Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many OUNCES of meat/protein a day? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

How many OUNCES of meat/protein a day?

Primal Fuel
    I have been reading how people say they ate 135 grams of protein etc. but how many OUNCES should a women eat a day? i measured my chicken and such out to 4 ounce individual servings. does it just depend on the type of meat? how many total ounces would a women need?
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    16 ounces = 1lb of meat = 454 grams of meat. Most meats come in at around 125g of protein per pound, roughly 25% of the weight. Some more, some less.

You can play with different meat sources on a tracker, I personally use FitDay but there are others, my sister-in-law uses Spark people. So to get that 135 grams of protein from chicken, they probably ate around a pound of meat, or slightly more, or four to five 4 ounce servings.

Edit: Forgot to add, the general rule of thumb is 0.7-1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, or roughly 2 grams per kilo of lean muscle mass. Take your weight, factor out the weight of body fat, and calculate from there.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    That depends on how many pounds of lean body mass she has. Not all women are built the same. 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass. From what I can tell, cooked meat has around 30g protein per 100g. 4oz is around 113g. So if, for the sake of making the arithmetic simple, we assume you have 100 lbs of lean body mass and want to eat 1g per pound, you'd need to eat roughly 333g of meat which is about 3 of your portions

The easiest way to figure it is to go metric all the way through and just convert to ounces at the end.

Protein goal * 3.33 = total grams of cooked meat needed. An ounce is about 28.3g.
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 05-27-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Karate Lisa is offline Senior Member
    Ounces?
    LOL
    I measure my daily protein intake by the pound =)
    "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    according to the guide above, i should be eating around 70-90 g of protein per day. honestly, i feel better when i eat around a pound of meat per day, but i'm also nursing so that likely affects my requirements (I'm 5'4" and 128lbs).

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    according to the guide above, i should be eating around 70-90 g of protein per day. honestly, i feel better when i eat around a pound of meat per day, but i'm also nursing so that likely affects my requirements (I'm 5'4" and 128lbs).
    Well 90g of protein would be 400g of total cooked meat which is 14 ounces. So that is almost a pound right there.

true. when i track (which i rarely do), i end up with around 130 g protein. i said around a lb of meat, but i also have yogurt, eggs, and cheese on occasion (and again rarely track so my 1 lb estimate is likely off). i've found that going down to 100g or less of protein makes me feel lazy.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Maybe, but the important thing is that you know your body and are listening to it. So I'd say you're doing things exactly right, wouldn't you?

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    thanks everyone, this is helpful!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast