Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Food Groups CHALLENGE page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Primal Food Groups CHALLENGE

Shop Now
    We all know the general food groups that are extremely broad: Meat, Fish, Fowl, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts, Seeds.

I think there is more too it. Berries are way better than citrus fruits like bananas, pineapple and oranges. Leafy greens are better than other veggies for the most part.

Then there are fruits that we call veggies for good reason: tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumber, etc.

Then there are questionable foods that are unique: chocolate, dairy, alcohol, white rice, tubers, etc.

So, my challenge for you is to think of a standard food group list. Give it a try and then feel free to change it later as other people chime in. This is a challenge but also very valuable information.

Once I find a food group list that I like I am going to take that and describe my diet based on the different food groups.

Please include grains, legumes and junk food too.

Ready? Get set. Go!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    I think you need more sleep .............................

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    May you please elaborate?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    . . . Berries are way better than citrus fruits like bananas, pineapple and oranges. Leafy greens are better than other veggies for the most part. . .
    Don't mean to rain on your parade, but if you're looking for different food groups, you should still be accurate. Oranges are citrus fruits, as are lemons, limes, grapefruits, pomelos, tangerines and the like; bananas and pineapples are not citrus fruits.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about your entire premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    We all know the general food groups that are extremely broad: Meat, Fish, Fowl, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts, Seeds.
    Fish, fowl and eggs are extremely specific and are not food groups. Nuts and seeds are not distinct enough to be separate groups.

Leafy greens are better than other veggies for the most part.
    Says who? Mark emphasizes them and they are valuable. But all vegetables contain all sorts of valuable vitamins and minerals. Let the VLCers freak out about the carb content of other veggies if that's the problem.

Then there are questionable foods that are unique: chocolate, dairy, alcohol, white rice, tubers, etc.
    Chocolate (I assume you mean cacao) is a processed legume. Alcohol comes from processed grains. I would not consider anything processed as being worthy of its own food group, unless you want to call it "processed food." That would include dairy, I suppose, which is just as well because I was always mystified at it being its own food group. And white rice is a grain.

So, my challenge for you is to think of a standard food group list.
    Y'know, I'm not convinced that what we have is broken. I'm not sure why you want to try to fix it. Because some fruit might be higher in carbohydrate than others? Because certain fruits are deceptively unsweet like vegetables? Nature will always escape absolute classification, and that's a good thing, because it means you have to be intellectually involved and learn specifics and make decisions. It keeps your brain healthy to do that.

What you're proposing sounds to me like wanting a complete list of friends who are beneficial in your life. Well, Bob might be awesome, but on an off day, Bob can be an asshole! And Karen is great, as long as you don't talk about paleontology around her. In the same way, choosing the food you eat requires the same kind of care. White rice is a pretty chill dude as far as grains go. Other grains and legumes are probably all right for you if you sprout them. Hell, even broccoli and other crucifers are a waste to eat if you don't steam or cook them lightly in some way because our gut just can't break down the cellulose. So does that mean that Crucifers (raw) and Crucifers (cooked) should be two different food groups? What a headache.

And why include junk food? It is not food! Take out grains from the food groups and tell someone, "Eat those." If they eat just from those groups, some of each every day, they can have all the fruit they want. Really.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 05-28-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Organizing food in groups doesn't work.

Even if you narrowed it down to macronutrients, (carbs, fat, protein) there is still good and bad for each.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    I think you're reaching a bit too far on this one, PT.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

skookum is offline Senior Member
    My food is organized into the following groups - it's simply a functional arrangement, and I don't necessarily see any benefit to grouping my foods: Shoots, Roots, Fruits, Meats, Nuts, and Eggs. Generally, if it's not one of these, it's gonna get lumped into a Not-Food category. Doesn't mean I can't eat it, I just can't pretend it's nutritious food. FWIW, anything that an animal gives me without dying first, I consider to be in the Egg category - such as milk, cheese, or eggs. Things like Wine, Chocolate, supplements and the occasional rice or potato I consider Not-Foods.

I was really trying for some time to come up with categories that all rhymed in the Shoots/Roots/Fruits manner. I couldn't do it.

Risto is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be as harsh on you as others have been. I would just like to fathom you better. Could you explain your idea more? What exactly do you want to accomplish and how does it all work?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Hee hee good one moo. :giggle:
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast