Thread: Eggs Diablo page

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey this a great dish I saw on Molto Mario a while back. Basically it's poached eggs on top of a spicy tomato sauce and it goes something like this:

Saute an onion and 2 cloves garlic in olive oil until translucent. Throw as much hot pepper as you like. Add 1 28 oz can of crushed/whole tomatoes, preferably something quality like san marzano. Add a some basil fresh or dried and s&p. Let the sauce thicken for ~15 minutes. Finish the sauce with a tablespoon of butter. Crack 8-12 eggs on top and put a lid on and poach until soft boiled, 5-7 minutes. This part is hard to get exactly right. Optional: throw parmesan and fresh basil on top. Note: the tomatoes are really what make it, so get good ones!

My island/moroccan variation:

Saute the onion/garlic in coconut oil. Toss in a fresh habanero. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, salt really isnt necessary and any combination of these spices: cumin, paprika, coriander, fresh thyme, maybe fenugreek if your feeling adventurous. Of course butter is always a nice addition. This is a really nice take on a tomato sauce.

Enjoy!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Mmmmm always looking for new breakie ideas! Thanks!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Ohhh... I want to try this!

pk Guest

This is very very similar to an Israeli dish called Shakshuka. Here is my recipe for Shakshuka:

http://theprimaltribe.com/showthread.php/14-Shakshuka-Recipe

papaG - what did the restaurant call this dish, jw?

-pk

cfrontz is offline Junior Member

pk--good looking recipe there. Ever tried to throw any meat in there?

pk Guest

cfrontz - Id imagine browning some bacon with the garlic and onion would be awesome... but then again, it is an israeli dish - no Pig! haha. Ill try it though.

-pk

maba is offline Senior Member

Papa, your Moroccon version sounds similar to the Indian version. Only, I'd use boiled eggs instead of poaching them. Either of your versions wd taste great w/ Cauli-rice Pilaf, cauli+pinenuts+italian herbs for the italian version; cauli + cinnamon+raisins+mint. Thanks for sharing the recipe.