Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the 'best' alcohol to drink if wine is out? page 5

heartsamy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    What's the problem with the OP going to a bar?

Sorry -- years of bartending in 21+ counties.
    Amy--

And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    I have an interesting situation with boozes. I found out years ago that gin, even really good gin will give me a headache within an hour of drinking it. And I found out why. If I touch a Juniper bush I get little itching bumps. Guess what is in Gin?? Juniper berries. I have searched thru many vodkas trying to find one I could have a second drink of without feeling drunk & hungover withing 2 or 3 hours. I even tried a polish vodka made from potatoes, that worked for a while but in time it gave me a headache. I had always tried to have a clear drink thinking they were lowest in carbs & calories. Now I notice that most of the vodkas are made from(are ya ready for this?) Grain Spirits or Grain Neutral spirits ......that's not primal/paleo. And apparently my body doesn't like them.

Then last week I tried some of hubbys brandy on the rocks. No bad effects. Hmmmmm, what is brandy made from?? Distilled grapes, how interesting, that is on the primal/paleo list. Yes I know I could stop drinking, but that afternoon cocktail is so relaxing, in either the pool or the hot tub.

What think ye about the ingredient lists of particular boozes???
    Last edited by Nanzi; 05-28-2011 at 09:53 AM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanzi View Post
    I have an interesting situation with boozes. I found out years ago that gin, even really good gin will give me a headache within an hour of drinking it. And I found out why. If I touch a Juniper bush I get little itching bumps. Guess what is in Gin?? Juniper berries. I have searched thru many vodkas trying to find one I could have a second drink of without feeling drunk & hungover withing 2 or 3 hours. I even tried a polish vodka made from potatoes, that worked for a while but in time it gave me a headache. I had always tried to have a clear drink thinking they were lowest in carbs & calories. Now I notice that most of the vodkas are made from(are ya ready for this?) Grain Spirits or Grain Neutral spirits ......that's not primal/paleo. And apparently my body doesn't like them.

Then last week I tried some of hubbys brandy on the rocks. No bad effects. Hmmmmm, what is brandy made from?? Distilled grapes, how interesting, that is on the primal/paleo list. Yes I know I could stop drinking, but that afternoon cocktail is so relaxing, in either the pool or the hot tub.

What think ye about the ingredient lists of particular boozes???
    You might also do ok with rum and 100% agave tequila if you can't do grain spirits at all. Personally, I swell up like crazy if I eat a little wheat, but I can drink bourbon with no ill effects.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    vodka, soda, lime is my fave

although ive just found a recipe for a Gentleman Johnson (bourbon, cointreau, iced tea, mint, & lemon) that is calling my name..

Nanzi is offline Senior Member
    Daisy Eater, isn't bourbon mostly corn mash? Thinking back to the good ole boys mixing up sour mash.

Just checked and Bourbon, in the US to be called Bourbon, must be 51% corn, but the rest is grains. And bourbon makes me ill, always has, my parents drank it exclusively, and I can't stand even the smell of it.

I'm surprised that the contents of boozes can have such a profound effect on our bodies. Guess I shouldn't be after becoming Primal!!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanzi View Post
    Daisy Eater, isn't bourbon mostly corn mash? Thinking back to the good ole boys mixing up sour mash.

Just checked and Bourbon, in the US to be called Bourbon, must be 51% corn, but the rest is grains. And bourbon makes me ill, always has, my parents drank it exclusively, and I can't stand even the smell of it.

I'm surprised that the contents of boozes can have such a profound effect on our bodies. Guess I shouldn't be after becoming Primal!!
    Yep. My understanding is the gluten is gone, but maybe you're just extra sensitive. I'm more surprised the vodka gets you. Vodka is usually fractionally distilled or distilled repeatedly to get rid of as many of the non-alcohol components as possible. It's often filtered many times, too. Whisky and such use a pot distillation which keeps more of the cogeners and flavor components of the original fermented substance.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345