Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble letting go of CW page 3

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'd say you have a misplaced trust in authority figures, and your own health is counter-evidence. I just got back very high cholesterol #s from my doc, but because of my overall improved health, good trigs, HDL and CRP, he (a CW cardiologist, 50 lb overweight at least) TOOK BACK his former recommendation that I take Crestor. My #s are in my journal. So it's not everyone giving monolithic advice - there is all kinds of advice, you just choose who to listen to.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I trust Me.

All others are subject to scrutiny.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Raen is offline Member
    I completely get what you're saying here, and I struggle with it, too. Have you read "Good Calories, Bad Calories"? If not, you should pick it up, it will make the established wisdom and how it came about, and the actual evidence much more clear. It really isn't a conspiracy theory, even though it seems like it sometimes reading this and other boards. I believe that most of the people who have bought into the conventional wisdom have their hearts in the right place, it's just the history of the CW mistake is so ingrained, that it's hard to think outside of that particular box. They can't even see the box, because the truth of it is so much a part of their worldview. Seriously, GCBC. It's a long, somewhat tedious read, but it will make sense of the thing.

I've never had my cholesterol tested, but ultimately, it's just SO obvious that this way of living is benefiting me, that I can't argue with it. And we're sort of the generation 1 testers of this lifestyle, it will be fascinating to see how we're all faring 20-50 years from now, won't it? I'm going to stick with it, I truly believe that. I hope you do, too, I'd love to see your test numbers in a year. I'd bet they go down a lot.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I'd say you have a misplaced trust in authority figures, and your own health is counter-evidence. I just got back very high cholesterol #s from my doc, but because of my overall improved health, good trigs, HDL and CRP, he (a CW cardiologist, 50 lb overweight at least) TOOK BACK his former recommendation that I take Crestor. My #s are in my journal. So it's not everyone giving monolithic advice - there is all kinds of advice, you just choose who to listen to.
    You misunderstand me.

I follow the Primal Blueprint as cloesly as I can. I have accepted that for me, and my individual condition it is the most healthy alternative for me.

In this regard, I have turned my back on those authority figures that you claim I trust.

However, I do not shut the door on the evidence that comes from sources with very very reliable credentials. There may come a time in my life where evaulating my cholestorol from their perspective makes sense... But not now.

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Then read your history. Galileo went to bat with "institutions with such well established credentials" and lost. In the end, he was found to be correct, but not in his lifetime. Same story around nutrition--and you can find it repeated over and over again in the history of science.
    OK... shall I cite examples where people came up with controversial theories and were WRONG? Even though history is written to celebrate those who go against conventional wisdom, I can promise you I can go toe for toe citing two Reverand Harold Campings (predicted the end of the world this year) for every one of your Galileo's.

L8Bloomer is offline Junior Member
    I really do get where you are coming from, and I appreciate you having an open mind in both directions. I was trained in the health sciences (have a doctorate in pharmacology) and I know that the limitations of published studies pale in comparison to the network of misinterpretations that follow when such a study is "newsworthy". I always go and read the source when I hear someone in the media discussing the conclusions from "a recent published study". I don't buy conspiracy theories, though I am aware of the power of marketing and how that, plus political lobbying, can really mask the Truth from the general populace. So keep these things in mind when you are feeling pressured by CW. Pick up a few studies from your local biomedical library (I assume you have access as a nurse?) and read the original papers. Decide for yourself if the data supports the conclusions, and ask yourself if the findings are consistent with what they've subsequently been reported to be.

As for me, I started "doing things differently" when I became pregnant with my first child. From birthing to infant care to how my kids are educated (they are unschooled) I have immersed myself in the research and discovered the many false assumptions that underlie so much of CW. And yet, even after all this I still find myself having brief, momentary panic attacks about how much saturated fat I've eaten that day. I think this is normal: cultural "stories" (the assumptions we all take for granted as True b/c we've heard them since babies, and yet which can vary widely from one culture to the next) are very hard to shake. I'd give yourself permission to have doubting moments, it's normal!

L8Blommer, I agree with everything you've said here. You have to look at who FUNDED the study as well as the study itself.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRNChad View Post
    So I have been following the Primal lifestyle for over a year now. Diet is pretty well dialed in, I actively CrossFit 3-4 days a week, my stress management is good, life is pretty well in hand. My issue is this: I had my bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago and my cholesterol came back sky high. My total and LDL's are through the roof, HDL's are great (65). Triglycerides are fine, Blood glucose is fine, and I didn't have the test that identifies whether my LDL particles are small or large. I am aware of the research out there that points to high cholesterol possibly being cardio-protective. However, I am a nurse and CW, all my training, and all the people I currently work with, points to me dying in a matter of years from clogged arteries and an oxygen starved heart! I guess I just need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I look forward to all your help! Thanks in advance.
    Have you read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes? He points out that the 2 most critical numbers to look at when it comes to heart disease is HDL and Triglycerides. Both of those improved for you.

Saturated fat does in fact raise LDL. But Gary points out that not all LDL is the same...

And people with too low cholesterol are at a higher risk of heart disease compared with people who have too high cholesterol.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    AND your brain needs cholesterol. Your body is going to make it anyway, so eat up.

The older you get the higher you want your cholesterol to be. It's a good thing for brain health.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I am a physician assistant student. I just finished my ob/gyn rotation. The doc I was working with did the VAP tests for the annual physicals. I was impressed. There were people with total cholesterols over 250, but with great VAP numbers. He said, "Don't worry about it." Then there were panels that would have looked ideal on the standard four-part lipid profile (total, LDL, HDL, trigs). However, their VAPs were quite bad. And he kept telling these people, "Half of the people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol." I have read that somewhere too. He encouraged these people to lower their carbs and increase their exercise before resorting to statins. In fact, I think I only saw 10 of his patients on statin drugs. That was pretty remarkable in the state of healthcare.

That said, I understand the "pull" of CW. I am there too.

I think you really need your VAP test done. It will show you what you need to know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast