Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consume 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up page 3

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    I can understand that some people would need breakfast and that IF does not work for them. Sometimes I even prefer breakfast myself and my stumach can tolerate mostly any food at any time.

But I generally take a long shower before I eat. After the shower I feel much more in touch of rather I'm hungry or not. If I'm hungry or I feel I can't make it back home before hunger strikes (eating at college or work sucks) I eat.

I see how high proteine would be prefered, heck, I prefer high proteine with every meal. But me taking the shower means my breakfast is about one hour after I wake up. I don't see how this could be hurtfull. I don't see Tim Ferris giving any explanation why it needs to be within 30 min except for his father's weight loss slowing down when he stopped doing it. And this can be for so many other reasons.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    If someone is trying something and its not working then they need to change. Change 1 or 2 things at a time. Maybe doing this would help them. Its all about experimenting on yourself.
    +1

It's all about figuring out what works best for you.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Saying a smoothie is insulin spiking is way to general of a statement.

What are you consuming the smoothie with? How long are you taking to drink it? Less than 1 minute or more than 10 minutes? What is in the smoothie? A lot of fat and protein and hardly any carbs or is it a traditional fruit heavy smoothie?

I am going to send Robb Wolf an eMail asking him about this. I disagree with your statement 110%. It can be true in certain cases but in my case its false.
    Thank you, I'll be waiting to hear what he replies. I will just advice you to listen to some of his podcasts.
    Book&Lean-Out Update Look towards the end.
    Last edited by Bissen; 05-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    I can understand that some people would need breakfast and that IF does not work for them. Sometimes I even prefer breakfast myself and my stumach can tolerate mostly any food at any time.

But I generally take a long shower before I eat. After the shower I feel much more in touch of rather I'm hungry or not. If I'm hungry or I feel I can't make it back home before hunger strikes (eating at college or work sucks) I eat.

I see how high proteine would be prefered, heck, I prefer high proteine with every meal. But me taking the shower means my breakfast is about one hour after I wake up. I don't see how this could be hurtfull. I don't see Tim Ferris giving any explanation why it needs to be within 30 min except for his father's weight loss slowing down when he stopped doing it. And this can be for so many other reasons.
    He said one hour is fine. And, even 1.5 or 2 hours is probably fine with him if you are 100% certain that you are not hungry.

Its just like Mark's Carb Pyramid. It says that 150 grams of carbs is insidious weight gain. This is for the typical person and is simply an average. I can eat 200 grams of carbs every day and I will not get fat.

Same thing with Tim's theory on protein within 30 minutes. For most people this is probably ideal. You have to remember that Tim is referring to people who are way overweight and have been eating a ton of carbs.

Intermittent Fasting is NOT AT ALL recommended for people on a SAD diet. You have to be fat adapted first. And Tim is talking to the SAD people. So protein within an hour, preferably 30 minutes is probably ideal.

Do you understand what I am saying here?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Thank you, I'll be waiting to hear what he replies. I will just advice you to listen to some of his podcasts.
    Book&Lean-Out Update Look towards the end.
    I love Robb Wolf. I have listened to one podcast but am going to make an effort to listen to them every week starting next week.

Think about this for a second....

Let's say Grok eats 3 eggs with bacon cooked in bacon fat with a side of 1 cup of Blueberries. I would say this is a typical primal/paleo breakfast and I think at least 80% can agree with me. Let's say Grok takes 15 minutes to consume the entire meal.

Now lets take that food and add it to a blender. You will have yourself a smoothie. I have no idea how it would taste but thats not the point. Let's say this person sips on the smoothie and finishes it in 15 minutes.

Now, do you honestly think that the smoothie is going to effect your insulin more than the meal? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT. If you can prove me wrong then please do. I am in the middle of creating a Primal Smoothie Recipe eBook and if it truly is way worse than chewing food then maybe I will disregard it.

What do you think now?

P.S. This example is NOT a typical smoothie. But, I may try it... I am just illustrating an example. Most of my smoothies are going to be below 20 grams and still have over 300 calories. This is why I believe they will only have positive effects with very minor negative if any.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    Foods that have have been more processed, like whizzed in a blender, are digested more quickly, so if the foods are going to raise blood sugar, they'll probably do so more quickly if consumed in a smoothie. However, a bacon & egg smoothy might not raise BS that much. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by me jane View Post
    Foods that have have been more processed, like whizzed in a blender, are digested more quickly, so if the foods are going to raise blood sugar, they'll probably do so more quickly if consumed in a smoothie. However, a bacon & egg smoothy might not raise BS that much. FWIW.
    I don't see how it could make much of a difference. Its nothing to worry about. If one does not want a smoothie then that is fine. But saying its terrible for you is not correct.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I don't see how it could make much of a difference. Its nothing to worry about. If one does not want a smoothie then that is fine. But saying its terrible for you is not correct.
    Who said they're terrible? I know I only said it wasn't beneficial for fat loss.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I don't really agree with needing to consume protein 30 mins to 1 hr after you wake up in the morning. But saying that it is just part of Tim's weight loss program. He mentioned when his dad introduced the morning protein shake his weight loss plateau ceased and he started losing again.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Who said they're terrible? I know I only said it wasn't beneficial for fat loss.
    Agreed. I don't think it was ever said that smoothies are bad for you, they just lead to an increased insulin response that would be detrimental to people really trying to lean down and drop their body fat %. I love a smoothie once in a while I just drink them with the understanding that it might be impeding my progress to get Brad Pitt's abs in Snatch. I can only find one paper that just barely mentions it but I'll keep trying to find something more on the topic.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast