Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Food Database page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Primal Food Database

Shop Now
    I just had a brilliant thought while enjoying a post workout big ass salad (it was awesome btw).

Its a thought that stemed from a thought I had a few months back and have somewhat acted on.

I believe the greatest way to determine the cost of the food is to figure out how much it costs per 100 calories. In general, we know about how many calories we consume on a daily basis - I would say at least most of us anyways.

I have been doing this for the past few months and have made some neat discoveries. Coconut products are some of the cheapest foods on Earth. Grass-Fed Butter is super cheap. Lamb tallow from US Wellness Meats is only a dime per 100 calories. Ground Beef is the best meat to buy since its not only less per lb. but it has more calories per lb. since it has more fat.

Bacon is cheap. Sausage is cheap. Eggs are one of the cheapest foods on Earth but also one of the most nutritious foods on Earth. Can I have some more bacon and eggs please?!

Greens are massively expensive but we only consume minimal calories of greens.

By doing this I have learned that if you are going to eat healthier than a SAD then primal is by far the cheapest. It really is. Its amazing but awesome. Its also the tastiest and most fun way to prepare and then eat.

HERE IS WHAT I STARTED AND WHAT I THINK IS A GENIUS IDEA:

Through Excel I started a database of all the foods I typically eat. I have the serving size, where I got it, the cost and the cost per 100 calories, etc.

I just had a thought of having a database of all the primal food around the world with these figures. I am not sure exactly how to start this but I do know that if I or someone else sets up a standard formula then a few people can do it in there city.

What are your thoughts on this so far? Good idea? Terrible idea? Do you have any recommendations? Do you know of a software or program that would be able to do this pretty easily? Would you want to help with the project?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Paleobird Guest
    Um, not everyone is trying to get the most calories for our buck. Some of us are trying to get the most nutrition. Different things.

A primal database where one could search by macros, calories, etc. would be helpful. I'm finding some of the calorie counting programs don't have the more exotic things like bison liver or elk meat in their databases. I have to run all over the net chasing down the info and then enter it manually. If we could invent the Primal version of SparkPeople, that would be cool.

Not everyone is but a lot of people are. And, yes, nutrition plays a huge role. I understand that spinach is loaded with nutrition so I am fine paying the big fee. You need very little to reap the benefits.

I would include the macronutrient information and then maybe include the top 5 micronutrients or something.

GOOD IDEA on the Sparkspeople.... Fabulous, genius idea!!

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    "By doing this I have learned that if you are going to eat healthier than a SAD then primal is by far the cheapest. It really is. Its amazing but awesome. Its also the tastiest and most fun way to prepare and then eat."

as opposed to what?

I am with Robin on this one. It is about nutrition not calories. Sure, I can keep my grocery bill down by feeding my kids ground beef every single night at 5.99 lb for grass fed but the reality is that for optimal nutrition we have fish a few times a week and at $14.99 lb that isn't exactly cheap considering they will eat twice as much fish but it isn't about the cost or calories AT ALL. It is about nourishing our bodies properly and with a wide range of veggies and meats.

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    "By doing this I have learned that if you are going to eat healthier than a SAD then primal is by far the cheapest. It really is. Its amazing but awesome. Its also the tastiest and most fun way to prepare and then eat."

as opposed to what?

I am with Robin on this one. It is about nutrition not calories. Sure, I can keep my grocery bill down by feeding my kids ground beef every single night at 5.99 lb for grass fed but the reality is that for optimal nutrition we have fish a few times a week and at $14.99 lb that isn't exactly cheap considering they will eat twice as much fish but it isn't about the cost or calories AT ALL. It is about nourishing our bodies properly and with a wide range of veggies and meats.
    Damn. I really wish I could have a meal with you and explain myself.

I am NOT saying to consume ground beef every night. Not a chance. I eat a large variety of foods. But I think it would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL to have something like this so familes who are on a tight budget can look at the database and decide what they can afford for their families at that time. Things change and they may be able to afford other foods down the road.

If one does not really have a food budget then they an go for the more expensive foods which in most cases probably have more nutrition.

Do you understand what I am saying? I am all about helping as many people as possible in this world. So I am constantly thinking of ways to accomplish this. I believe a food database with cost will do just that. And, it will help others discover other places to buy their food, restaurants, etc.

Do you now understand what I am trying to do here?

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Isn't there already a nutrition website with this data? why re-invent the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    Isn't there already a nutrition website with this data? why re-invent the wheel?
    I have never come across anything that has the cost included. If you are aware of something then please let me know.

The cost of food is different depending on where you live and the prices do change too. So this project would be a huge deal and a lot of people would have to work on it. I think having it focused on main cities, say 5 or so per state to start would be ideal.

I would love to be able to compare the cost of an avocado at the farmers market, D & W, Meijer, Foreign Market, Forest Hills Foods, etc. in my area- GR, MI.

It would make meal planning a breeze. Setting something up like this would take a lot of time and would require a lot of help. But, I think it can be done. I just need ideas and help.

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Prices are too volatile and where exactly would you get the nutrition/food data from? I doubt there are any data services so this means it would take community input.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I have never come across anything that has the cost included. If you are aware of something then please let me know.

The cost of food is different depending on where you live and the prices do change too. So this project would be a huge deal and a lot of people would have to work on it. I think having it focused on main cities, say 5 or so per state to start would be ideal.

I would love to be able to compare the cost of an avocado at the farmers market, D & W, Meijer, Foreign Market, Forest Hills Foods, etc. in my area- GR, MI.

It would make meal planning a breeze. Setting something up like this would take a lot of time and would require a lot of help. But, I think it can be done. I just need ideas and help.
    I get what you are saying now about price comparison but prices fluctuate etc. The SAD people would also like to have the info on who has the best prices on chips and soda weekly.

Many here (but not all) are into supporting their local organic farmers. This is a big deal to me. It is not that I have a money tree in my backyard it is a matter of priorities to me. I am very passionate about this. I care where my food comes from and how it is handled and raised so generally speaking the grocery stores down the street are out of the question for most things.

I had a discussion with a friend recently over how she cannot afford organic. She spends roughly $100 a week on groceries (not primal) for her and her husband. She gets at least one starbucks a day which is $5 after tip jar. That is $35 a week. Sometimes she gets two a day. Her husband generally has a Fri night bar tab of $100. See my point here? They can afford it but it isn't her priority, his either, so they don't.

I'm all for helping people stretch their dollars but the reality is that it must incorporate some shifting in priorities as well. No different really than getting people to try Primal because what it requires is a change in thinking.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I was trying to type a reply to the OP this morning when I tipped half a cup of coffee into my keyboard!

I think I get what you're getting at, but maybe a better approach would be to instead develop some primal menus taking the recommend macros and calorie counts into effect: something like, here's a weekly menu for someone doing 65% fat, 25% protein, 10% carbs (in perhaps 1500 calorie, 2000 calorie and 2500+ calorie levels) and in a couple of different price points, for example, one person $50 a week for food, one person $100 week for food, etc. Maybe even for a couple, or a family.

This would be a lot of work perhaps, but I think something like this might be what newbies, or people forced to do primal on a budget could be looking for.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast