Thread: Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert?

Shop Now
    I have some strawberry and rhubarb and am pining for a good dessert to make. My family traditionally makes strawberry rhubarb pie and recently my parents made a strawberry rhubarb custard that was excellent--but both recipes use flour and lots of sugar.

Any recommendations for a primal (ish) dessert using strawberry and rhubarb?

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but now I'm thinking of doing a strawberry rhubarb cheesecake!
    Last edited by jqbancroft; 05-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Having just tried Rivvin's angry bread for the first time (oh my goodness!!!) I'm thinking of trying a fruit dessert with the bread as the top. I'll cook the fruit first, then pour the bread batter over the top and nuke it. Tonight if I get my act together!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

keljl+2 is offline Junior Member
    Why not try a crumble using almond meal, flaked almonds, cinnamon and melted coconut oil. Just mix all of them together, put it as thick as you want on top of your strawberries and rhubarb and chuck in the oven at about 375 (I think that's about right - I'm an aussie and we don't use fahrenheit) until it's browned to your liking. Very easy and way too yummy!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Having just tried Rivvin's angry bread for the first time (oh my goodness!!!) I'm thinking of trying a fruit dessert with the bread as the top. I'll cook the fruit first, then pour the bread batter over the top and nuke it. Tonight if I get my act together!
    I made this yesterday...I put some frozen raspberries in a bowl, nuked them for a minute to thaw. Then added about half a portion of Rivvin's angry bread. It was really delicious with a couple of teaspoons of whole fat yogurt. The only odd thing was that where the raspberries touched the bread, they went GREEN!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Here's my recent recipe, but if you use strawberries, replace one cup rhubarb with a cup of berries. You may want more sweet than I use, but this was great with heaps of plain whipped cream.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30665.html
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the ideas! I ended up doing kind of a fruit crisp to go along with primal ice cream. Yummy! For the crisp, I just chopped the fruit and doused it with some cinnamon. For the crisp topping, I combined a cup of roughly chopped nuts/ nut flour with half a stick of melted butter and lots of cinnamon. I placed the topping in globs on top of the fruit and spread it around, and baked it in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes. It was AWESOME! I didn't even miss the sugar

Digby is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sounds yummy. You've got the primal knack for cooking.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism