Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 days in - and I have a question page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

3 days in - and I have a question

Shop Now
    Hi all, I'm a newb here, so I thought I'd ask your advice to see if anyone shared the same experience.

3 days ago I began eating a much more primal diet.

I cleaned out all the crap from my cupboards and bought instead: free range eggs, organic coconut oil, goat milk and cheese, organic butter. I bought a few fruit and veg - spinach, pumpkin, watermelon and pineapple. As well as some ribs, and some shellfish/prawns.

I cooked up the pork bones to make a broth, and have been eating that along with the fat that formed on top. Delicious!

However...

The weird thing is (or maybe it's a good thing, I'm not sure...) I'm just not damn hungry anymore! I've hardly eaten anything!

I haven't waken up in the morning ravenous!
    I haven't been grouchy (as I always, always, ALWAYS have before) from being hungry.
    And I constantly feel full - kinda bloated almost - but I'm going to the toilet regularly and so my digestion seems fine. It's just this weird dull, heavy, full feeling. I'm not sure if it feels good, or bad, because it's so different!

I know it's early days - and I'm transitioning - but did anyone else experience this. Or is a feeling of fullness a part of the diet? I'm just... I'm not entirely sure that I like feeling so 'heavy'.

Any thoughts?

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    You've probably got some energy stores tucked away behind your belt that your body will continue to use (good thing) for a while. During that time you're appetite will be all out of sync.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Ok, thanks for that... you're right about having some tucked away... LOL.

And the 'heavy full' feeling (feels almost like I'm bloated, but I'm not) is that 'usual'?

Silky is offline Senior Member
    It's called not being hungry! It's weird isn't it? I'm 4 weeks in and am just about used to not feeling hungry all the time.

Also when you do get hungry, it's not a crisis. It's a 'huh, I'm hungry. I'll have to eat sometime - maybe in an hour or two'
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    It took me about 7 or 8 days to start to feel "normal", but it's amazing how full you can feel and for how long.

I ate at about 9 last night, it's 1pm now and I'm not even thinking about food. I had a nut bar before the gym, but that's because I thought I should eat something not because I was hungry.

I'm not bloated at all, I just feel like when you've eaten a massive meal, totally normal. PB isn't about 3 square meals a day, if you're not hungry what's the point of eating?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    It's normal, it takes time. At some point you'll get ravenous sudden onset hunger too - you're just getting back to a healthy food / appetite relationship.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    It's normal, it takes time. At some point you'll get ravenous sudden onset hunger too - you're just getting back to a healthy food / appetite relationship.
    +1

Korga is offline Member
    Mmmm. I've been primal for almost 2 months now. I've had that total loss of appetite a few times. Other times ravenous hunger. I think it's just my body adjusting and me adjusting to properly fueling my diet consistently.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Primal for almost 3 months here. When I started I had the same issue with not feeling hungry - give it a week or so. Also the bathroom issue was pretty annoying the first month - much of it has to do with your body being in a state of ketosis (fat for fuel) which requires water. Your body is also flushing out the excess water that is associated with sugar/grain consumption.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    I have not been hungry in the way I used to get hungry (I want that muffin! I want ice cream!) since I started this a couple of months ago. And I have been eating considerably less in terms of calories. Food tastes good, but it does not make me get excited the way it used to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast