Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Sensitivities and Addiction - Interesting Theory page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm listening to a podcast from Nora Gedgaudes (author of Primal Body Primal Mind) and in this episode she and a guest are discussing gluten sensitivity in detail.

Something really interesting they brought up was to pay attention to the foods you think you can't live without (grains, breads, dairy, etc). The reason, it's very possible that you have a sensitivity to those items.

Say what!?!?

After they discussed it a bit, I could see the reasoning. If our body is sensitive to a substance, endorphins are released to combat the substance and we can get hooked/addicted to that biochemical reaction.

It's definitely a different perspective from what I've heard before and something I'm going to pay more attention to.

What do you think?

maba is offline Senior Member

musajen, I took my mother to the naturopath today and learnt she's sensitive to wheat, almonds and peanuts. When I told the naturopath that wheat doesn't agree with me, he said I could have inherited her sensitivities. And when I told him how I'm addicted to almonds, he said the same thing, that sometimes our body craves the foods we're sensitive to. How very interesting that Nora G brought it up too! Must go listen to her podcast.

musajen is offline Junior Member

This episode is called "Living the Gluten Free Lifestyle" it's not the most recent, maybe two or three episodes old.

So interesting!

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Hmm, that's very interesting! Explained like that, it makes some sense!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I've read that as well & heard other herbalists talk about that. I think the food sensitivity-addiction was in both Dangerous Grains & The Gluten Connection. I've heard it from other herbalists as well. I'll have to check out Gedgaudes podcast. I've listened to some of them in the past & they're pretty good.

PapaG44 is offline Junior Member

Also detailed in "The Mood Cure" - excellent book for anyone who has ever had problems with depression, fatigue, foggy headed-ness, generally feeling sub-par. Highly recommend!

soror is offline Senior Member

Yep, anytime someone tells me that there is a food they cannot live without it sends up red flags for me- after spending way too much energy figuring out the intolerances of myself and my kiddos. Especially for gluten and dairy they are so addictive. The people usually in the strongest denial are the worse.

I have a friend who has been sick as a dog for 2.5 yrs, to the point that most of the time she cannot even function well enough to do basic activities. Walking down stairs is even too much. For nearly that entire time I have tried to convince her she is showing blaring signs of at least a gluten intolerance if not CD yet she kept on- now she finally had testing and she is highly reactive. The bad thing is because she ignored the primary intolerances she has done so much damage there are tons of other usually benign food that she is reacting to as well.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Definitely not a theory...food sensitivities are very real and almost everyone has at-least one. That's why there are people like Paul Chek who recommend rotation diets to minimize and identify sensitivity.

You can run a simple food sensitivity test too, and it runs not only foods, but spices, food colorings, and other additives.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I admit I know little to nothing about endorphins beyond how our body makes them during love and maybe a runner's high.

As a believer is Occam's Razor, maybe those "addictive" foods are so merely because of habit and we like them?

It's like my morning pot of coffee. When I sometimes can't have it, I suffer absolutely no ill effects that everyone says I should have. But my day just doesn't seem right w/o it. A nice habit.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

OTB, it's definitely a different feeling I get from "addictive" foods than habit/ritual foods, like coffee. I like my coffee, too, but I'm not driven to have it and sometimes don't. I'm often too lazy to stop by the Starbucks even when I drive right by it. However, when I was addicted to carbs I would go to great lengths to get or make something - usually make it. Spend 4 hours making bread or two hours making cookies (plus cleaning up, which I HATE) - no problem. Also no problem eating tons of whatever I made - and ya can't just eat one cookie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast