Thread: Some choices page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Some choices

Shop Now
    Well, today's workout marked 2 months of stronglifts 5x5 for me. I'll be weighing in on Monday and hopefully, going by my previous weight loss, I'll be around 255-256lbs. I plan on taking a break from lifting next week, seeing as I've been lifting 3x a week for 8 weeks now.

When I start back, I have a few choices, just can't seem to make up my mind as to which path I want to go down. I can continue with stronglift 5x5, although my sessions are hitting the 70 minute + mark. I can continue with stronglifts but lower it to 3x5. Finally, I can try a whole new program called HST.

Now from what I've read, with HST you will gain some strength but it plays more towards making muscles bigger. Programs like stronglifts and starting strength focus more on pure strength (as the names imply) then bigger muscles. Yes you will gain muscle size on stronglifts but (from what I've read anyway) not at the rate you would on HST.

I'm not looking to ever compete in a strongman, or a bodybuilding competition, I just want to look good (as I guess most people do lol). So I'm thinking HST might be more in line with my current goals. But on the other hand, maybe staying with stronglifts for another 2 months and building up a better base and strength might be better in the long run.

Squat: Start - 95 lbs / Now - 220lbs
    Bench Press: Start - 115lbs / Now - 180lbs
    Deadlift: Start - 115lbs / Now - 225lbs
    Overhead Press: Start - 55lbs / Now - 130lbs
    barbell Row: Start - 45lbs / Now - 110lbs

Thoughts?
    Height: 6'2
    Primal start date: April 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 300.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 226 lbs (1/16/2012)
    Goal weight: 205 lbs
    Total lost so far: 74.4 lbs

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Look like some great advances in your lifting, as well as weight loss. Eat well/primal, get enough sleep, and you will be doing a competition. You have youth, a ton of growth hormone, and strength all working in your favor for whatever goals you can envision for yourself. Figure out a plan, and go to it! You can always make a new plan if needed. Good luck.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    What is HST? Personally I would go for looking strong because I am strong, not because I trained my muscles to be big amd weak...

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Stick with strong lift two times a week and throw in hill springs and yoga once a week. More well rounded imo

@ Thor Falk, HST stands for hypertrophy-specific training. It's basically an 8 week program broken down into blocks of 2 week rep ranges. weeks 1-2 is 1-2 sets of 15 reps. Weeks 3-4 are 1-2 sets of 10 reps. Weeks 5-6 are 1-2 sets of 5 reps. Weeks 7-8 are also 1-2 sets of 5 reps, but you try to add 5-10 lbs more then before. Then you take a week break and start over, the goal being to lift more at each rep range then the previous cycle.

What you do to start is find out the max you can lift at each rep range, then start lower and slowly build up so at the end of the rep range block you are lifting your max for that range. Since each block is 2 weeks @ 3 workouts a week, that is 6 workouts at each rep range. For example: If your max bench press at 15 reps was 200lbs. You'd start at 175lbs and progress over the next workouts so that on the 6th and last workout for that rep range you are lifting your max. So if your bench press max @ 15 reps was 200lbs your progression would be 175,180,185,190,195,200.

More info can be found here: Hypertrophy-Specific Training : : Official Home of HST

@ Arthurb999, I do sprints once a week on Saturday. I also walk about an hour a day (broken up into a morning and evening walk). I might stick with stronglifts for another 8 weeks, but just lower it to 3x5, as some people on here suggested I do a couple weeks ago lol. Getting a little bit stronger will only help with HST if I decide to do it.

Hmm, guess something messed up with my reply. Anyway, @ thor falk, HST is a 8 week cycle broken down into 2 week rep ranges. Weeks 1-2 are 2 sets of 15 reps, weeks 3-4 are 2 sets of 10 reps, weeks 5-6 are 2 sets of 5 reps, and weeks 7-8 are 2 sets of 5 reps as well, but trying to lift a little more the previous block.

You find your max weight for each lift @ 15, 10, and 5 reps. Then for each block you start lighter then your max for that rep range and slowly build up to it over the course of 6 workouts (3x/week for 2 weeks). For example, if your max bench press @ 15 reps was 200lbs, you'd start at 175lbs and progress 5lbs each workout so that on the 6th and final workout day for that rep range you'd be lifting your max.

Then when the 8 week cycle is done, you take a week off and start over at the 15 rep range again. The goal being to be able to lift more at each rep range then the previous cycle.

@ Arthurb999, I'm considering sticking with stronglifts but just lowering the sets to 3 instead of 5. This would cut my workout time drastically. I sprint once a week up a slight hill. I also walk 45 minutes to an hour a day, usually split between a morning and evening walk.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff. Good to see your deadlift higher than your squat, too (which, from what I've always heard/read, is preferred).
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Why dont you try a cycle of HST and report back? What is interesting is that it works on strength endurance as well as on strenght. In the long run i personally would probably stick with a low-rep / high strength scheme nevertheless.

@ Thor Falk, yea I might just go ahead and try it, I mean whats the worst that could happen lol.