project has been going on ! LOL ) or out the window at that damned tree sprawled out across the yard.

OK, priorities :
    My health ... good clean meals, in accordance to the Whole 30, my workouts and soon, back on my supplements
    My work ... a better balance with working in the studio and sitting down to write, and learning to be a hard azz with the business side of things, and I will set up a separate web site for my work, as opposed to only having a few photo albums on my FB site (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2426244&type=3 )
    It's been suggested to me to set up a separate blog site to encompass both my writing and my art, and I am considering that now. I've balked at the idea for a while, and I realize now that the hesitancy was about not trusting in myself, and that is something I AM CHANGING !
    My family ... more balance there too, including the fact that I need to have time for me !

I am embracing the change because I am worth it ... and although I know there will be some big challenges with it, ultimately it will be happy, happy, happy thing !

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Yay!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Yay!
    Thanks !

Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast