Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many OUNCES of meat/protein a day? page 2

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    I have been reading how people say they ate 135 grams of protein etc. but how many OUNCES should a women eat a day? i measured my chicken and such out to 4 ounce individual servings. does it just depend on the type of meat? how many total ounces would a women need?
    Need? What protein is essentially needed for is body repair, and the amount necessary for that isn't that high.

Eating too much protein—as many people do when they get the "paleo" obsession—isn't likely to be a good thing. People living on an all-meat diet seem to have often been eating something like 80% of their calories as fat and 20% as protein (carbohydrate being negligible). Even all-meat doesn't necessarily mean that much protein. And too much can cause problems:

The Daily Lipid: Anyone Doing Paleo Without Liver, Bones, Skin, and Greens?

The Jaminets (The Perfect Diet) advise a macronutrient ratio of 65% fat, 15% protein, 20% carbs. That's not too far off what current hunter-gatherers eat with the figures adjusted somewhat to allow for the fact that in the past hunter-gatherers almost certainly ate more animal foods and less plant foods, since they hadn't been pushed into more marginal areas. It's also not too far off what human breast-milk is—again with the percentage of carbs dialled back a bit, since a baby would require more.

Something like 15 to 20 % of protein is probably about right.

How many ounces of meat that equates to depends. It's not only the composition of the meat—how much protein and how much fat on (and in) it—but what else you're eating. If you're eating other high-protein foods such as eggs, cheese, and nuts, you'd need less meat.

If you were eating the RDA in calorie for an average woman—around 2000 calories—you'd probably want to be eating something like 90 grams of protein. In terms of ounces of meat that's probably something like six to eight ounces a day—but I'm guessing here, and, as I say, it depends what else is in your diet. If you wanted an exact numerical handle on it, you'd have to plug your numbers into Fitday.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Since I joined a beef CSA I'm consuming a pound of meat (at least) almost every day. Especially now that summer is almost here and I can throw everything on the grill, it's just so convenient and tasty. I never get tired of meat. Some days will be lower in protein depending on how fatty the meat is and what not, but for the most part I'm always at or above 1 gram per pound.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    If you were eating the RDA in calorie for an average woman—around 2000 calories—you'd probably want to be eating something like 90 grams of protein. In terms of ounces of meat that's probably something like six to eight ounces a day—but I'm guessing here, and, as I say, it depends what else is in your diet. If you wanted an exact numerical handle on it, you'd have to plug your numbers into Fitday.
    To eat 90g of protein as meat, you'd need to eat more like 12 to 16oz of meat a day, double what you're thinking.

If you're guessing, you are better using FitDay or something similar to learn.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I used to do Body for Life by bill phillips which i always got good results so i like the rule of protein the size of my palm and carb/veggie the size of my fist for a meal. eating 5-6 meals a day. this is what works for me so maybe i will combine primal and body for life. i really don't like counting anything so i pretty much don't.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12