Thread: Great recipe for Chicken Gizzards and Livers page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Great recipe for Chicken Gizzards and Livers

Shop Now
    Louisiana Dirty Rice is a fabulous way to use chicken livers and gizzards. I substitute cauliflower rice for the regular rice, or simply use the meat mix for a filling or topping. Last night we used it for stuffing zucchinis.

This recipe comes from Chef Frank Brigtsen, of Brigtsen's in New Orleans and it is fabulous:

BRIGTSEN'S LOUISIANA DIRTY RICE

Ingredients
    4 oz Ground beef; lean (or pork) (sausage would be good too)
    1/2 tsp Oregano; whole leaf
    1/2 c green Bell peppers; green; finely chopped (I used 3 colors of peppers)
    3 c Chicken Stock
    6 oz Chicken gizzards; ground*
    1/2 tsp Cumin
    1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper; ground
    1/2 tsp Garlic; minced
    1/4 tsp White pepper
    6 oz Chicken livers; ground*
    3/4 c Yellow onions; finely chopped
    1/2 c Eggplant; diced in 1/4" chunks
    2 1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 c Green onion tops; thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp Black pepper; freshly ground
    3 tbsp butter; or chicken fat (or bacon fat - my version)
    1 Lg Bay leaf
    1 1/2 c Raw rice; converted (primal version cauliflower rice)

* grind gizzards and livers in a food processor, do not worry if livers turn to mush. Next time I might try freezing the livers before chopping.

1. Heat a heavy duty saucepan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the fat, the gizzards and the ground beef or pork. Brown the meat thoroughly, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery and eggplant. Cook this mixture about 2 minutes
    3. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a metal spoon. (this procedure will intensify the taste of the final product).
    4. Add the ground chicken livers and stir. Add the remaining 2-1/2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
    5. Stir in the raw rice and cover the saucepan. Turn the heat to very low and cook for 17 minutes. 6. Uncover and stir in the sliced green onions.

NOTE: In Louisiana, dirty rice is traditionally served with any poultry dish, such as chicken, duck, turkey or quail. It is also a great side dish with roast pork.

From Chef Frank Brigtsen of Brigtsens, New Orleans, LA
    Last edited by Adrianag; 05-28-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    This sounds delish! Will be tryng this. Yesterday I made traditional Jewish chopped liver (even had schmaltz on hand), which we devoured on flax crackers and endive.
    (How's the back?)
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

(How's the back?)
    How nice of you to ask, I'm scheduled for hip replacement surgery at Baptist Hospital in Nashville next Thursday, June 2. Can't wait to have it behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    How nice of you to ask, I'm scheduled for hip replacement surgery at Baptist Hospital in Nashville next Thursday, June 2. Can't wait to have it behind me.
    I knew it was hip! Funny how the brain works. I hope you have the best results possible, and great therapy too. Is that hosptial affiliated with the Vanderbilt Medical School? You'll be dancing in a couple months.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I knew it was hip! Funny how the brain works. I hope you have the best results possible, and great therapy too. Is that hosptial affiliated with the Vanderbilt Medical School? You'll be dancing in a couple months.
    It is right next to the Vandy campus but is not the Vanderbilt Medical Center. It is, however, home to the Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance's huge orthopedic group. My doctor, Dr. William Kurtz is one of 8 surgeons in the country that does a super-minimally invasive hip replacement technique called SuperPath. They don't dislocate the hip during surgery and do not cut into the joint capsule so recovery is very quick and the end result is very stable. I hope to be recovered in less than a month vs. the 3 months of other methods. Cross fingers for me...

Sounds like you are good hands. All the best!!!