Thread: Face rash? help! page

positivity is offline Junior Member

Face rash? help!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone!
    So I just started going Primal on Monday and by Thursday I had developed a face rash. I'm worried that it might be because of my change in diet. Has anyone else ever experienced this? (If you were wondering, the rash does not look noticeable from afar but the bumps are really small and concentrated on my forhead, nose, cheeks, and chin. Almost my entire face, but more towards the center. My cheeks are rosy, but everywhere else still looks like more normal skin color). I'm not sure if it's from going primal or running outside in the heat.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? or can at least sympathize.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    it could be heat or a new skin product. i can sympathize, i had a strange rash on my face a few weeks ago. it was a high concentration of furiously itchy bumps in a small patch by my chin. i also broke out in cold sores on my lips. this lasted maybe 1 1/2 weeks before healing. i still have no clue what happened, but i think maybe it was contact dermatitis. no one else i knew (including my kids) had anything of the sort.

have you done anything differently lately? new stuff on your skin (even natural stuff like coconut oil)? spent more time in the sun than you have in years? new makeup? quit wearing makeup? if it comes back again, try keeping a food journal. you may be allergic to a specific food.

Saoirse! Thank you for your quick response. The only thing different about this week is that I've started following primal blueprint and hmm... maybe from being outside in the heat? but it's not like I've never been outside in the heat for long periods of time. In fact, I've been out for even longer then I did this week. It could very well be an allergy to a plant that I may have been too close to or something else in my neighborhood since I've been jogging around the neighborhood. I was reading that other people have received rashes from not eating grains or other carbs, except their rashes are usually other places then their face.

My plan is to apply cortisone to my face, take benedryll, and go back to my regular diet. When it clears up, I'm going to try going primal again to see if that was really the cause.

wait, so your plan is to start eating crap, put poison on your skin, and then consume more poison? how bad is this rash really? there may be a particular food that's causing the rash (or maybe it's just coincidence). i wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

No.... I'm going to follow my doctor's orders, go back to my normal diet (which doesn't mean it was ever poison), and see if this positively affects my rash. Then, when it goes away I'm going to try doing the primal blueprint again and see if I get a rash again. Then, I'll figure out if the primal blueprint was ever a cause.

Right now, I'm trying to avoid anything that could be the cause. I'm even trying to stay out of the sun, which is a killer because I just start my summer vacation and my birthday is on Sunday. So, it's not like I'm a quitter and resulting to poisoning myself, I'm just trying to take care of my body the best way I know how.

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    @saoirse - uv ray exposure is a common trigger for cold sores. might be related to what you had. learned that after my last ski trip/ consulting with merck manual.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    wait, so your plan is to start eating crap, put poison on your skin, and then consume more poison? how bad is this rash really? there may be a particular food that's causing the rash (or maybe it's just coincidence). i wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Agreed.

First off, whether you think so or not, your former diet was probably filled with toxins and it did not allow your body to throw off its waste (toxins) so it was all piling up in your body.

When you changed your diet to a Paleo diet, your body started to heal itself and throwing off those toxins. Your skin is a huge organ and one of the body's favorite ones to discharge toxins.

a rash is very likely. increased mucous, plugged ears, sinus issues...all are signs that your body is now trying to heal itself.

To go back to your former diet AND to put poison on your face is the worst thing you could do.

Taubes talks about this in his latest book... “It’s like telling smokers who are trying to quit that their withdrawal symptoms are caused by a ‘need for cigarettes’ and then suggesting they go back to smoking to solve the problem.”

Your body wants to fix itself, you got a little rash and you want to fall back in to the pit.....

i'm sorry that i came across as harsh, sometimes i lack the facilities to be more eloquent though i stand by the intent. i don't understand why going off a primal diet would be beneficial, but of course you'll do whatever you feel is best.

primaleaf- interesting, i did not know that.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-27-2011 at 09:40 PM.

I understand what both of you are saying. Have either of you gotten a rash right after starting the primal blueprint?

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by positivity View Post
    I understand what both of you are saying. Have either of you gotten a rash right after starting the primal blueprint?
    Not me...I began with a rash, of sorts.

And I learned that it was caused by an excess of carbs in my diet (among other things). As I stated, the traditional SAD is full of toxins. when you give your body a break, as I believe you did by going Primal (yes, even 2 days), and it started gladly detoxing.

The following is from the pgm i've been following for the past 14 months:

"How the Body Reacts to Poisons/Toxins

Poisons are defined as any substance that causes injury, illness or death of a living organism. Here's a list of the general symptoms of poisoning:

nausea
    vomiting
    diarrhoea (diarrhea)
    stomach pain
    drowsiness, dizziness or weakness
    fever and chills (shivering)
    loss of appetite
    headache or irritability
    difficulty swallowing
    producing more saliva than normal
    skin rash
    double or blurred vision
    seizures (fits)
    coma (in severe cases).

Do you see the similarity between poisoning symptoms to "so-called" die-off or Herxheimer Reactions? It was difficult to find general poison reactions since many references are for specific kinds of poisons like mercury, arsenic, carbon monoxide, rat poison, food poisoning, etc. However you don't have to look far to find poisoning symptoms which are described as "side-effects" of all drugs! Are you starting to get the picture of what is actually happening?

The University of Mains Farm Safety Program lists reactions to mild . . .poisoning:

Mild Poisoning - Headache, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, restlessness, perspiration, nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, loss of weight, thirst, moodiness, soreness in joints, skin irritation, eye irritation. "

While this article is referring to reactions to taking meds, it is also true for all the toxins allowed in to many diets.

By the way, my face rash has cleared by continuing to follow a paleo lifestyle: no dairy, grains, starch, fruit, sugar, nuts

<http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/heal2.php>

the incredible truth is that there is so much more going on at a cellular level than just what you see on the outside, your skin.

You literally ARE what you eat. If you continue to give your body the good building blocks of a paleo diet, then it will be able to build awesome cells which can block out toxins (not even allow them in!), while if you consume toxic foods (processed, etc.) AND/OR USE MEDS...then your body will build cells that are weak which not only allow toxins IN but aren't strong enough to shove them out...

ok. off my soap box. for now. :-)