Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wicked leg cramps lately page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I have no idea what's going on, but I've had wicked leg cramps lately. I haven't really done anything different or unusual (I don't think.) Last night I woke up with a horrible cramp in my calf, and as I sit here I can feel how tight it is. It's like it's just waiting for me to fall asleep so it can cramp up.

I drink plenty of water and I stretch when I need to. Anybody have any idea what might be going on?

Miriam Guest

Try putting soap at the bottom of your bed, yes really and it works:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/old-wives-tales/

I get cramps in summer but since putting a bar of soap at my feet haven't had one. Also you might be low in magnesium so maybe get some more of that into you especially before you go to bed.

How interesting! I'm going to try this. I'm a big fan of old wive's tales and what-not.

Ok, gave it a try, and it actually worked! My calves are still tight, but I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp. I wonder why it works...

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

My boot camp instructor swears by having a banana after workouts to avoid cramps. Don't know the reason, but it seems to work.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

dragon: I don't know the science behind it, but apparently a lack of potassium can lead to cramps/charlie horses. That would explain the banana cure.

I used to eat a banana every morning before I hit the gym. I cut out the bananas when I decided to get more strict on my carbs. Bananas are pretty well known for potassium. Munching on one now to see if it'll help.

Shine is offline Member

Diana, as a displaced Rhode Island girl living in the middle of Texas, I just want to say that you made my morning by using the word "wicked."

That is all; I have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread. I have heard about eating bananas for cramps, though.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Yeah, bananas have lots of potassium and like Kryz said, I've heard that these are caused by lack of potassium. I had cramps a couple times last week but not too bad. Figured it was due to the sprints I had recently been doing.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Shine: haha, I'd have to agree, as a former Cape Codder and current Bostonian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast