Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Feathers and Bones - Orannhawk's Journal page 17

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! Mom likes to sew, so that's where I get the "serious about costumes" from. We used to host a halloween party every year (country living- we were too far out to trick or treat) so there was always the question of "how will this work for the weather?" since the party was outside. One year for boyscout camp my sister's girl scout troop (that I was technically part of) was helping out. The theme was Mideval. So Mom and Dad were the queen and king, my sister and I were wenches, one brother was a jester, and the other was a peasant. Mom found the patterns and sewed them all for us. Most of them are in the dress-up clothes now, but I yoinked Mom's cape. It's red, floor-length, and has great movement. She thinks it's hilarious how much I like this cape- but it's hard to find a good one!

There are so many traditional clothes that I would love to wear- but (I don't know how to say this politely) I think I'm just too white. The only way to look more caucasian would be to be blond. I had a caucasian teacher in school who could and did wear those flowing African outfits- but I don't have her panache. I wish, though. The Indian outfits- the pants and loose tunics- are so beautiful and look so comfortable.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    That's awesome! Mom likes to sew, so that's where I get the "serious about costumes" from. We used to host a halloween party every year (country living- we were too far out to trick or treat) so there was always the question of "how will this work for the weather?" since the party was outside. One year for boyscout camp my sister's girl scout troop (that I was technically part of) was helping out. The theme was Mideval. So Mom and Dad were the queen and king, my sister and I were wenches, one brother was a jester, and the other was a peasant. Mom found the patterns and sewed them all for us. Most of them are in the dress-up clothes now, but I yoinked Mom's cape. It's red, floor-length, and has great movement. She thinks it's hilarious how much I like this cape- but it's hard to find a good one!

There are so many traditional clothes that I would love to wear- but (I don't know how to say this politely) I think I'm just too white. The only way to look more caucasian would be to be blond. I had a caucasian teacher in school who could and did wear those flowing African outfits- but I don't have her panache. I wish, though. The Indian outfits- the pants and loose tunics- are so beautiful and look so comfortable.
    I love capes too !
    Look into your ancestral traditions, you may find something there that you would love to wear !
    I did a medieval / gypsy thing one year ... I wanted it to look like the loose skirt, with the gathered peasant style top ... came out pretty cool, actually used an old flat sheet to make the skirt, then dyed it.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

LONG day, gone all day with my Mom to her doctor's appointment, then running errands that she needed to take care of. I had no clue that we would be gone so long, ended up grabbing a box of shrooms and a package of non-nitrate turkey when we were in Target and I ate that while I was driving and my Mom was eating her SAD Chick-Fil-A sandwich and fries.
    I've yet to understand why she loves those things .... sigh ....

Had a good workout this morning before I picked her up ... hack squat, seated calf raises, moved over to deadlifts, then kettlebells - single bell, squat, swing, catch with the other hand and repeat ... moved the weights up on everything. Felt pretty good, but then on the go for the rest of the day really hit me hard. Anesthesia after-effects. Beyond cooking, so I had a leftover chicken breast and a couple of eggs with onions.
    On to bed now to sleep ! Will be so glad when the anesthesia is out of my fracking system !

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Ugh. I feel for you with the anesthesia thing. On November 8 I am having a hysterectomy and i am not looking forward to the aftereffects. I do not play helpless female well and how the hell will I be able to keep myself from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds?!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Ugh. I feel for you with the anesthesia thing. On November 8 I am having a hysterectomy and i am not looking forward to the aftereffects. I do not play helpless female well and how the hell will I be able to keep myself from lifting anything heavier than ten pounds?!
    It truly sucks ... I did get back in the gym yesterday, and will be there in the morning too, but my workouts are just not the norm for at least a week. I'm just flat out tired, but when I go to bed, I'm waking up and not sleeping well. Ended up taking two advil last night (which I rarely do) and that knocked me out good.
    I looked at my training book yesterday to see what I am doing tomorrow and now I can't remember what the blooming thing said. That's a part of it that I hate, the brain fog.

I had a good friend who had a hysterectomy done a few years ago, she did great, but she said she put sticky notes everywhere to remind herself about not picking up anything over 10 lbs. I don't think they let her drive for a week or two either. That alone would make me crazy ! LOL

You will be in my thoughts on the 8th, with lots of good healing energy coming your way !

Strange day today ... the front is slow moving, and I think the barometric pressure is getting to me. My cell phone has been wonky all day, not sure what is up with that unless one of the towers is screwed up.

Started the day with some convict squats, then had my egg white shake. Headed to the grocery store and filled up the cart. Planned out some meals for the week, pulling recipes from both Primal cookbooks, Everyday Paleo and Paleo Solution. Made up some basic burger patties, cooked them in the leftover bacon grease after I fried bacon and sauteed mushrooms for the bacon/shroom dip. Had a small patty with the dip spread on it ... OMG, that stuff is amazing, but it is rich so a little bit goes a long way.
    I have to say though that my mayo-making skills need a LOT of help !

I'm still not on course with my meals yet ... one very small patty with bacon dip and 3 baby carrots over an hour ago and I am still full. Not sure what I may do about dinner, if I am hungry I still have a chicken boob in the frig, and burger patties, but right now the thought of another meal is just not where I want to go. It was this way the last surgery too ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    I love capes too !
    Look into your ancestral traditions, you may find something there that you would love to wear !
    I did a medieval / gypsy thing one year ... I wanted it to look like the loose skirt, with the gathered peasant style top ... came out pretty cool, actually used an old flat sheet to make the skirt, then dyed it.
    I love the gypsy look! I am currently wearing a Rennaissance bodice. Because they're letting us dress up for Halloween. I'm still trying to figure out 1- how to work bodices/coursets into daily wear and 2- what shape won't kill me since I sit all day. This one not laced as tightly as it should be is doing ok so far . . . The cape is, of course, part of the wench costume

Good luck with the healing. I wouldn't be surprised if your body is not too keen on food because it has better things to do with clearing the anethesia and doesn't want to be bothered to digest at the moment. I'm sure your appetite will pick up once you're feeling better to get the nutrients you'll need for the actual healing.

When I had my knee surgery, the nurses laughed at me because they'd never seen someone coming out of anesthsia with a smile. Well they hadn't seen the cool things the ceiling was doing before they knocked me the whole way out . . . But now that I think about it, I was pretty worthless for the next week. I'd just chalked that up to the painkillers and the fact that Mom was staying over to take care of me so I didn't have to be functional.

I love the gypsy look! I am currently wearing a Rennaissance bodice. Because they're letting us dress up for Halloween. I'm still trying to figure out 1- how to work bodices/coursets into daily wear and 2- what shape won't kill me since I sit all day. This one not laced as tightly as it should be is doing ok so far . . . The cape is, of course, part of the wench costume

Good luck with the healing. I wouldn't be surprised if your body is not too keen on food because it has better things to do with clearing the anethesia and doesn't want to be bothered to digest at the moment. I'm sure your appetite will pick up once you're feeling better to get the nutrients you'll need for the actual healing.

When I had my knee surgery, the nurses laughed at me because they'd never seen someone coming out of anesthsia with a smile. Well they hadn't seen the cool things the ceiling was doing before they knocked me the whole way out . . . But now that I think about it, I was pretty worthless for the next week. I'd just chalked that up to the painkillers and the fact that Mom was staying over to take care of me so I didn't have to be functional.
    Corsets for daily wear .... hmmmm... giggling, I'd be ripping that off within thirty minutes. I had a bf once who tried to talk me into wearing one for a party we were invited to. I told him if he could create a matching shoulder holster covered in black lace then it was a 'go' .... for some odd reason he didn't see the humor in that (we didn't date very long ! LOL ) .... Not a primal man for sure !!!

I bet the nurses were a little taken back with you waking up smiling ... yeah, ceilings do tend to have some interesting effects !
    The anesthesia takes maybe all of six to seven seconds on me and I am totally out. They gave me Vicodin after I had the gall bladder taken out, lowest dose they had. I still cut it in half, and slept for 6-7 hours. I just can't do that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    Corsets for daily wear .... hmmmm... giggling, I'd be ripping that off within thirty minutes. I had a bf once who tried to talk me into wearing one for a party we were invited to. I told him if he could create a matching shoulder holster covered in black lace then it was a 'go' .... for some odd reason he didn't see the humor in that (we didn't date very long ! LOL ) .... Not a primal man for sure !!!

I bet the nurses were a little taken back with you waking up smiling ... yeah, ceilings do tend to have some interesting effects !
    The anesthesia takes maybe all of six to seven seconds on me and I am totally out. They gave me Vicodin after I had the gall bladder taken out, lowest dose they had. I still cut it in half, and slept for 6-7 hours. I just can't do that stuff.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you. What was wrong with him? Lady-like and badass all in one beautiful package? He couldn't handle it? (My favorite part of Tomb Raider II was her riding side-saddle and shooting targets. I mean, how hot is that?)

They gave me something first so they could put a nerve-block on my leg. Apparently it needed to be numb from the time I woke up until the painkillers kicked in. I think that was what made the ceiling do fun things.

I have yet to try Vicoden. However, I will tell you that Codine and The Corpse Bride is a great combo!

Oh yeah- did you know that during the time of the Pilgrims coursets (stays, technically) were actually used like weight belts? There was the day-to-day one and the "good" one. The good one was tighter/stronger and was worn for dressing up and for really heavy labor. Who knew they had a practical use?
    Last edited by drssgchic; 10-28-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Oh yeah!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I knew there was a reason I liked you. What was wrong with him? Lady-like and badass all in one beautiful package? He couldn't handle it? (My favorite part of Tomb Raider II was her riding side-saddle and shooting targets. I mean, how hot is that?)

They gave me something first so they could put a nerve-block on my leg. Apparently it needed to be numb from the time I woke up until the painkillers kicked in. I think that was what made the ceiling do fun things.

I have yet to try Vicoden. However, I will tell you that Codine and The Corpse Bride is a great combo!

Oh yeah- did you know that during the time of the Pilgrims coursets (stays, technically) were actually used like weight belts? There was the day-to-day one and the "good" one. The good one was tighter/stronger and was worn for dressing up and for really heavy labor. Who knew they had a practical use?
    LOL .... I was thinking the same thing too ! Prim and proper never was in my vocabulary .... heeheee. I mean really ... black lace on a shoulder holster works pretty damn well in my opinion ! Or a nice blade tucked into a garter !
    Love that part in Tomb Raider. Giggling, codeine and the Corpse Bride ....

Never thought about the corsets being weight belts ! Granted the majority of my Ancestors are all Native, so the norm there was a good sized blade tucked into a 'belt' at the waist.

Page 17 of 72 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast