Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purposeful Lack of Nutrition? IF opinions page

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member

Purposeful Lack of Nutrition? IF opinions

Hey all,

After dinner last night I started my first 24 hour Intermittent Fast just to see how I felt during and afterwards. Been paleoish for almost 2 months and feel great, but still get that "carb hangover" after a weekend of cheating (which are becoming less frequent.) Figured I'd give my digestive system the day off to rest and recover and wanted to see what people around these parts think about IF. Tried it, love it, hate it? Let me know what you think.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm a huge fan of IF. i used to do the 24-36 hour kind once a week, but now i go with more of a leangains approach. my fasts are daily, and usually about 18 hours long, depending on the day. i love that i hardly ever get hungry, i always have tons of energy, and i think i appreciate food more than i did before i tried fasting.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    IF really works for me.

I was doing 16 hour daily fasts, moved to 20 hour fasts and now am pretty flexible, depending on my day's activities.

I seldom eat breakfast, but will sometime eat lunch & no dinner. Most days, no breakfast or lunch & then a 3pm snack & dinner between 5 & 8pm.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of IF. I use the daily 16 to 18 hour leangains style fasting with longer ones tossed in once in a while.

apple is offline Senior Member
    I'm planning on a 24 hour fast from lunch today to lunch tomorrow. Just for kicks, really

What would a 36-48 hour fast do metabolically? or a 72 hour fast? I know I've seen some links talking about that lately, but I can't seem to find them.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    IF requires discipline for most folks (at least at first). IF works (funny how life is like that, discipline equals effective). DFH likes to believe everyone has thyroid issues and that people should, for whatever reason, be afraid of not constantly eating. Here’s my suggestion, find people (Johnny over at Lean Saloon is one) who have been doing IF for awhile. See how many of them say their metabolism is broken and that they regret doing IF. I have yet to meet or correspond with anyone (myself included) who did not benefit from proper IF. Obviously people with outlying medical and/or psychological issues should use caution (but that applies to any changes such person would make in diet and/or lifestyle).

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    I'm planning on a 24 hour fast from lunch today to lunch tomorrow. Just for kicks, really

What would a 36-48 hour fast do metabolically? or a 72 hour fast? I know I've seen some links talking about that lately, but I can't seem to find them.
    If you go past 24 hrs regularly, you are stepping into the realm that there is almost no reliable information except passionate claims that it does not matter and anecdotes. IF'rs were caught off guard with the hormone/rT3 questions. See the link I posted above.

If the benefits of IF work at < 24 hrs, what would be the point of doing 72 hrs? Is there an assumption that benefits add cumulatively? At some interval and frequency there is a point where you start damaging metabolism. Don't let anyone convince you it can't be-they don't know. The only way to really know is do it so much that you damage your metabolism and write that down!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would also say that IF is not meant to be a "Lack of Nutrition" either. You still need your proper nutrition and IF alters the time in which you get nutrients that you need.

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Love the replies so far, definitely seems to be a lot of those in support of IF. I've pulled up a bunch of papers and I'm plowing through them as I type this. I don't want to take away from MDA at all but I'll be putting up a blog post about my personal experience with my fast today and what I could find on the web at some point tonight. I'll definitely give an abbreviated recap here too because I still get bothered when people shamelessly plug their blogs on forums, but it leads to visitors
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast