Thread: Feeling Sick? page

Rapunzel is offline Member

Feeling Sick?

Shop Now
    Okay, so briefly...I've been Primal/Paleo for 2 weeks now. Noticed a DRASTIC change in how I felt: a lot of energy (I've been working 50-60 hours these past few weeks due to a major project and haven't hit the usual 'wall' mid-way through the day), I feel stronger and healthier. In short, I feel REALLY good.

However, yesterday, the stress pretty much got to me, so I went out with a friend and got a burger (yes, totally aware of my emotional eating) and a beer at one of my favorite places. I figured it'd be 'okay' considering they are organic and only serve grass-fed beef ('okay' in the sense that I wasn't going to a place with golden arches...lol). However, no more than 20 minutes after the meal was over, the roof of my mouth became incredibly sore and raw (nevermind the peeling skin in portions) and I felt unbelievably sick. Today, I just feel HORRIBLE. Stomach upset, raw mouth. I've been sticking mostly to veggies and had some chicken stock that I made with bones/feet.

Obviously, food poisoning doesn't occur that quickly. But I've never been tested for wheat allergies. Has anyone ever had this happen when eating wheat after going primal? Is it an increased sensitivity? I don't know what to do, but now even looking at grain-products makes me cringe and gag (which, is probably a good thing!).

(Thank you advance for any advice/info)

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Such a rapid reaction would be like an allergy; might want to be tested. Most peple who go primal then have a SAD meal might feel nauseated, or uncomfortable, but the mouth reaction is definitely odd. See your doc.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't think you need to be tested for an allergy: just don't eat the grain again.

As to what to do now? Eat eggs. With butter. The rawer, the better. Your tummy will thank you for it. Ditch the veggies, esp if they are close to raw. They only make your tummy work harder to digest.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Thank you both!

The thought of even slightly raw eggs makes me gag (ironic considering I'll eat pretty much anything, and organ meats are my favorite), but I did have an omelet this morning (with avocado + butter) and that seems to have settled my stomach down. Not sure if it was the egg or the avocado, but I'm feeling much better.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    Today, I just feel HORRIBLE. Stomach upset, raw mouth. I've been sticking mostly to veggies and had some chicken stock that I made with bones/feet.

Obviously, food poisoning doesn't occur that quickly. But I've never been tested for wheat allergies. Has anyone ever had this happen when eating wheat after going primal? Is it an increased sensitivity? I don't know what to do, but now even looking at grain-products makes me cringe and gag (which, is probably a good thing!).

(Thank you advance for any advice/info)
    Yep. Wheat allergy for the win. I'd avoid anything made of grains containing gluten (and ideally all grains). I have had fast and long-lasting reactions to wheat products since I went Primal, too. Made me even more resolute about NOT eating them.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html