Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 3

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    LOL !
    Crispy, crunchy, tasty mountain oysters and maregut (marrow gut) ... passing on the livers and the gizzards .....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    LMAO! Just read the armadillo story. That completely made my day. That sounds like something my dad would've done when he was a kid.

And all this talk about calf fries/mountain oysters and fried chicken livers is making me hungry again. Must... stop... reading...

Well, another long and strange day .... something in the air I suppose. More about that later .... mulling the thoughts around at this point.
    Happy contented meals, relaxed mind, tighter muscles and an incredibly sore painful foot. My copies of Blueprint and the cookbook will be here Saturday, so I am very excited about new reading material.

Meals today - bacon, eggs, tea
    handful of fresh blueberries and walnuts
    sunflower sprouts w/hearts of palm, avocado, a few olives
    mixed bowl - gr. meat, onions, mushrooms, shredded cabbage, fresh ginger

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    Well, another long and strange day .... something in the air I suppose. More about that later .... mulling the thoughts around at this point.
    Happy contented meals, relaxed mind, tighter muscles and an incredibly sore painful foot. My copies of Blueprint and the cookbook will be here Saturday, so I am very excited about new reading material.

Meals today - bacon, eggs, tea
    handful of fresh blueberries and walnuts
    sunflower sprouts w/hearts of palm, avocado, a few olives
    mixed bowl - gr. meat, onions, mushrooms, shredded cabbage, fresh ginger
    I need to make your mixed bowl. I love cabbage and have an entire head in the fridge for over a month and I don't think its gone bad. I need to find ways to use up the cabbage. Still thinking about making some fried chicken livers though.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I need to make your mixed bowl. I love cabbage and have an entire head in the fridge for over a month and I don't think its gone bad. I need to find ways to use up the cabbage. Still thinking about making some fried chicken livers though.
    I used some of the shredded cabbage last night - threw it on the top of the meat in the skillet and just turned the heat off, so it added some crunchy texture to the bowl.
    One of my favorite things for cabbage is to quarter it , drizzle it with a little olive oil and sea salt and bake it .... or chop it up, throw in other veggies and add Indian spices and make a curry like stir fry.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I can't eat curries. Its one of those things that makes me ill.
    Georgette

More to write, but it can wait until tomorrow ....
    Meals today were good, turkey and eggs for breakfast, grilled chicken and onions at lunch, cucumber in fresh lemon juice,
    dinner tonight pork chops and broccoli, small handful fresh blueberries.

Blueprint and cookbook arrived this morning, spent the afternoon reading and alternating ice and herbs on the foot. Ventured out to the grocery store late in the afternoon to pick up a few things, great on the nutrition, not so much with the broken bone. Wonder how many people heard me cussing under my breath .... grins ...
    Went to the meat department to pick up some ground meat, it looked like a horde of primals had already been through the store, virtually nothing there. Another person was standing there, contemplating the lack of ground beef when the manager of the meat dept. came out. I asked if he could bring more out and he replied he would go and grind up some. The person next to me requested the lowest fat ratio and the manager turned to me and asked would you also like the low fat ?
    I thought the poor woman next to me was going to fall to the floor when I answered no, please bring me the real meat with the fat ! Giggling ....
    and then I looked down in my basket at onions, broccoli, cabbage, portabellas, and blueberries .... and as she placed her low fat ground in her basket, along with high sugar, low fat snack foods, breads, rolls, sodas and an array of canned and boxed things pretending to be food, it was difficult not to notice how extremely unhealthy she appeared. May Creator guide her to a healthier way to live. (Primal of course !)
    I am so thankful to be primal, to not be caught up in the media storm of grain-ular idolatry, low-fat, inane pyramid/now plate-ness societal pressure.

My Mom called me today and asked me more questions, wanting recipes and ideas for primal meals for one that she would enjoy. Smiling, now to get her off the M&M's too !

Meals today were good, although one egg yolk this morning decided to feign the firm appearance I prefer, and then ran in a yellow puddle across my plate. There's just something about that I just don't like, it ranks right up there with jello moving around. Never was big on jello, pretty to look at, but just troublesome.
    Meals:
    Eggs and bacon
    Baked chicken, avocado, boiled egg, butter lettuce and baby spinach
    Sunflower sprouts, olives, cucumber, radishes, hearts of palm, shrooms, pork chop

So, after months and months of struggling with a food plan, working out and seeing no change on the scales ... I return to my roots of primal life and in one week, the scale is dropping. WoooooHoooo !
    I'm especially pleased with that since my workouts have been slightly altered with the boot to take the pressure off the broken bone ... but realistically the only thing I can't do right now are calf raises and my spinner.

I am feeling so incredibly comfortable with food now, feeling good about how I feel ... it's such a new feeling, a wondrous thing to feel passionate about food and being primal. I re-read a blog/journal entry today that I wrote - interestingly enough, one month ago today. Thankfully I never developed an eating disorder, but I did have issues with food growing up due to the overwhelming circumstances around me.
    An excerpt from the piece speaks volumes "food was not comfort. Food was stress. That is what I realize now, in the mind of the little girl, long before the maturity of age could discern and reason, for the majority of the time, food brought me nothing but anguish."
    I'll sleep on this tonight and post the piece in its entirety ...

The bigger realization is I feel this commitment and contentment now with food, something that has been sorely lacking for a long time. Empowerment, strength, determination and the intense desire to gnaw on a good rib bone.

I got up this morning remembering salt pork bacon (or as we called it sow-belly bacon) .... most often it is used to season beans. It was also a lot cheaper than regular bacon when I was a kid. My parents would take a sizable chunk of salt pork, soak it in the frig overnight in water. In the morning, the slices were rinsed off, patted dry, then dredged lightly in flour before frying. The only way to describe it is succulent bliss .... so, this morning I adapted.
    I cut my no-nitrate bacon in two (fits in the pan easier) and lightly dusted the slices with coconut flour. It wasn't exactly like the sow-belly bacon, but it was awesome nonetheless !
    Two non-runny ruffled eggs on the side with a cup of tea. Yummmmmy
    Second meal - big salad of watercress, butter lettuce, onions, radishes, olives, avocado slices and ground meat.
    Dinner -cucumber in lemon juice and meat balls ! Yeah - and they came out great ! I grated zucchini, a little carrot, added minced onion, egg, a little bit of coconut flour and baked them. This meat ball thing is going to be a weekly meal I think !

On track with my meals today ....
    scrambled eggs with onions, mushrooms, celery, bacon
    sunflower sprouts, watercress, radish, avocado, olive with meat balls
    chicken, green beans, cucumber

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made a commitment to myself today, to taper off of my use of stevia. I like a little in my occasional cup of coffee (only 3 cups per week, so it's not a lot) and sometimes in my iced tea. I've never drank sweetened tea, but at some point I started adding in the stevia. It hasn't been huge amounts, but if I am going to be primal, then I am going to embrace as fully as possible and drink my tea clean.

I came across a package of stone ground cornmeal in the freezer today .... this is one thing I am truly going to miss. I grew up with fresh cornmeal. We shucked the dry corn ourselves, winnowing out the debris by pouring it from one wash tub to another. I loved the sound of the dry corn falling, when my Dad would pour, it would sound like rain falling. We took the clean corn to a mill a few hours away, one of a few remaining mills that stone ground the corn into a luscious meal.
    My earliest food memories - other than deer meat, are of cornmeal. More specifically, the hot water cornbread that I grew up on. Passed from one generation to the next, the simple recipe (and flour free at that !) was mixed in a big wood bowl, then pan fried in hot bacon grease. Hot or cold, it was absolute nirvana. This - I will miss.
    I've decided that perhaps once a year I will indulge one time and make hot water cornbread. It's a perhaps on that ... because I know I can deal without it, but it's that little something-something that I look forward to as a possibility. Not all would agree with this, but for me ... better than chocolate !

Upper body workout today.
    Meals went well today
    B - eggs, meatballs, blueberries (small handful)
    L - big romaine salad w/radishes, avocado, olives, spinach, watercress, and ground meat
    D - bacon, spaghetti squash with a drizzle of olive oil and organic lemon juice, lots of black pepper
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast