Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before I buy the book..can PB work with these dietary limitations? page

Pippa is offline Junior Member

Before I buy the book..can PB work with these dietary limitations?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've spent a couple fascinating hours on this site and am definitely intrigued. I just wonder if the following issues are incompatible with PB...

1) I have a dairy allergy.

2) After avoiding carbs for a lot of last year, my cholesterol has spiked and my Dr. has recommended that I eat as little meat as possible. Does anyone know if there is an alternative/healthy way to lower my cholesterol? I know about oatmeal, but that is considered a grain, right?

3) Without grains or caffeine, I am the droopiest person around. I have gone for a few months without carbs before and the low energy never passed (although admittedly I did not quit caffeine). I've seen a couple posts about how energy is supposed to return to normal after a few weeks...that has never been the case for me. Any thoughts on this?

I've been trying to live on vegetables, nuts, berries, fish and vitamins & supplements on my own but inevitably I am starving for some carbs to give me that full feeling (I have to eat often). I suppose with an increase of fat & protein this would go away? But what about my cholesterol issue?

Any help is appreciated!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
    I've spent a couple fascinating hours on this site and am definitely intrigued. I just wonder if the following issues are incompatible with PB...

1) I have a dairy allergy.

2) After avoiding carbs for a lot of last year, my cholesterol has spiked and my Dr. has recommended that I eat as little meat as possible. Does anyone know if there is an alternative/healthy way to lower my cholesterol? I know about oatmeal, but that is considered a grain, right?

3) Without grains or caffeine, I am the droopiest person around. I have gone for a few months without carbs before and the low energy never passed (although admittedly I did not quit caffeine). I've seen a couple posts about how energy is supposed to return to normal after a few weeks...that has never been the case for me. Any thoughts on this?

I've been trying to live on vegetables, nuts, berries, fish and vitamins & supplements on my own but inevitably I am starving for some carbs to give me that full feeling (I have to eat often). I suppose with an increase of fat & protein this would go away? But what about my cholesterol issue?

Any help is appreciated!
    OK, avoid dairy. Or use ghee (clarified butter).

You do need protein. You don't have to eat meat, but it is the best source of good protein.

Yes, oatmeal is a grain. Try to avoid it.

Make sure to get plenty of fat. If you are not comfortable with animal fat, use lots of coconut oil, avocados and olive oil.

Yes, meat and fat will help you feel satisfied and more energetic. It is too late for me to pull together a coherent explanation of why they are not harmful. The research on low carb/moderate fat and meat diets has all shown that *in the long run* they are healthier than low fat/high carb diets. Search for MDA posts.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 05-26-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Also, search for Griff's Cholesterol Primer (I'm sure someone can link it). If you post your cholesterol numbers, someone here can help you out.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What kind of low carb eating were you previously doing? Close to primal?

Also, what are your goals?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Pippa;

Stick around. If this group puts it's thoughts together, they will get you sorted out.

The cholesterol primer is in the Primal Research section I think. It's probably a lot better than what most dr's will tell you.

I dont know if the oatmeal=less cholesterol claim has any truth to it.

I'm sure people will be asking why you think more meat drives it up. Do you know your CRP?

No problem with no dairy. Whoever said that was a food group anyway!?

The "I'm starving for carbs, I have to eat often" thing shows that carbs are not working for you, at least whatever carbs you have been getting.

I'm not a fan of carbs myself, but the people here that are know the better choices.

Pippa is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info so far. I will try to find my cholesterol numbers and post them.

As for protein...doesn't PB say to avoid beans? I don't feel comfortable with protein powder. What does that leave? Just nuts?

The kind of low-carb I was doing: I eliminated wheat due to an allergy. I tried to avoid potatoes and corn and any simple carbs. I did occasionally allow myself bread made from rice or millet.

I skimmed over Griff's primer since I don't know what my own numbers are at this point. It sounds helpful though.

Due to the wheat allergy and my doctor's recommendation that I avoid all gluten, PB sounds like a dream come true as long as the cholesterol issue is a non-issue. And as long as I can get past the no-energy thing.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    No need for dairy, it's just convenient. So that's easy to avoid.

As for cholesterol, mostly dietary cholesterol doesn't influence your cholesterol. The doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.

As for energy and carbs, there's no problem with carbs as long as they're from primal sources. So mostly tubers and some fruits. White rice is no more or less simple than potato, so I see no reason to prefer rice over potato.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddibot View Post
    No need for dairy, it's just convenient. So that's easy to avoid.

As for cholesterol, mostly dietary cholesterol doesn't influence your cholesterol. The doctor doesn't know what he's talking about.

As for energy and carbs, there's no problem with carbs as long as they're from primal sources. So mostly tubers and some fruits. White rice is no more or less simple than potato, so I see no reason to prefer rice over potato.
    A potato is from the nightshade family. Those with autoimmune disorders, leaky gut issues, or sensativaties to tomatoes and peppers would do well to avoid them. Yams and sweet potatoes, otoh, are NOT nightshades and ok in moderation.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Since you asked about beans...they are not primal. Some people will say that you can eat them on occasion if you soak them overnight and then rinse them again because it pulls out some of the anti-nutrients. But it sounds to me like most people avoid them. You could try doing that and see if it agrees with you, but I would try to avoid them at first if I were you. I'm a big fan of starting out as primal as I can go (so a whole30, search if you haven't seen that term yet), then adding in other things one at a time to see how my body handles them. So far I've figured out that I can't have dairy except for butter, and that too many nuts give me indigestion, as well as chocolate and raw vegetables. So you can see how that could be helpful--it's like an elimination diet. Heh, I haven't even given beans a thought because if I can't digest raw lettuce, I certainly can't handle beans

And we're back to beans--were you eating them when you were trying low carb? Because they might be the answer to your fatigue and hunger issues. It'd be really hard to eat low carb and low protein at the same time long term. Don't let your doctor scare you out of eating meat. Make sure you eat a variety; wild caught fish is great, as is grass-fed beef, pastured eggs and chicken, etc. If you believe the science behind eating paleo, then you should inherently NOT believe your doc's advice to avoid meat. It's hard to go against what they tell you to do since they have that degree behind their names, but you've done your own research and seen the evidence here, whereas not all docs stay up to date with the latest research. So give it a try for 30 days and see how you feel!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I agree with apple.

Give PB the 30 day trial and take some time to experiment. apple's point made me think that it doesn't have to be a specific macronutrient question (adjust relative percentage of carbs, fat, protein). Maybe its a specific food or a few. People with digestive issues have to learn how to troubleshoot by elimination, but they are doing it one food item at a time, not a whole macronutrient category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast