Thread: Nutritional data for thai food page

phixx is offline Junior Member

Cool Nutritional data for thai food

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

We have move to Thailand for a few months, so most of my meals come from various Thai restaurants (at least twice a day).

I would like to check things in Fit Day, but where can I find nutritional data for restaurant thai food? I have found some data, but they all include rice which I don't eat (paleo with a weekly cheat day)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mads

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phixx View Post
    I would like to check things in Fit Day, but where can I find nutritional data for restaurant thai food?
    If Fitday did offer that the data would be totally unreliable. How could they know what any particular restaurant was putting in any particular dish?

I'd suggest that if you eat out on day X, whatever that may be, there's no particular point crunching numbers for that particular day.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I
    I'd suggest that if you eat out on day X, whatever that may be, there's no particular point crunching numbers for that particular day.
    One of the primary reasons I don't track is that tracking restaurant food can often be a pain in the ass and woefully inaccurate anyway. Plus, I'm trying really hard not to obsess about numbers in general, but instead to listen to my body when it says I've had the right amount of food.

To the OP - the best you might be able to do is guesstimate the various ingredients and put those in individually. So if you're having a curry you could say 1 c coconut milk, 4 oz chicken, 2 oz vegetable a, 2 oz vegetable b, etc. But even that's going to be tough since you're going to have to try to guess quantities from a dish that's already prepared (easier if it's just meat with veggies on the side, somewhat more difficult if it's all mixed up like in a curry).
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Yeah there is no way you're going to get anything close to accurate nutritional data. I hope you have some opportunity to cook your own food.
    The great thing is that Thai food can be VERY primal! Authentic Thai food is very healthy. Have you considered giving up control over your diet and just trying to eat generally healthy for the few months you are there?
    PS: Better to be eating rice than to take a weekly "cheat day". Why bother tracking if you're going to cheat once a week?

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    I also live in Thailand, and have done for many years. If you're new to the food, you may want to be aware that Thai's usually cook with LOTS of MSG, lot's of refined salt and LOTS of sugar. It's not quite as healthy as people might imagine!

If you want no MSG you have to ask for 'mey ow pomshulot' (not want MSG) and also, 'mey ow roddies' kind of roll the 'r' on that one... ( not want stock cube) which also comes full of MSG. Once you take both those out, you will probably find Thai food to be incredibly bland!

Sugar comes in everything. Orange juice, smoothies, even rice is sometimes cooked in it. 'mey ow namtan' (not want sugar).

Sometimes, even asking for those ingredients will still get you them. Just like asking for no chilli... it just means you'll get a little 'less' - but Thai's believe that you have to have them in there for the taste, so will put it in regardless!

Watch out for aluminimum cookware. Lettuce is pretty much all hydroponic grown - don't think Grok did that... Oh, and a lot of vegetables and fruits and full of pesticides! Do a bit of research on the worst offenders. There are lots of studies that show extremely high levels on some foods - and some ingredients now are not allowed to be exported to the UK due to this reason. There are a couple of supermarkets (depending on where you are) that carry organic produce, and lots of organ meats, fats, and ingredients. Royal Project produce can also be good.