Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Consume 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up page 4

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I love Robb Wolf. I have listened to one podcast but am going to make an effort to listen to them every week starting next week.

Think about this for a second....

Let's say Grok eats 3 eggs with bacon cooked in bacon fat with a side of 1 cup of Blueberries. I would say this is a typical primal/paleo breakfast and I think at least 80% can agree with me. Let's say Grok takes 15 minutes to consume the entire meal.

Now lets take that food and add it to a blender. You will have yourself a smoothie. I have no idea how it would taste but thats not the point. Let's say this person sips on the smoothie and finishes it in 15 minutes.

Now, do you honestly think that the smoothie is going to effect your insulin more than the meal? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If you can prove me wrong then please do. I am in the middle of creating a Primal Smoothie Recipe eBook and if it truly is way worse than chewing food then maybe I will disregard it.

What do you think now?

P.S. This example is NOT a typical smoothie. But, I may try it... I am just illustrating an example. Most of my smoothies are going to be below 20 grams and still have over 300 calories. This is why I believe they will only have positive effects with very minor negative if any.
    Now, I am no expert, but I believe you could compare it to dissolving something in, say, water. Let's take salt in water. The smaller pieces of salt you have, the faster each is dissolved. The shake/smoothie would represent a finely ground piece of salt, and normal chewing more coarse salt.
    As I said, I don't know if it's legit, but it's the way I imagine the mechanism behind it is. Maybe it also has to do with the enzymes in you mouth as you chew. IDK

And maybe it's just me, but I don't take 15 minutes eating a meal...

avelin is offline Senior Member
    If your sense of taste peaks in the evening, doesn't this mean that it's a better time to eat?

Conversely, if you are a bit 'numb' in the morning, doesn't it make sense to fast then? (Or maybe visit the dentist lol)
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Toss some coconut oil, or any oil into your protein shake and you can get the protein and fat with little effort. My SO has this every morning.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Who said they're terrible? I know I only said it wasn't beneficial for fat loss.
    My fault. Really. I guess I could see where they may hinder fat loss. But, if they are high protein, high fat and very low carb then would you still think this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    Agreed. I don't think it was ever said that smoothies are bad for you, they just lead to an increased insulin response that would be detrimental to people really trying to lean down and drop their body fat %. I love a smoothie once in a while I just drink them with the understanding that it might be impeding my progress to get Brad Pitt's abs in Snatch. I can only find one paper that just barely mentions it but I'll keep trying to find something more on the topic.
    My bad. What do you think about the above question?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Who said they're terrible? I know I only said it wasn't beneficial for fat loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    Agreed. I don't think it was ever said that smoothies are bad for you, they just lead to an increased insulin response that would be detrimental to people really trying to lean down and drop their body fat %. I love a smoothie once in a while I just drink them with the understanding that it might be impeding my progress to get Brad Pitt's abs in Snatch. I can only find one paper that just barely mentions it but I'll keep trying to find something more on the topic.
    Now, I am no expert, but I believe you could compare it to dissolving something in, say, water. Let's take salt in water. The smaller pieces of salt you have, the faster each is dissolved. The shake/smoothie would represent a finely ground piece of salt, and normal chewing more coarse salt.
    As I said, I don't know if it's legit, but it's the way I imagine the mechanism behind it is. Maybe it also has to do with the enzymes in you mouth as you chew. IDK

And maybe it's just me, but I don't take 15 minutes eating a meal...
    It makes sense so I believe that is possible. I am excited to see what Robb Wolf says. I will have to shoot Mark an eMail too. I've never spoken to Robb but I have met Mark and we have been eMailing here and there for over a year.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

res3 is offline Junior Member
    I found this article to be quite interesting:

In a controlled intervention trial on lean subjects, Farshchi's team found that skipping breakfast decreased post-meal insulin sensitivity and increased LDL-cholesterol, despite a high (6-a-day) meal frequency [23]. This data points to the possibility that the body is "metabolically primed" to eat a meal soon after an overnight fast.

Concurring with the above results, noted protein researcher, Donald Layman, asserted in a recent review that the most critical meal of the day is breakfast after an overnight fast (24).

This is partially due to circadian protein synthesis rates being lowest at this time. He states that the anabolic impact of a meal lasts roughly 5–6 hours based on the rate of post-meal amino acid metabolism. Therefore, dietary protein should be provided at approximately five-hour intervals throughout the day.

This recommendation can be challenged by the fact that other studies show longer durations of plasma glucose and amino acid elevations caused by casein or a mixed meal (25, 26). However, the latter research didn’t measure the effect of exercise on plasma amino acid flux. In the final analysis, Layman’s suggestions are a safe bet without any major convenience impingements.

More here: An Objective Look at Intermittent Fasting, Part 1

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    @res If you look at the actual study then you will find pretty major flaws. When testing for the post-meal insulin levels they had both test groups ate the meal at 09:00 in the morning. The breakfast eating group had become accustomed to doing so at before 08:00 while the non-breakfast eating group had been having their first meal at before 11. What was measured was IMO basically the effect of eating a meal at an irregular time period, and the difference was greater for the non-breakfast eating group. The actual increase in blood glucose levels was also about 1/3 the size of the uncertainty of their measurements. Likewise for the LDL, which I'm under the impression is a bad correlator for heart disease etc anyways.

There was also a difference in the meal patterns other than when the groups had their first meal. The breakfast eating group started out every day eating cereal with 2% fat milk (truly relevant to primal eating btw ) and ate a chocolate cookie an hour later while the non-breakfast group started out every day with the cookie and ate the other stuff an hour later. I would guess what you break your overnight fast with can have an impact.
    The protein guy is just yadayada and under the belief that a steady flow of dietary amino acids is necessary. The every 5 hours is irrelevant for us as a high protein whole food meal is going to be releasing amino acids for maybe twice as long.

ellamyrona is offline Junior Member
    I'm not sure about 30 minutes. As i know this period can be even an hour, and of course, everyone shouldwhey protein powderadopt the own rule.
    Last edited by ellamyrona; 06-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.

easily...
    I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a breakfast eater when I was eating grains and more sugary stuff - if I didn't eat within a small window of waking up, I'd be nauseous and painfully hungry. Now I generally fast until lunch or dinner with no problem, and i generally find that my body doesn't need food in the morning at all. This is more or less the leangains style of IFing - how do you think that fits in with the protein as soon as you wake up thing? Martin claims (and some people have confirmed with their personal experience) that IFing is a great way to break through fat loss plateaus. I think that the protein morning breakfast thing doesn't work for everyone and there is no one right way to eat for fat loss.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234