Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think Niacin is causing me some problems... page

gumbogirl is offline Member

I think Niacin is causing me some problems...

Primal Fuel
    My doctor put me on Niacin. I have been taking it a week, have been perfect with food, but no weight loss. I also am having problems with water retention. I think it's the Niacin. I'm stopping it for now to see if there's a change.

I don't think I need it anyway as long as I stay on this WOE. I've always had good lab numbers in the past when low carbing. Hopefully it works this time too!

Anyone else had any experience with Niacin?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    If you can slowly munch your way through this article about raising HDL from the Perfect Health Diet site, it will explain about what niacin does, and it offers some better ways to do the same thing. The Niacin section is about half-way down, but I'd suggest carefully reading (and maybe re-reading) the whole thing. It's something of a challenge, but the information in it is valuable, IMO.

Perfect Health Diet How to Raise HDL | Diet life

Thanks piano-doctor-lady. Yea it wasn't fun to read, but does have some good information. I was on the extended release kind, which can cause liver damage. Not cool.

Also, I read elsewhere that Niacin can raise blood sugar. It's supposed to lower triglycerides and raise HDL - how can it do that while also raising blood sugar? Does high blood sugar stop weight loss?? I guess I thought I knew more about this stuff than I do...

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    It is all over the news today that niacin is a flop.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Wow that's a coincidence! My intuition was right then. No more Niacin, just need to follow PB and I'm sure my numbers will improve. Thanks.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure why your doctor prescribed niacin for you; perhaps for weight loss?

I follow Bee Wilder's "Healing Naturally" program and she has us take 50mg of niacin daily. Read this article to find out why and the benefits of niacin:

<http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/niacin.php>

It does not have anything to do with weight loss, however...

Sorry I just saw your response it1958.

He prescribed it for high cholesterol and high triglycerides.

Since I stopped the Niacin I've lost 3 lbs in 3 days without changing anything and drinking wine over the holiday weekend. So I guess my intuition was right about it causing weight gain.

PB is working great! I just need to watch supplements because my doctor likes to sell them (he makes money). I agree with everything he tells me usually except for the supplement thing. But when I have bloodwork done again in 5 months I feel like they will be greatly improved due to my WOE, so he won't have a reason to recommend anything...lol!!

peril is offline Senior Member
    I was taking 3000mg of niacin (nicotinic acid) per day and had blood sugar lower than the normal range and no water retention. HDL and trigs were very good though. Stopped taking it because it can inhibit copper uptake, I didn't need my HDL to be as high as it was (125), and I got sick of all the tablets I was taking
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Pantethine (not pantothenic acid) helps both triglycerides and cholesterol ratios as well as fatty liver (which would lead me to believe it's beneficial for the liver). Plus, it's great for supporting your adrenal glands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast