Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I eat a wider range of vegetables? page

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member

Should I eat a wider range of vegetables?

This was just bugging me... I do try to eat veggies at every meal but the veggies I have the most taste for are celery, cucumber, carrots, and green beans. Every now and then I might have some spinach, but I'm not that crazy about it...

Should I try to eat a wider range of vegetables? I've only been doing primal for less than a week and I've felt quite good with what I've been eating. I'm just concerned I could be getting more nutrients by eating a wider variety of veggies. Any suggestions for someone who's not that keen on a whole lot of vegetables?

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables really aren't imperative to a healthy diet. Fatty meat provides you with almost all the nutrients you need. Just eat the veggies you enjoy and don't sweat it.

You might also try eating the vegetables that are in season...try some new stuff, save some money (cheaper when in season), and add a little variety to your diet.

Uhh... That's not the impression I got from reading MDA? I mean, eating meat is important but it seemed like vegetable were pretty important after that? I'm just trying to figure out what sorts of veggies I can try that won't make me go BLECH since I'm not a giant vegetable person.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables are important - Mark has vegetables and fruit at the base of his food pyramid. I suspect that he would recommend more vegies than fruit.

Why not try one pot dishes that have a number of vegies in with the meat. This is an easy way to eat many vegies. Onions and garlic should be there frequently
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sambo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryokumuji View Post
    Should I try to eat a wider range of vegetables?
    Well, you've got green and orange, now try and eat more red, yellow, purple, white, brown, etc! I read somewhere that variety of colour = variety of nutrients, or something like that.

There are so many tasty ways to eat vegies, roasted, stir fried, bbq'd, cooked in butter, steamed, raw, in salads, in sauces, in stews, or in pureed soups, blah blah blah. Maybe you can broaden your horizons, trawl the internet for recipes?

@ Peril - That's a good idea! I haven't been really using my crock pot too much lately, would give me a good reason to fill it on up. I actually somehow forgot... I really LOVE garlic and onions. XD

@ Sambo - Oh, that's a good idea too. I've read that eating different colors of fruits/veggies means you're getting lots of different types of nutrients and antioxidants. I do eat a lot of different colored fruits like blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, apples, oranges... But I feel like I should try to get in more veggies too.

I think my problem is I'm lazy and just want to eat all my veggies raw, like I can with fruits. My cooking experience is pretty... low... I was thinking of pulling out some of my frozen spinach and throwing it in my fry pan with some coconut oil. I think I have some frozen onions too.

I freeze a lot of my fruits/veggies because I live by myself and sometimes I just can't eat all that I buy in a reasonable amount of time.

Risto is offline Senior Member
    I think what would help you a lot is cutting and cooking your vegetables in bulk. That saves you time and hassle. When you've got a free afternoon or something, just take the time to chop a lot of veggies.

You don't have to increase your vegetable variety overnight, just try to add some new vegetables once in a while.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    I like eating my veggies raw, too. Lettuces and greens are in season here, so I've been making salads with different types of lettuce, chard, turnip and radish greens, and cabbage. I also add raw turnips, bok choy, and snap peas to my salads right now. I used to eat just a few types of vegetables as well, but have slowly expanded by trying one or two new things each week. Joining a CSA last year also helped - cheap, seasonal vegetables that I was forced to try. Plus, when you do cook your vegs, knowing you can add butter without feeling guilty really adds to their enjoyment .

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with eating packaged frozen veggies. I know local fresh is the best way to go, but frozen vegetables are very convenient and healthy too.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @ Risto - Maybe I should try adding new vegetables once a week on top of the others I already enjoy eating. Thank you for the suggestion! Sometimes I feel like I have to go "all or nothing" into things like this.

@ Tawny - Yes! That's the nice thing about the PB... I don't feel guilty adding butter or some extra oil to my vegetables like I would if I was on a low fat diet.

@ john_e_turner_ii - I've always heard that frozen veggies are actually more nutritious than ones you pick up in the produce aisle because as soon as they're picked, they're frozen and it's supposed to preserve most of the nutrients.... Outside of the whole convenient thing! At least there are benefits too.

Thanks everyone for the advice and reassuring words. Makes me feel better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast