Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those who don't feel good on low carb- what do you eat? page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Question for those who don't feel good on low carb- what do you eat?

Primal Fuel
    I've found low carb stabilises my blood sugar but over time I have become more low and fatigued. Clear signs of low serotonin- PMS (never had it before!), much worse SAD this winter that I didn't come out of until I started 5-HTP, low mood, fatigue and so on.

I know I have a tendency to low serotonin, and that carbs help tryptophan across the blood-brain barrier, so it makes sense I could be vulnerable in this way.

Anyway, I know there are other paleo eaters who don't thrive on low or vlc, and I'd love it if you could share what you eat. Potatoes? Sweet potatoes? Parsnips? I am a bit wary of white rice since I have the blood sugar/ sugar craving issues to deal with as well, I cut out white carbs years ago due to that issue. How much? How often? Etc
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

batty is offline Senior Member
    potatoes, definitely. lots of sweet, the occasional red. and - dare i say - fruit. although i am more active than a lot of people, including more berries and bananas in my diet has definitely brought me out of the PMS funk - on VLC, the moontimes had me on the couch unable to move and not really wanting to do anything. Increasing the carbs has done wonders for my energy, strength, and now i am on my feet more often than i am on the couch. i was also able to chuck the 5HTP to the curb.

HTH.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Relosa is offline Member
    Are you making sure you're getting enough fat in your diet?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    As I have mentioned before, I'm one of those for whom sucrose works better than starch or fruit (in smallish amounts). I probably eat about 10-20 gm of sugar with my 1-2 meals a day. It doesn't seem to stimulate cravings as long as I don't eat more than 20 gm per meal and no more than 50 gm per day.

So yesterday, I had ~2 tsp. of sugar in my iced tea with a 10 oz burger and coleslaw for lunch then shortly afterward had a small gluten free cupcake. Right before dancing in the evening I had a small amount of chocolate (about 12 gm sugar.) And that was all. Felt great & had consistent energy all day when (walked 2-3 hours, did some LHT and & dance sprints during my 2 hour dance session.

Obviously, if any amount of sugar stimulates cravings for you, then this is not going to work!

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, beans occasionally, fermented buckwheat crepes occasionally, fruit 1-2 servings per day, rice noodles, whole-milk yogurt all come to mind.

Gordo

Thankyou. I wondered about trying buckwheat. I think I do better with sucrose in terms of blood sugar, but I don't know if it would trigger cravings. I suspect it would, psychologically if nothing else. Actually though, I am eating sucrose most days anyway, since one of my symptoms is that getting worse, and it's not making me feel better so maybe I need a bit of steady starches instead.

I bought some sweet potatoes and nice little new potatoes that'll be easy to cook up for lunches, and I have some buckwheat too, which I might try soaking a la WAP. And blueberries and strawberries.

And yeah, I eat lots of fat.

Batty, thanks especially for sharing your experience, it's encouraging to hear you've dealt with a similar thing and been able to solve it and still do well on primal
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 05-27-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

teamommy is offline Member
    I also do better with additional carbs. Yesterday I took my children out for sushi and obviously had some white rice (first in quite a while) later on the day I had three lychee fruits and strawberries with dinner. Strangely enough I dropped weight this morning. I work out hard and have a heck of a time losing fat. I have actually been gaining weight lately (muscle increase not body fat but body fat wasn't dropping) so to see a drop after eating white rice and fruit was curious. I have a weakness for rice so I won't be eating it again any time soon. White rice is comfort food and very dangerous for me. I used to eat it several times a day.

Every time I drop to VLC nothing happens other than not being able to make it through a workout and being starved all day. I may have a banana or a tropical fruit here and there. I eat a good amount of berries. Sweet potatoes maybe once a month. I do eat fruit daily but again I stick with the berries. If I eat too much of the sweeter fruits or even chocolate I tend to feel quite ill. Unless I have a lot of veggies and light fruit daily I have a hard time with energy. If I replace the fruit with extra fat my system slows way down and I feel horrible. I have been paleo for awhile and my reaction to too much fat has always been roughly the same.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I eat a shit-ton of sweet potatoes.

If I get the big ones, I usually have 1/2 of one to one every day. That's my main starch/carb and since I've added it I have tons more energy, stay full longer and have dropped fat and size (not sure about weight I don't weigh myself).

LowER carb never really worked for me, I do best between 50-75g of carbs, sometimes up to 90, but that's a rarity even with all the sweet potatoes!!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    As pretty much the majority have said here....sweet potatoes. I do carb refeeds on weight days, so on non-weight days, I'm sticking between 50-100g, and then up that by another 100-150g on weight days. I usually do this with sweet potatoes....though white rice does occasionally sneak in there as well.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am thinking since my blood sugar reacted badly to half a sweet potato when I tried it, maybe I'll start really small. say half a sweet potato per day, split between my 3 meals. Still a fair bit more carb but not too much at once.

Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast