Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Crock Pot Recipes page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Now that ski season is here, the time has come to break out one of my favorite cooking devices: the crock pot. Nothing quite like throwing a few ingredients together in the morning and coming home to a hot meal after a day on the mountain.

So I thought I'd start a thread for primal crock pot recipes.

One of my favorites last year was to take a 2lb beef roast and cook it with sliced onions in about 3/4cup of red wine mixed with about 1 tsp of basil, 1 tsp of thyme, and 1 tsp of garlic powder (but you could use real garlic instead; I'm just lazy).

So, if any one has any other crock pot recipes to share, by all means, do

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Cabbage rolls! YUM!

10-12 cabbage leaves

1 pound ground beef

1 pound spicy pork sausage (or italian sausage)

1 large egg

Spices as you wish (I like thyme/fennel/oregano/salt/pepper/red pepper flakes)

2 tbs tomato paste mixed with 1/4 cup of water, or about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce ( I make my own and keep a bunch in the freezer)

-- Set large pot of water to boil. Blanch cabbage leaves for 5 minutes so they are soft and easy to roll. Sometimes they're a pain to peel off of the head, so I'll drop the whole head of cabbage into the boiling water for 5 minutes, which makes it much easier to deal with. The inner leaves may not get soft enough, however, and will have to go back in the boiling water for a few minutes once you get the outer leaves off. Peel 10-12 leaves off the head.

-- Mix meats, egg, and spices in a bowl

-- Form big-ish oblong meatballs, set one in a cabbage leaf, fold the leaf sides in, then roll up.

-- Pack the rolls in the crock pot as you go, my 4 quart crock pot holds about 14 max.

-- Put tomato paste/marinara sauce on top of the cabbage rolls, then set on low for 10 hours.

Best dinner and leftovers ever

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Grok had a crock pot? Primal electricity?

Just jammin'.....

hannahc is offline Senior Member

OTB...you and your antics.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Chuck roast with mole. I make it with mole, onions and tomatoes. Serve with mexican stuff... you know, lettuce, onions, avocado, cilantro, limes.... hehe.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

ha ha OTB!

Actually now that I think about it, I bet Grokette slow cooked and stewed and braised almost everything... less tending the food than roasting.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

unheatedgarage Guest

At first I read the headline as “Primal Coc…” oh, nevermind.

/these recipes, I wish to keep them for myself.

stevew is offline Member

I actually love doing curries in my crockpot. I'm a lazy cook so I just throw some stewing steak, carrots, onions, celery or any other leftover veg and add some curry spices (I've got a few different mixes from my travels for variety) and water.

Stew on low all day, add some cream and leave for a little while longer (I might add some spinach at this stage too and leave to wilt in) and eat when you're ready. Serve with cauliflower rice if desired

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, Grok probably cooked with a Grok-pot *fleeing before people start pelting me wth stones*

go_ginger_go Guest

I am about 18 hours into a 24-hour fast (it's getting rough over here, folks!), and my mouth is watering just seeing the ingredients of that stuffed cabbage recipe. That one's a keeper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast