Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally new here... have some questions page

PrimalHockey is offline Junior Member

Question Totally new here... have some questions

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone...

Im new here to both the forum AND to the dailyapple... and i have some questions...

it seems to me that this primal way of eating is not only ridiculously basic, but probably easy to follow... i look at it like this... eat the same stuff a caveman would... meaning... meat, fruit, veggies, nuts and basically water

so, nothing in a box, nothing in cellophane, and nothing that comes to your car after you talk into a clowns mouth to ask for it... is this pretty accurate?

couple of things i need to know about though... and before ii ask, i ll give you some personal information first

43 yoa, 5-11, 200 lbs... maybe a 32" waist

i consider myself pretty active for 43, although my job requires me to sit at my desk all day

i play hockey (2nd season EVER) and i also do the (no rolling of the eyes please) insanity program, PURELY in an effort to increase my cardiac endurance so i can keep up with the 20-somethings that i play with/against..

i have never struggled with my weight actually... i have been heavier, but that was because of poor habits and drinking a LOT of beer in my younger days... and cleaning off my kids plates when they were little

i have done P90X and it worked to some degree, but became boring with the regimented schedule and i always felt GUILTY if i missed a workout... i understand the importance of exercise... honestly, i do, but i prefer to exercise the way *I* want to... playing hockey, chasing my wife around the house, or playing with my dogs... not living by the countdown stopwatch

here are my questions:

am i correct in my understanding mentioned above about the simplicity of this program?

i wish to become/remain competitive on the rink, so ENERGY/STAMINA is CRUCIAL, will PF help?

my mom, who is sedentary as HELL, has diabetes (T2) and i am curious if this may help her get off of some of the pills/meds she has to take?

also, my wife, who HAS heard of this (or similar programs) used to be a total good eater... not a militant, mind you, but a good wholesome eater... now she has developed parts of her body that she considers... jiggly... and she doesnt like them... will this help her?

we dont NEED instantaneous results, but increased energy and some VISUAL evidence would be VERY cool...

how hard is it to get started?

do we need to have a pantry intervention where we ceremoniously discard all of the evil processed foods in front of the tribal leaders?

and lastly, i have read some of the other threads here and some people seem to be getting hung up on carbs and calories and carb re-feeding (whatever the hell THAT is) and a bunch of other pseudo-scientific stuff, that, i would guess, Grok would have no idea OR interest in... are they making it just too damn complicated?

all we want to do is eat right, feel better, be in shape (mentally and physically), be strong and maybe NOT be so self concious about donning a loin cloth behind closed doors and KNOWING that we look good naked...

so, any insight you may have will be greatly appreciated... and maybe explain it to me like i m 4 so i can relay it to my wife who is SO much smarter about this stuff than *I* am...

thanks!

PH

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHockey View Post
    Hi everyone...

Im new here to both the forum AND to the dailyapple... and i have some questions...

it seems to me that this primal way of eating is not only ridiculously basic, but probably easy to follow... i look at it like this... eat the same stuff a caveman would... meaning... meat, fruit, veggies, nuts and basically water

so, nothing in a box, nothing in cellophane, and nothing that comes to your car after you talk into a clowns mouth to ask for it... is this pretty accurate?

couple of things i need to know about though... and before ii ask, i ll give you some personal information first

43 yoa, 5-11, 200 lbs... maybe a 32" waist

i consider myself pretty active for 43, although my job requires me to sit at my desk all day

i play hockey (2nd season EVER) and i also do the (no rolling of the eyes please) insanity program, PURELY in an effort to increase my cardiac endurance so i can keep up with the 20-somethings that i play with/against..

i have never struggled with my weight actually... i have been heavier, but that was because of poor habits and drinking a LOT of beer in my younger days... and cleaning off my kids plates when they were little

i have done P90X and it worked to some degree, but became boring with the regimented schedule and i always felt GUILTY if i missed a workout... i understand the importance of exercise... honestly, i do, but i prefer to exercise the way *I* want to... playing hockey, chasing my wife around the house, or playing with my dogs... not living by the countdown stopwatch

here are my questions:

am i correct in my understanding mentioned above about the simplicity of this program?

i wish to become/remain competitive on the rink, so ENERGY/STAMINA is CRUCIAL, will PF help?

my mom, who is sedentary as HELL, has diabetes (T2) and i am curious if this may help her get off of some of the pills/meds she has to take?

also, my wife, who HAS heard of this (or similar programs) used to be a total good eater... not a militant, mind you, but a good wholesome eater... now she has developed parts of her body that she considers... jiggly... and she doesnt like them... will this help her?

we dont NEED instantaneous results, but increased energy and some VISUAL evidence would be VERY cool...

how hard is it to get started?

do we need to have a pantry intervention where we ceremoniously discard all of the evil processed foods in front of the tribal leaders?

and lastly, i have read some of the other threads here and some people seem to be getting hung up on carbs and calories and carb re-feeding (whatever the hell THAT is) and a bunch of other pseudo-scientific stuff, that, i would guess, Grok would have no idea OR interest in... are they making it just too damn complicated?

all we want to do is eat right, feel better, be in shape (mentally and physically), be strong and maybe NOT be so self concious about donning a loin cloth behind closed doors and KNOWING that we look good naked...

so, any insight you may have will be greatly appreciated... and maybe explain it to me like i m 4 so i can relay it to my wife who is SO much smarter about this stuff than *I* am...

thanks!

PH
    Welcome!

It doesn't have to be that simple. And go easy on the fruit and nuts. "Grok" didn't eat that many of either. And you can eat lots of foods that come in boxes and cellophane. But, no, nothing from clowns.

Start primal when you do not have energy/stamina demands for at least a week or two. You might want to consider the Archevore diet to start, including potatoes and white rice. (But keep coming to MDA for information. And I would recommend more vegetables than Archevore suggests.)

Yes, primal can help with diabetes.

Yes, primal can reduce the jiggles.

Some people throw out all non-primal foods, some don't. I didn't. But you do want to get rid of sugar, junk food, wheat, and all vegetable oils except olive and coconut.

Good luck with primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks Hedonist...

we re hoping that getting started will be easier than what we think... we already eat PRETTY good, but theres still junk in the house the we need to weed out... and getting mom to do it will be a bitch... shes NOT a vegetable eater...

as far as shopping goes, would kroger/publix/wal-mart be ok? we have a trader joes and several harrys (whole foods) and farmers markets in the area... but theyre pretty proud of their stuff and some of it (produce) doesnt seem to be as pretty and fresh as we like (at TJs anyway)...

i m sure i ll be back here with LOTS of questions... thanks for your input

PH

Marcelo is offline Junior Member
    Getting started is the toughest part. When you go through it. Every thing seems clear in you mind and in your path too.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Your local megamart is fine.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I found getting started to be ridiculously simple. And gratifying. Not to say it's that way for everybody, but it felt 'right' to me.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Definitely keep it simple at first, and don't rely on the forums as your guide. The forums are filled with 1) people who have specific health issues 2) people who really enjoy learning about this stuff as a hobby 3) people with extreme fitness goals and 4) nutbags.

Just use the links in my sig below, and buy Mark's damn book. No need for food-ditching ceremonies, loincloths, or the like. And yes, it works like a charm, it's kind of amazing, but you have to give it a few weeks. And fruit and nuts are not "core" foods, they are occasional snacks. Think about a protein source - meat, eggs - and a pile of seasonal veggies as the basis for every meal. Welcome!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

most excellent friends... thanks for the advice and the willingness to help

i ll read the threads and such and i am also going to order marks book... my goals are pretty simple... be in shape, lose weight, look GREAT naked, and score goals!

thanks again, i ll be in touch...

and tfarny, the loincloth is for FUN around the house

OK what about condiments?... texas pete, worcestershire, soy sauce (in moderation)... i havent seen anything about that in here...

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Some people make their own primal versions of their favourite condiments. Others *ahem* can't be bothered and use the bottled stuff but count it as part of their 20% leeway - often choosing to be 'stricter' elsewhere.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast