Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post work out carbs? page

ega2081 Guest

First of all, I'm new to the website, so a brief intro...My name is Matt, I live in Maine, work as a police officer, and am into fitness and great food! I have began reading the book and adjusting my diet...but not completely primal yet....(hopefully soon)

Anyway, I have read threads on this but really have yet to come across a definitive answer. I am all set with my limiting of carbs throughout the day, however was wondering if a post work out "recovery" shake would count toward the suggested primal carb intake. The shake has 70grams of carbs.

Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

GotPrimal Guest

Your body does NOT need carbohydrates PWO for any purpose.

This is some conventional wisdom left over from the Body building side of the house.

The idea was that the body would be better able to absorb protein after a work out with an insulin spike.

Studies have shown that the insulin spike is not needed, and the research suggests the most important thing to do (if anything at all) is to try to intake protein approximately 30-60minutes after a weight routine.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I started a topic on this that reached to 6 pages...

What I got from it is that if you're training hard, you need the carbs, period. However, not immediately post work out, as that will damage your insulin. Contrary to common belief, it is not necessary to replenish your glycogen stores immediately after working out. Your shake should have only protein in it - that's enough to start recovery.

You should, though, have carbs before working out, as well as on "refuel" days. Some people chose to refuel on weekends - that is, eat lots of carbs during the weekend (enough to replenish your glycogen stores fully) and stay low-carb for the rest of the week. I have yet to try this method.

What I do is: on my lifting days I have 50 grams of carbs with breakfast, and another 50 later in the day. On my non-lifting days I will usually only have 50 grams. I find that it has been working very well, as opposed to super-low-carbs.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

GotPrimal Guest

Matt,

This is a heated subject here. With everyone&#39;s own perspective.

You will have to find out what works best for you in the end.

Some people respond well to situations like Raphael&#39;s above, and some people do just as well keeping everything low carb.

Some people believe in working out in a fasted state (no food 12 hours before) and have great work outs, and some insist on having a pre-workout snack 45-60mins before.

I highly recommend, if you want to get serious, to keep a log on your energy levels and experiment for as long as needed to get significant data.

Remember, PB is about functional fitness and being fit/healthy. No about stacking on the weight/muscles/power etc.

Vick is offline Senior Member

@Raphael Nice summary. A diabetic might not follow that, but a young adult, diabetic free, would probably do quite well. Mark suggests 100 to 150 grams as maintenance.

How many times are you lifting and how intense?

To add on to what GotPrimal said: if you want lots of mass, than you will definitely need more than 100 grams of carbs. I eat only enough to prevent gluconeogenesis - the process in which your body converts protein into glucose.

I also find that working out on an empty stomach promotes better lifting. I eat at least 3 hours prior to my training.

Vick, are you asking me that? If so: I&#39;ve just begin the StrongLifts 5X5 program - that is 3 times a week and as of now, not very intense; I&#39;m working on form and technique before moving on. I like to make things as hard as possible, but I figured I should take a step back and work on my posture first to prevent injury.

Vick is offline Senior Member

Sounds good. Just don&#39;t ask your muscles to heal faster than a cut or an open blister. It won&#39;t happen.

Nothing wrong with pushing your body a little, I have found. Yesterday I was a sore from the previous work-out, but I still trained. And guess what? That made the soreness go away. I expected to be in a lot pain today, but when I woke up, I was surprised to find myself feeling great.

I&#39;m still wondering about this subject. Some say your muscles should be given at least a week to fully recover; others say that working out again will promote recovery.

Anyways, ega2081 - tell us how often you lift and how intense it is.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

I think working out with depleted muscle glycogen can make for interesting adaptations. But I am just theorizing on that. I&#39;ve been weightlifting all this week on a zero carb diet and I will ingest carbs this weekend and see how I lift and whether I gained anything. I have noticed before that training doing pullups on zero carb made for increased pullups when I carb load compared to when I was injesting carbs everyday.

ega2081 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to have to track it I guess. I just assume not take the carbs post workout. I think keeping the carbs out of the mix goes along with "re-training your genes" to burn the stored fat for energy. Bare with me though, Im just getting started on this and its definitely alot of information to take in at once.

By the way, How do you get a picture in your avatar?

-Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast