Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my blood pressure so high? page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

Why is my blood pressure so high?

Primal Fuel
    136/93

I'm 38, 5'8", 154 lbs and have been low carb/primal for 6 months.
    I started near 170 lbs, and I know weigh less than I can ever remember.
    But why is my BP higher than it's ever been? It used to be around 124/80.
    -dennis

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    Could just be the day. Start tracking it and see if it correlates with any activity, food, stress. I had a Dr. visit the other day and mine was the lowest it has ever been at 124/75. I about fell off the table. Mine was 140/90 for many many years.

It's been like this the last few times I've been the doc, including today. And I'm never nervous.
    I've never owned my own machine though, only at the docs. But it's definitely been higher than it used to be.
    -dennis

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    You talked about the diet, but what about physical fitness and sleep? How are those two components?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    You talked about the diet, but what about physical fitness and sleep? How are those two components?
    +stress

Paleobird Guest
    Um, d2mini, I think there are some things which shouldn't be left up to the internet diagnosis team here. We are really good with skin rashes and menstrual cramps but there are some things that should be looked at by a real doc. Blood pressure is one of those.

I guess I'm wondering what causes it when diet is good.
    I've always been physically active, cycling or mtn biking 2-3 times a week or working out.
    Sleep is ok.
    Seems like the only thing that has changed lately is my diet. Which wasn't that bad before, just less fat and more carbs than what I eat now.
    -dennis

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    My HBP never responded that much to changes in my diet. Exercise made a difference. Working on my sleep made a difference. I thought I was getting enough rest until I tried the totally dark thing as recommended by Robb Wolf. Sleep improved significantly which had a positive impact on a number of health issues, including HBP. After a few days of sleeping in a not totally dark environment, I start to lose control. Of course this is all under the watchful eye of health care professionals who, while not totally on board with the Paleo thing, are supportive. They explain the test results and the risks, make their recommendations, and I make the decisions.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Substantially Lower Blood Pressure with 1 tsp Potassium Bicarbonate in water daily
    - University of California Research

Video, report + Q&A
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1283772

Grizz

d2mini, until you buy your own blood pressure monitor and start taking it yourself at home, I wouldn't make the assumption that it is high, regardless of what the doctor's monitor says. It may not be calibrated correctly. They might be using the wrong size cuff on you--yes, the cuff size does affect the reading. They may be supporting your arm at the wrong height or not supporting it at all. All these things affect the results.

Blood pressure monitors are easily obtainable and not very expensive.

BTW, that is the cutest dog ever
    Last edited by CaliforniaPoppy; 08-16-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast