Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 2

Tiger is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Reading about your dad reminded me of my childhood. Growing up, until he got disabled, my dad would cook insanely copious amounts of meat on a barrel hibachi or in a smoker. Same thing with my grandfather before years of busting his ass off finally caught up with him a couple years ago.

I'm going to keep reading your journal, I love the way you write... er, type(?)

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Reading about your dad reminded me of my childhood. Growing up, until he got disabled, my dad would cook insanely copious amounts of meat on a barrel hibachi or in a smoker. Same thing with my grandfather before years of busting his ass off finally caught up with him a couple years ago.

I'm going to keep reading your journal, I love the way you write... er, type(?)
    Grinning ... thanks Tiger !
    I'll share a little story with ya then ... One morning my Dad and I had gone fishing, didn't catch anything, but as we were leaving a big armadillo ambled out, so I shot him in the head. Took him home and gutted it, removed the shell and then put the shell into an empty air filter box with the ends cut out. I wrapped the box with baling wire so the shell would dry with a slight curve to it and threw it up on a rack to dry. (BTW, it dried out beautifully, I put on a protective spray finish and it is still hanging on my wall ! )
    My Dad washed the meat and threw it on the pit. So later on that day, I took dinner over to my grandparents who lived next door to us. My grandma was paralyzed and confined to bed, so I took their meals over every day.
    I fixed her a nice plate of salad, beans and some of the BBQ armadilla and took it in to her with a big smile on my face, told her I had brought her some BBQ chicken. She was eating happily when I left and my Papaw was trying to control his laughter so he wouldn't give away my secret.
    She did find out about it later that evening (I think my sister ratted me out) and after she did a LOT of yelling at me, she refused to speak to me for well over a week .... especially after my comment "tastes just like chicken !" .... (it really does).

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    If you check out CrossFit, they usually post the WOD's they do and you can do them on your own. I workout with a guy on occassion that is studying to be a CrossFit trainer and OMG that shit is awesome! You truly feel amazing and sore at the same time.

I miss venison jerky.
    I'm going to start adding in some of the WO's ... this is cool !
    I need to make some jerky and clear out some of the meat in the freezer (get ready for upcoming season !) ....

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    Grinning ... thanks Tiger !
    I'll share a little story with ya then ... One morning my Dad and I had gone fishing, didn't catch anything, but as we were leaving a big armadillo ambled out, so I shot him in the head. Took him home and gutted it, removed the shell and then put the shell into an empty air filter box with the ends cut out. I wrapped the box with baling wire so the shell would dry with a slight curve to it and threw it up on a rack to dry. (BTW, it dried out beautifully, I put on a protective spray finish and it is still hanging on my wall ! )
    My Dad washed the meat and threw it on the pit. So later on that day, I took dinner over to my grandparents who lived next door to us. My grandma was paralyzed and confined to bed, so I took their meals over every day.
    I fixed her a nice plate of salad, beans and some of the BBQ armadilla and took it in to her with a big smile on my face, told her I had brought her some BBQ chicken. She was eating happily when I left and my Papaw was trying to control his laughter so he wouldn't give away my secret.
    She did find out about it later that evening (I think my sister ratted me out) and after she did a LOT of yelling at me, she refused to speak to me for well over a week .... especially after my comment "tastes just like chicken !" .... (it really does).
    That reminds me of an episode of No Reservations where Tony goes to Argentina or Chile and has a meal with an ex-pat family from the states and they grill an armadillo for part of the meal. He said that the meat "well, tasted like chicken." I think that's kind of funny lol.
    Georgette

Giggling ... I don't think I will ever forget my Grandma yelling at me as I ran down the hallway from her room .... she was sooo, soooo mad at me !
    The armadillo meat is actually white and has the same type of texture as chicken. Granted my Daddy tried to get me to eat rattlesnake by telling me it tasted like chicken, but that bird didn't fly !
    That man could BBQ some of the best 'Mountain Oysters' that I have ever eaten though !

Found out earlier today that my toe is definitely broken. I expected it to be taped and I would go on my merry way .... but my doctor decided that he wants me in a boot to reduce the pressure on the toes. He knows that I have continued to go to gym to lift, although I haven't done things like calf raises that increase the pressure on the front of the foot. Should be interesting to do my workouts with a boot on.

Awesome breakfast this morning ... bacon, 'ruffled' eggs with onions and mushrooms. I haven't fried an egg in years .... when I was growing up, my Dad and my maternal Grandmother were the only two people who could make a fried egg that I would eat. Fried with just enough bacon grease, to spoon the grease around the edges of the egg white until it was browned and ruffly looking, the yolk cooked past the run stage, but not hard. It was so good, I had forgotten just how good a fried egg could be. My dogs were damn near delirious smelling of the bacon and eggs .... LOL.
    Skipped lunch, breakfast was rich enough that I just wasn't hungry. Used some of the ground meat from last night for dinner tonight, along with onions, shrooms, celery, cabbage and a little grated carrot. Lovely bowl of yummy.

Despite the foot pain my body is feeling better daily, the more I embrace Primal, the happier I feel.

I've always wanted to try "mountain oysters". They look good and yes I know what they are lol. I wish my dad were still alive so he could help me get some tell me how to cook them. He grew up on a farm and they ate pretty much how you ate growing up. Mom refused to make them. The only offal she would cook was calf or chicken livers.

Sucks about your toe. The one nice thing about being primal is that you should heal faster.
    Georgette

Grins, yeah I've never seen Mountain Oysters in a grocery store that's for sure ! I'm guessing he got them from one of the local farmers/ranchers around here, most of them would butcher their own beef for their family and I do remember my Dad buying a side from one of his cousin's when he would butcher.
    I've never been able to handle the liver ... even the smell of it cooking makes my stomach roll !

I like liver, particularly chicken livers. OMG those things are soooooo good. I need to try breading it with coconut flour and cooking them in lard to see what happens.
    Georgette

Tiger is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    LMAO! Just read the armadillo story. That completely made my day. That sounds like something my dad would've done when he was a kid.

And all this talk about calf fries/mountain oysters and fried chicken livers is making me hungry again. Must... stop... reading...

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast