Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 4

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good workout today, I'm still in the process of primal-izing my workouts, but I am in and out of the gym in 35 minutes. Seriously looking at ordering a copy of Convict Conditioning.

I noticed today that I am retaining fluid, not exactly sure what is up with that (maybe the bacon ?) Curious ....
    Meals today
    B - eggs, meatballs, 4 strawberries
    L - Avocado, chicken rolled into romaine leaves
    D - Pork chop, steamed asparagus w/organic lemon
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Sat in a doctor's office today for an hour and half, while my Mom had a routine checkup. I neglected to grab a book before I left, so I resorted to reading the few available magazines in the lobby. I've had email offers lately to a women's fitness magazine, including one email asking what types of articles I would find relevant regarding workouts, nutrition, etc. - and the same magazine was sitting on a side table.
    So, I picked up the copy to check it out. Several articles were vaguely interesting (ok, I was bored) , others like the multiple pages on shoe comparisons and ratings ... not so much. Truthfully, there was very little meat in the magazine for my tastes. (Literally !)
    Glossy pics, ads and more ads .... but the confirmation on why I don't waste my money on subscriptions on these things came with the diet and nutrition pages (ok, on the workouts too .... )
    I suppose I shouldn't be surprised with the pointers for "healthy" eating .... with the premise of exchanging an unhealthy food for one that is "healthy" .....ex.: exchange white bread for healthy whole wheat bread, include more whole grains, etc. .... holy crappola. I didn't miss the little 'ad' touting canola oil as a "safe, healthy" alternative either .... gimme my coconut oil, bacon fat, tallow !

Just frigging pisses me off to see publications that claim to be all about health and fitness polishing up the same misinformed mainstream bullshit and throwing it out there as if it is the answer to all. Total sell-out.

Still in the dark as to why in the hell Google shows a link to my private messages on here ... luckily it was a simple question and answer thing, but having my settings on private from the very beginning, it should not be there. Sonsabeaches.

Made up a huge batch of meatballs this afternoon. One batch basic with grated squash, onions, coconut, dry seasonings with a mix of ground beef and ground turkey. The remaining batch I added in curry powder. They came out good, although the curry seasoning could be stronger.

B - eggs, turkey bacon
    L - cucumbers in lemon juice, meatballs
    D - meatballs, broccoli, mushrooms

I've spent some time on the site today looking at the supplements. I've run out of everything other than my Vit. D. I'm finding myself debating back and forth between the Damage Control and the Advanced Health Formula. Obviously the Damage Control will give me a wider range of supplementation. If any of you are taking either - please let me know your thoughts. Thanks !

So, despite hitting my foot again last night, I believe the bone is healing now, much less pain when I am walking, minimal swelling.
    Meals were ok ...
    B - turkey bacon, small avocado
    L - handful raw walnuts, small apple, meatlballs
    D - cucumber in lemon juice and dill, chicken

Heading on to dream, stayed up till 3 last night to finish my article and get it sent it. Now I am ready for some sleep !

IF today .... primarily due to the heat today and just not wanting to eat a lot. My son made an awesome roast for us tonight with roasted cauliflower and carrots. I keep holding out that he will begin eating primal, but right now he's not at the point of letting go of bread and pasta. I keep the primal cookbooks and the Blueprint out where he can see them, and I have noticed that he is taking the time to read through them .... so who knows, maybe he will be a primal convert soon !
    Finished out the last of the grass-fed beef and now I'm looking at locating a better source of meat. There's a great meat market about 15 minutes away, but they don't carry grass-fed - in fact when I asked about it, the reply was "I have no idea what the cattle are fed".
    The supplier I had been buying from has obviously changed and the last two times that I have bought from them, the meat is tough, grisly and not enjoyable at all. It's been frustrating to me, the first year and a half that I bought from them, the meat was fabulous, and it's the polar opposite.

Calling a rancher tomorrow where I can get a 1/4, which the website shows as an approximate 90-120 lbs. of steaks, roasts, stew meat and hamburger. Will be interesting to see what the price may be. Black Angus (my favorite) and Red and Black Wagyu. I came across the website unexpectedly and surprisingly they have the cattle grazing right here as well as on ranches about 45 minutes away. I like the fact that the cattle are raised and butchered locally.

Good workout this morning, but overdid it on the walking this afternoon and my foot is not doing well. Wasn't able to get in touch with the rancher yet, but did leave a message, so I am hopeful that I have found a good source of grass fed meat (and at a good price).
    Ended up going into Austin with my son, he needed to get shoes. He's been dealing with plantar fasciitis and is constantly in pain. We went to Luke's Locker, where I get my shoes. These people are amazing with fitting shoes. So, after the guy watched my son walk, stand, run, etc. - he starts telling him about wearing shoes like the Vibrams and other shoes that allow the foot to move naturally. Since he can't wear Vibrams to work, he tried on multiple pairs of other styles and ended up with Nike Free.
    It was pretty cool to listen to the guy explaining why we need to go barefoot or wear shoes that are not restrictive - very primal ! Although I had not planned on buying shoes for myself, I ended up with a pair of Altra's. They feel amazing (well with the exception of the toe !).
    When the toe heals up, I'm going to see how the Vibrams feel ... have to start saving up the change now !

Made a quick run into Whole Foods and left happy with four bunches of Dino Kale, apples, walnuts and picked up some Artisana coconut oil. Needless to say, kale was on the menu tonight.

B - ham slice, scrambled eggs
    L - meatballs, large salad of romaine, sprouts, butter lettuce, avocado, radishes
    D - stir-fry kale with onions, mushrooms, carrot, bacon
    Last edited by Orannhawk; 06-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Apparently Mom decided to ask the guy at her shoe store about the VFFs. Amazing how they seem to think that wearing something that doesn't make my feet hurt now (other than their insoles) will make my feet fall apart later. *rolls her eyes*
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Never knew Nike made their own version of a minimalist shoe. How much did that run your son?
    Georgette

I think he said the Nike's were 89.00 ... not cheap, but certainly not super expensive either.

I've been really pleased with Luke's Locker, they really take their time to fit you and give you a lot of alternatives.
    Know what you mean Twibble .... I used to go to another store where it seemed that the salespeople pushed whatever shoes they were currently wearing and anything other than that, they were convinced were 'bad shoes'. Of course that was the same store who kept trying to fit me in a stability shoe when in reality it was the exact opposite of what I needed to wear.

I've had the Altras's on all day today and have had virtually no discomfort with the broken toe ... I feel more balanced and stable in these shoes, so much so that I am returning the Brooks shoes I bought a few weeks ago (had not worn them yet because of the toe) and exchanging them for another low profile shoe - maybe a second pair of Altras.

So I get online this morning after I get back from gym ... happily enjoying my bacon, eggs and a cup of black coffee while I am reading my email. An email from my Mom, hhmmnnnn, with a picture and a note about the 'title' which she had changed from Redneck Turtle Burgers to Happy Primal Turtle Burgers. Granted, I would have to omit the cheese and I would definitely use a good sausage or maybe a buffalo dog ... but I have to admit, the Momma has a sense of humor with the emails she gets and sends out.

Yeah .... there's a turtle burger in my near future !

Good workout this morning. IF for most of the day, then some leftover ground buffalo thrown in with coconut oil sauteed onions, yellow squash, okra and a handful of fresh green beans. Yummy !

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast